Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dexter has been gnawing at his rump for about a week now. He has tried to pluck it bald and it's pretty scabby. I guess I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow. I tried sulfadene (pppppeeeeee-eeeewwww!) and that only stopped him temporarily. So I'm guessing he'll get a steroid shot. I thought hot spots were from flea allergy, but he has never had a flea. My mom-in-law said her dog had to have a shot and she doesn't have fleas either. Her vet told her they can be allergic to ragweed. If my itchy eyes are any indicator, I'd say it's pretty bad here.

Wonder if he'll get a lolly pop after his shot?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Chase had a hot spot on his tail not too long ago and they wound up shaving it and putting some type of topical solution on it. He looked so funny with a big bald spot on his tail!

Chloe has something called puppy psoriasis (similar to teenage acne...yuck) that they are treating with antibiotics. Poor girl has lost most of her hair except that on her head. They are going to shave her in 2 weeks so that we can start from scratch on the hair issue. I keep telling her that she is going to be the most gorgeous doodle ever once we get past these issues...she is just in her "ugly duckling" stage right now. :oops:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
"What causes a hot spot?
There is usually an inciting factor to initiate the extreme licking and scratching behavior. Look for fleas, mites, or other external parasites, an insect sting or bite, allergies (food, inhalant, contact), or injury (skin wound, scrape, etc.). Some animals have been known to "start" a hot spot out of boredom or stress-related psychological problems." (Which is what Montana did)

So there are a variety of possible causes.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Like Tink said,,,,there are multiple reasons for hot spots, external like fleas etc , stress or a allergies to foods or whatnot.

hope the vet is able to provide more info and medicine that will aid in it getting healed quickly!! keep us posted...thanks

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's been much worse since Kevin left for the boat. He watches the window waiting for him to come home. He talked to him on the phone last night on speaker phone. It was so cute, when I cut off the speaker and began my conversation again, he tried to pry his way between me and the phone. He misses daddy badly. I'm trying to be extra attentive and patient with him these days.

He did get a sting on the rump awhile back. He did a tuck and duck and bit at his rump when coming in from outside. But I couldn't find a welp and he got over it in an instant.

He goes tomorrow at 4:00 to see the vet. Wish me luck that I can control him. He is so in love with the office staff that keeping him down is a chore, even with daddy along.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talk about a wild ride to the vet's office! Usually daddy is with us and can calm Dexter down somewhat. Not today! We started with Dexter "sled-dogging" me down the 3 flights of stairs to the car. At least he's good in the car. But then we get there and there's all sorts of people and dogs to play with. He flirted with a sweet black lab named Sassy. And of course he flirted with his human girlfriends there. He was bouncing off the walls so much, he didn't even know the doc stuck him with a needle.

The vet said he doesn't have any fleas, so the itching (as you already all told me) could be anything from corn to wheat to anxiety. He said we can run all sorts of expensive allergy tests, or just give a shot and alleviate the symptoms. So we got the shot. He says it should take affect within 12 to 24 hours and last 6 to 8 weeks.

We're back home and Mr. socialite is laying at my feet recovering from his romp at the vet.

Oh, and he got doggie treats at the bank too, almost forgot that part.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Wow
Sounds like a great time for you Dexter all things considered
I am hanging around the house way to much for my liking
but Mom saids I am on bedrest and I do not like it.
But I am getting extra treats and toys.

Woof woof
Hope you get better real soon

Denver

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's now been 7 hours since the shot and NO chewing! Yay! I told Kevin when the rump is healed, he's going to the groomer for the first time (Dexter, not Kevin :lol: :lol:) For some reason, Kevin is opposed to getting him groomed. I think it's because his mom takes his former dog Truman and gets him shaved nearly bald all the time and Kevin hates it.

But his fur looks like crap since the allergy and he needs a fresh do. I told Kevin that one advantage of him being gone for 30 days is that I can get by with stuff like that while he's gone :lol:

Now I just have to decide if I want to go with Petco or a local private groomer.

P.S. Denver, you just lay around like mommy says, so your foot doesn't get infected. Be a good boy and you'll be chasing squirrels very soon, honey.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
aww good luck - if you don't have a good reference for a groomer - stop in at both of them, with Dexter - see how they react to him and he to them - go with your instinct on that one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts