Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope, the special needs rescue doodle, Update (pics)
Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:24

Yesterday morning I picked Hope up after her surgery. She has a big hip incision with staples in it, and a smaller incision on her side from the spay, with stitches. As far as incisions go, they look great - very neat, clean and tightly closed. I'll remove the staples in 7 - 10 days, and Hope will go back to the vet for a checkup in one month.

Hope has three pills to take each morning, and two at night. Wow, she does NOT like taking pills and clamps her mouth closed so tight I cannot wedge it open. I wrestled with her yesterday morning, but by last night she had enough appetite that I was able to hide her pills in meat chunks. Much easier!
She hasn't started eating kibble yet, but I cooked her up some chicken breast and boneless pork loin and she likes that. She'll also eat cottage cheese and I can mix Activa yogurt with it so she'll eat that. IDOGMa suggested the Activa to help restore the good digestive bacterias.
I'll give her whatever she will eat at this point. The vet said she has absolutely NO subcutaneous fat on her body, and that it'll take quite a while to fatten her back up to normal weight. You can see how bony she is where her hair is shaved off. She is literally skin and bones, but the fluffy hair helped to hide how grotesque she looks underneath. She weighs only 44 lbs, but is pretty tall and I would guess she'll weigh around 60 lbs when she gets back to her proper weight.
Before surgery, she was using her "bad" leg slightly. When I picked her up I was almost horrified to see it just hanging loose and swinging freely - it looked worse than it had been! The vet said since there is no longer any "joint" at the hip, that the leg will hang loose until scar tissue forms. It looks scary, and it is harder for Hope to walk now that she truly has only 3 functioning legs.
But, this morning I was really glad to see that it looks like Hope is actually able to hold that leg up maybe an inch. It doesn't look like it is swingy so wildly now, but more like she has a slight control over it.
Hope's feeling much perkier this morning, wagging her tail and so happy to cross paths with my cat on our way outside to go potty. She seems to love cats! This morning she was laying with her bad hip underneath her, which I took as a good sign. Before her surgery, she would only lay with the bad hip UP.

I'm working on a web page to keep an archive of Hope's progress, so those just learning about her will be able to go back and read her whole story.
The short version: She roamed a neighborhood for 3 weeks before someone took her to a shelter in KY. She has a broken hip, and was rescued from certain death through the efforts of IDOG.biz and PooMixRescue.com. IDOG is paying her veterinary fees, and accepts donations that go into a fund specifically set up to help save dogs like Hope. I'm Hope's foster mom, and she'll live here with me until she recovers from her surgery and then she'll be adopted into a forever home. Anyone considering adding an older doodle to their home should consider Hope, she has a wonderful personality, loves everybody - including cats! She would be great with kids too.

Doesn't she look so sad? I bet she is so confused over all the activity she's had in the last week. At least now she can settle into a routine here and start to feel like this is "home".

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
aww Poor Girl

I guess i mised all this,,It is just so wonderful that she was rescued as soon as i get a couple of pups sold i will donate to this cause,,just makes me wanna cry,,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I heard from her very briefly, I imagine she is a busy woman right now.
Did a vet here do her surgery or down in Kentucky? Always good to know a kind and good vet.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A vet by you did the surgery.. I will find out the name of the vet for you. She really is very busy right now. I know when she picked up Hope that the day she got her was her only free day.. She has puppies, and obviously Hope requires a lot of attention as well.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Shannon, thanks so much for posting this info.
I know what you mean, Maureen...I recall little Jett too, all of those horrible stories about her operations...but look at her now! I can only hope for a similar happy ending for this sweet dog.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thanks Shannon! I saw him at the recent doodle romp...but didn't recognize him! He had a haircut and was sitting right by me, waiting for his hello! (He says, "I don't look like no Poodle!" (But, between you and me...he does! LOL)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thanks for posting this page. I hope that everyone who is able to will donate a bit to help for Hope's care.
Theresa is a very kind person and I am proud that she is a friend...she has a good heart, as you can tell by her sacrifice and love for Hope.
Thanks to Jo and Shannon and to the fine folks at IDOG!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts