Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I have a 2 year old healthy labradoodle named Keah. With all of the pet food recalls, I'm considering making my own food for her to eat. (might be cheaper, too) She averages 51-53 pounds and we take at least a one mile to 4 mile walks each day, plus playing fetch and roughhousing with my daughters. My question is: How much to feed her based on her weight and activity level? What ratio of meat to carbs (vegies, starch, etc) is best- I've heard two potiens to one carb. Also, I've heard of feeding raw meat, but I'm not sure I want to do that. She's been eating dry dog food (natural choice) most of her life with treats like hot dogs, cheese, etc.) Also, are there certain foods to avoid, like onions, grapes???? If anyone out there has any advice or can recommend a book to get info from, I'd appreciate it. Thanks so much! LaVonne Bluhm in Mpls, MN

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahaha thanks Becky...Annmarie now steps up to PODIUM and says:

HI!!
Ok for starters you can boil rice or oatmeal. chicken , venison (both are lean meats) even beef.

You can add 1 teaspoon of pumpkin to each meal....also a 1/4 slice of sweet potatoe ( not more as it can give diarrhea or mushy poops)

I also added Omega 3 tabs 1000mg ONCE a day...i cut it open and squeeze onto the food.

I had given papaya chewable tablets....1 pill for 18-45lb and pills if 45lb+ ONLY once a day

NOW you can add some dry dog food like canidae or calif natural both not on recalled lists
and/or a small amount of canned Canidae all life stages

how much? well I stated out 50/50 at first graduating down meaing

1/4 slice of sweet potatoe, 1 teaspoon of pumpkin ( or can alternate with yougurt or cottage cheese again a teaspoon once a day),
then i added 1/3 cup of rice OR oatmeal, to 1/4 cup chicken and 1/4 cup of either beef or venison,

NOW i use 1 cup Canidae dry to 1/3 cup oatmeal with 1/3 cup chicken with Pumpkin

I alternte the sweet potatoe.........YOU can chop up the chicken and mix in with the Oatmeal, adding 1 teaspoon of pumpkin to 1 cup of oatmeal and also add in beef or venison too. This makes things easier when serving them their meals and also easier on you. I have been cooking since last December hahahhahaa!!!

any other questions just PM me....then again others here do a BARF and/or raw diet. Some also do similar feedings too and am sure they'll post them soon here.

Main thing....do NOT give avocado as it's toxic to a dogs system ...in very tiny amounts sparingly it' s ok. Then ther'e supplements to give them if you want ....I think others use NutriVet??? or something like that.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yep, Ann Marie is our resident expert there!
There are lots of resources online that give ideas too...and you can get books through Amazon.com that are used, but helpful.
You are wise to go to home cooking! There is just too much going on now.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI...LaVonne how is it coming along? did my PM make sense to you?

G

·
I was thinking about using real food, too. I'm kind of just doing a halfway thing, mixing real food with her kibble. :D
Anyway, I did read the ratio should be 40% meat, 30% vegetables and 30% carbs.
And I would supplement with a vitamin...and add half a tablespoon of olive oil or flaxseed oil to each feeding.
And change over slowly!
Meat: chicken better than ground meat, fish is an option.
Carbs: Brown rice is ALOT better than white rice and rolled oats are an option, too and I also read pasta!? or potatoes?!
Best veggie: carrots, need to be pureed, some use baby food jars for convenience.
Cottage cheese or yogurt can be used as protein instead of meat sometimes, occasionally.

And I did find this food (Timberwolf) that claims(among other good things):
Our Southwest Chicken & Herbs has over 10 lbs of chicken and fish meal for every 20 lbs of dog food and includes eight protein sources...
Very interesting website, click just to hear the wolf howl :lol:
http://timberwolforganics.com/

I might consider trying it, although it is expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone's input. I'll probably start out with a combination of food (kibble + home made). My dog loves salmon (gets some of the scraps mixed in with her food from time to time. Just want my gal happy and healthy! LaVonne (and Keah)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wow......Salmon that is one lucky dog :wink: and good luck! :D :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.