Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know that Ann Marie is working on a good diet for her dogs and has kindly shared her discoveries with us so I thought I'd share this link.
Someone sent it to me today. I like the entire web site (compassion for animals is the theme) but specifically this link: http://tedeboy.tripod.com/drmichaelwfox/id19.html
This gives a recommended diet for dogs and cats and in this day of bad things happening to commercial dog/cat foods, I thought this might be a welcome change.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am happy it is helpful!
Yes, Maureen, the satin ball recipie is a good one and should be posted, I think. I don't believe that I have seen it here.

I just spoke to my vet about the dog food thing...she didn't think it was the cause of my puppy's illness, but couldn't be sure because it is really unknown. But since he recovered so quickly and well, she doubts renal failure. (Which makes me happy!) Then, to my question about what food to use, she suggested Evo. She said that they sell it (surprise? LOL) and that it has not been on any of the recall lists.

Anyone use Evo? Any comments about it?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jac EVO aka innova is a good dog food. however many dogs like max have had bad gas with it. It's a great food though if your dog tolerates it.
I also used the EVO dog treats in the past too.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
SATIN BALLS

HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR SATIN BALLS

first here's the link:
http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

The following recipe was sent to Wellpet by Diana Carreon, R.N.,C. It quickly became one of the most requested posts on Wellpet.

Ingredients

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

I HIGHLY recommend clicking on the link for the comments and more info about feeding. This recipe WILL put some weight on a dog, and there's a comment about usage on that web page.

Best wishes!

We have puppies due in April and I'm getting excited to gather the stuff to make a batch already! This was a fabulous supplement to get weight back on my whelping bitches. :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Becky there is 2 kinds of total: one kind is just like Wheaties the other one it total corn cereal aka corn flakes. :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I was all set to try this recipe then remembered that about 3 weeks ago there was a ground beef recall........ecoli......how do you avoid something like this when you feed raw hamburger? :cry:

G

·
Hi Annie'
I found some info on this issue...Maybe someone else has some facts, but basically what I read is that dogs digestive system was made to handle raw meat and bacteria does not affect them like it does humans:
Dogs have short, acidic digestive tracts and food goes through them much quicker than it does humans. Salmonella and E. Coli are seldom an issue unless the animal is very sick, because the food moves quickly throughout the system so bacteria doesn't have a chance to thrive.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
well, I guess as a consumer I wouldn't want to PAY for hamburger that had a risk of e.Coli, :wink: but it is rarely if ever a problem with a dog. They don't live a germ-free life, and most of the time, it's ok! I make the Satin Balls for my girls that need to put weight back on after whelping, and man, o man, do they jump on those! And I freeze the ones that aren't going to get eaten before a day or so. Thaw, and enjoy.

Now, because of HUMAN bacteria issues I always wash my hands after handling the raw meat mixture, of course! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Annie...chicken and venison also lamb are lean meats which may be used as a substitution untill you can find safe beef.

Here i am like maureen, i constantly wash my hands and countertops whenever working with any type of meat due to bacteria. For me doesn't matter if its for humans and/or doodles. I play it safe even though i had the shots for it along with a 10yr booster ----it was for when i used to vacation in mexico.

And i know raw diets are okay but i always boil the meats just to be safe. Then again we dealt with worms more than i care to recall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts