Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a grownup doodle! Last night we were going to run down to our local restaurant for dinner after a day spent cutting up and packaging a deer, and I decided to leave Chouette uncrated. She's terrific in the car when I leave her there, and she's been alone in the house at times while we were outside doing something that wasn't doodle-friendly. She was also great about not raiding the scrap bucket full of deer bits when I went down to the basement to put packages of roast and stew away. So I thought I'd try it, although she's not quite 8 months old.

DH closed the door to his den and to the downstairs bathroom, and we gave her a cheese-stuffed bone and another treat and calmly walked out the door. When we got back an hour and a half later she was lying peacefully on her bed by the woodstove, and didn't even get up when I came in. How mature and dignified we are! There were no treats left in her bone and no inroads on any of our belongings. I still don't think it's time to take out the Navajo rug that goes in front of the stove, but I'm impressed.

What a good Chouette!

Leslie

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Wow Chouette, what a grown up girl you are! Good job! Mom hasn't trusted me that much yet. My human brother warns me that mom is a real worry wart about everything. Maybe someday I can be a big girl too. I want to show mom I can do it. I'll really try hard to not be mischievous in the back yard with digging, branch shredding, etc........ then maybe she'll believe....

Your friend, Cali

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I wonder if we will ever get to this point. Congratulations, Chouette! Tell us your secret - how did you manage to leave things alone?!

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
that is so nice to hear Leslie and WOW chouette didnt' raid the deer bits! amazing!

Max is 17mos old and i wonder about leaving just him out alone with Peanut and Beau crated. i am not afraid of him chewing just that if both DAVE and I leave he cries and stays at the window or door the whole time as my parents stated and daughter too. whereas he is totally fine in his crate

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Can Beau and Peanut see Max if he isnt in his crate?? Will they go nuts with him out and they are in???

Coco would.
She pretty much hates the crate.....but she is going to have to get used to it again. Shhhhhh, she doesn't know it. :roll:

GOOD JOB, CHOU!!! I TRY TO DO ALL THE RIGHT THINGS WHEN MOM LEAVES ME OUT TO GUARD.....I ONLY ATE TWO PINE CONES ONCE....BUT HAVEN'T DONE THAT AGAIN!!!
COCO :lol:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Congrats! I can't wait!! What a good doodle!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DebBrown said:
I wonder if we will ever get to this point. Congratulations, Chouette! Tell us your secret - how did you manage to leave things alone?!

Deb

Don't forget, guys, it was only the one time. But she normally doesn't get into things when she's alone. Not that she doesn't raid wastepaper baskets and dgd's pencils and other goodies at other times, but she kind of brings them to us and lets us remove them easily. The only thing she's really tenacious about is dead animal parts, like those well-seasoned bird carcasses the cat so obligingly leaves for her to happen upon.

So although I'm proud of her, she may well decide another time that she's bored, or go through another Stage or two....

Leslie

G

·
Way to go Chou!!! My mom let me out of my crate last night while she was gone for 6 hours. I was very good too!!! Maybe if we continue to big good we won't have to go in our crates!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
High five, Maya! Or maybe it's four, since our dewclaws bit the dust? Anyway, congratulations to you, too! Boy, six hours! But if we get to stay out of our crates, that's so cool! Gotta remember, gotta remember - no shoelaces, no toilet paper...I think I can, I think I can.....

Chouette

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MaxandMe said:
that is so nice to hear Leslie and WOW chouette didnt' raid the deer bits! amazing!

Max is 17mos old and i wonder about leaving just him out alone with Peanut and Beau crated. i am not afraid of him chewing just that if both DAVE and I leave he cries and stays at the window or door the whole time as my parents stated and daughter too. whereas he is totally fine in his crate
Annmarie, it sounds as though Max doesn't feel as secure when he's not crated. Maybe if it gets to the point where they can all be free it would work, because then he'd have companions while you were away. I guess they're all different, aren't they?

Leslie

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cocoandjane said:
Can Beau and Peanut see Max if he isnt in his crate?? Will they go nuts with him out and they are in???

Coco would.
She pretty much hates the crate.....but she is going to have to get used to it again. Shhhhhh, she doesn't know it. :roll:

GOOD JOB, CHOU!!! I TRY TO DO ALL THE RIGHT THINGS WHEN MOM LEAVES ME OUT TO GUARD.....I ONLY ATE TWO PINE CONES ONCE....BUT HAVEN'T DONE THAT AGAIN!!!
COCO :lol:
Replying belatedly - why is Coco going to have to get used to the crate again?

Leslie (I won't tell Chouette!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts