Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone... i was wondering if anyone else has done what i have for their dogs, horses, cats. Meaning give them supplements and see a huge difference in digestive problems, coat, skin etc

I have done extensive research for Max the past 2mos and also in the past for my 3 kids when they had severe illness that made their digestive systems go haywire for 6 weeks at a time!!! and yes diarrhea, then allergies, rashes , etc

OK, when a bland diet , antibiotics, etc don't work I said" that's it. I will find out HOW to get Max's intestinal tract to calm down, heal, and get his health back myself!!!!"( did the same for my kids in past)
Max's health was deteriorating....his coat was dry,dull , brittle, he starting loosing chunks of hair and shedding bad, his eyelids got angry red, he had diarrhea 24/7, stopped drinking water, was getting to be a couch potato, and lost weight .
Also, Max on and off for 4mos has had what we term "sensitvie tummy" issues along with diarrhea.

I come from an island in the Outer Banks NC originally. When i grew up doctors were over an hour away including hospitals, we didn't use vets either as they tooo were too far away----yet we all seemed healthy both dogs, cats, humans and farm animals. WHY? because of what we ate as we ate natural foods daily and there wasn't supplements on store shelves then. We also had to fight infections from certain marine .plant life and more.

Before i list what I now feed Max and Peanut with truly amazing results that have even shocked my friends, family and NOW Vets-- that said to keep doing what i am doing and am documenting this both for myself and my vets...also 2 breeders are using this diet as well as of today for their breeding females and horses too.... does anyone else have problems with digestion, allergies, dry or dull coat, etc?

I am not a huge healthnut like my parents but do realize dog food is processed. What i mean is there's a difference between squeezing an orange and drinking that juice and buying a carton made from concentrate. both are good just one has more nutrient value over the other.

I'll list some ingredients later today but this is a topic/conversation for once i would like to knock around and list both what i use and results achieved ...also i want to pique your interest and get you thinking about your doodle's health or issues at times and YOURSELF as well.

hint: one supplement is Omega 3 which we all know and I take
then ther's sweet potato and MORE on the list to come.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
ann marie,

I strongly believe in natural organic products and I couldnt agree more with you about fresh over processed regardless of the amount of processing it will always change the makeup of the original food product.

I believe balance is the key and dont even get me started on hybrid or genetically engineered food.

Now sometimes my beliefs and my budget or time frame dont allow for 100% adhering to what I believe, but I would always stand by somebody making a change to real stuff!

Oh why is it called holistic? Shouldnt it just be "real"?

M~

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called it holistic due to it just being natural and back to basics

IN the first 12hours Max's eyes were med pink not red, he had his 1st solid firm poop in 7 weeks, and woke up feeling energetic, happier and with his old spring in his step. HIs attitude seem less lethargic and more alert, attentive and yet a calmer attitude with me and peanut.

After one week: his coat is shing up, shedding is greatly reduced, his hair is feeling soft again and not coarse,wire textured. He also hasn't gone for the kitchen garbage in a week!

It is not costly what i am doing and it isn't replacing dog food but for now neither Max nor Peanut can be on dog food.

I give them papaya, sweet potato, green algae , and Omega 3
along with pumpkin.

I'll post later today the nutrtional qualites of each. There also has been studies done on humans, dogs, cats and exotic animals on aglae given and the major health improvements.

My dad and i are also using ourselves as guniea pigs with the agae as we both eat lots of sweet potatos regularly and he used to eat papaya regularly. we already take omega 3 capsules.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
How much omega 3 are you giving Max? What is the algae good for?
I would love to be organic, we raised most of our food "back home" (eastern IN) but now we live in an area that's not quite so fertile. I guess I'm used to rain in the summers and even though the soil was clay, it wasn't as hard as it is in Kansas. It's like concrete! (hence the grass problem :wink: )
Cinnamon doesn't have a digestive problem like Max, I do have to watch what I give her though. The gas can be terrible!! :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok everyone...give me little time and i'll post the dosages etc and also if you want you can PM with your email address too. I have to run errands for the next few hours and won't be able to post again till 6pm eastern standard time. hahahha i also have to drop by the breeders as she is putting her breeding female on a trial run with this for the next 3 days.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
omega = fish right?
algea = seaweed right?
papaya and sweet potato?

sounds like what I ate the 5 years I lived in hawaii

:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I firmly believe in the holistic diet since I saw improvements in my Dane. I now feed:

• Eagle Pack Holistic food
    Nzymes - digestive enzymes
    Ox-e-Drops - anti-viral/anti-fungal/anti-bacterial
    4-in-1 Probiotics - probiotics
    K-9 Liquid Health - glucosamine & msm

Seems like a lot of stuff, but actually much cheaper in the long run than prescriptions.

I got some of my information and product suggestions from a local pet store, but most of the advice came from an excellent web site called:

http://greatdanelady.com/articles.htm

The site specializes in Great Danes, but is a great resource for all breeds. My doodle is on the same diet.

These kind of diets do call for a bit of patience and persistence. Not a problem when I'm mixing up their breakfast, but kind of a choir to get other family members to mix things up. I'm considering mixing stuff up in daily batches for a week at a time and using my foodsealer to create daily packages so family just has to open a pouch.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Which Eagle Pack Holistic product do you feed?

I have been feeding Tanner the Eagle Pack Large Breed Puppy but now that he is 6 months old I understand that I am to switch him to adult. He is not that big...only 40 lbs and 21" tall....I don't know if that is considered large breed/giant breed or not?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mix up the next meal right in Max's and Peanut's dishes, wrap them in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator so anyone can feed them the meal when I am at work.

I am an advocate of dog food but when a dog has digestive problems, worms and/or allergies dog food alone can't always do the trick.
Or maybe I should say we can boost a dogs immune system also inexpensively. AT the moment neither dog is on dog food as their intestinal tracts got really irratated by roundworms.

I give sweet potatoes daily freshly cooked , a big thing of Yougurt is $2.50 at Walmart which is giving real sparingly as SBD's can erupt...ground beef $1.99 lb....chicken bought in bulk also cheap $2.39lb? can't remember.Rice we all know about.

Papaya chewables $4.97 for 180 tabs ...start with 2 a day initially for 5 days then one a day. Super Blue Green Algae $5.97 for 90 capsules. Give one a day in food. I buy OMEGA 3 for myself and share with dogs wh/costs $8.98 at Sam's club for 400 softgels ...one a day for dogs and me :wink:
Sweet Potatoes 99cents lb ....about $3 a week at most cause i am always sneaking some for me too :wink: , canned pumpkin $1.59 for large can that lasts too long as i give 1 tblspn a day.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Papaya: digestive enzyme also known as pancreatic enzyme.
Aids in digestion by stimulating the breakdown and absorption of fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Also known to stimulate the appetite as well. Is a natural and a source of Papain, Chlorine, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vit A and C and Silicon Sodium

Additionally, once digestive enzymes are absorbed in the body it has both anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effects! Allergists believe that the general theory is Undigested proteins are a major reason for allergies to kick in.

Sweet Potatoes:
rich source of Vitamin A, C, and E, fat free and cholesterol free. Is one of the the best low-fat source of vitamin E. Aids in a healthier heat and good soure of antioxidants. Also can help protect against inflammatory conditions.

Sweet potatos a natrual way for the body to obtain: carotene, fiber, vitamin C& E, iron, potassium, zinc,and carbohydrates.

Super BlueGreen Algae: a natuarl source of algae and chlorophyll, kelp, and spirulina aka green food. It puts the "wild" back in thedog diet just naturally ! It has been used to treat skin and coat disorders, general malaise with reports of even older dogs having more vitality. Also it enhances the behaviour, meaning better alertness, training, and overall health.

Max and Peanut are living proof in my house. firm poops that are now odorless!
A 7yr study also was conducted on animals that were severly infected, starved, abused etc. Humans report the same effects as shown with animals. Rescue shelter are now using it for dogs that ususally would be put down due to extreme poor health/illness including neglect.
You can't overdose on it, is concentrated and not processed.

Kelp aka seaweed contains special diease fighting properties along with amino acides, vitamins (bit time b complex), calcium and potassium,
iodine, which stimulates and tones the thyroid gland that controls metabolism. Kelp also detoxifies the intestines.

Spirulina: hence the "blue-green" algae...known to revitalize and tone the body providing more natural energy. And stimulates the
nervous systems neurochemcials which then creates and "up" happy mood/feeling.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gene said:
Annmarie...can you do "doodle meals-on-wheels" to Ohio?? Jonah says he's hungry and his dad is too lazy! :wink:
SUE and GENE...no problem can ya do paypal first? or would you rather callme with your dinner request and I can FED EX it to both of you :wink:

There's also a surcharge for my gourmet cooking skills...any particular spices you too like ? :D

And sue...i have seen Ghost but don't understand the joke and/or connection hahhaha uh can you elaborate??? thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Quote:
Jonah says he's hungry and his dad is too lazy!

Annmarie:
Have you ever seen the movie Ghost?
If so than I say Ditto
In the movie Ghost he never said the words I love You
he would always say Ditto after She said I love you.
I did not want to repeat everything Gene said so I just said Ditto
Was trying to be funny and saving the extra typing words but now am having to write a book to explain myself. Serves me right. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I, too, am a strong advocate of a holistic approach to things, for my animals and myself.

As to why it's called "holistic," it is called that because the holistic approach treats the Whole being (nutritional, emotional, physical, psychological, etc.) rather than dispensing prescription meds to treat a symptom, as is customary in standard allopathic medicine. Moderon medicine seems to dispense something to reduce a symptom, rather than figure out what's causing the entire thing and support the body in healing itself. Supporting the body in healing itself appears to be what's at work here with AnnMarie's success with the dogs on this diet. I'm all for it.

I have fed Dynamite Super Premium for dogs for several years, saw an improvement in Nani's health on that food, and been comfortable that I'm giving the highest possible quality of dog food. Deva arrived as a raw foods girl, so I'm working on it, but she doesn't think much of my cooking so far, but has been accepting the Dynamite food lately. Really odd when a dog walks away from raw chicken! I'm going to try the diet described in this thread.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks DEB for saying what i was trying to say but would end up writing a novel first hhahhaa before getting my point across

For Max...we tried 2 different kinds of INNOVA but bad SBD's --not good
one gave diarrhea...then tried Nutro sensitive tummy then the puppy food
Also tried Blue Beard....even Purina sensitive tummy

Sooooo when the best foods didn't work, antibiotics didn't work...he had no worms and then went downhill health wise, lost weight too.
I had to do something!!! long term intestinal tract problems can cause future problems if not cured.

So what works for me may not be the cure all for others. BUT a starting point for others.

I researched my allergies again....then my kids....then foods and supplements as to what they really do for a body and why!
Max has shocked my family, me and my vet with his improvement!

Max's skin was dry,flaking...his coat was dull,brittle, felt like a wire terrier instead of how soft it used to be....he shed allof sudden, his hair thinned out, his lower eyes were angry red, had diarrhea for 7 weeks, lost weigh and not putting any on in 1 month! Also he didn't do doodle runs, and seemed more like a hounddog eagerly laying down and napping more than ususal.

Afeter a week....eyes are pink...coat is soft and shiny ...there is one patch on his back still growing back in and a tad dry still...
MAJOR change--he had firm poops within 12hours and now we're on 8 days of firm solid poop :shock:
Peanut too went from severe diarhhea and bleeding to firm poops and no blood in 12hours on this diet with supplements!

Weight gain i am sure will follow soon...but getting healthy is priority!
I was soooo worried about Max the past 7 weeks...i watched a healthy dog deteriorate and felt helpless and kept doing bland diet and antibiotics along with 2 hardcore worming meds. He was worm free but still didn't get healthy and wasn't my Max i know.

Many allergies are caused by the body not getting or not absorbing and digesting certain nutrients in many cases. Also, i knew about papaya, bland diets and omega (fish ) for humans aided a body when under stress from illness/disease/virus etc.
Dogs can digest raw foods ....we can't....We recover quicker than dogs with digestive/intestinal upsets.

ohhhhhhh did short story again...sorry

Summary: sweet potatoe and supplements can put the "WILD" back in a dogs diet especially the super blue green algae.

Max and Peanut can't wait to eat now hahhahaa it's sooooo funny and cute.Max while eating eagerly, looks up at us WOOFS and goes back to eating. sometimes woofing a few more times with his head down in his bowl hahahhahaa

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wonderful, WONDERFUL forum thread and great advice from everyone...thank you!
I plan to print this off and start my dogs on the diet. They are very limited in what they will eat so this will be a nice, healthy way to get them feeling in top form. It should really be good for Lexie, the nursing mother.
I really appreciate the time Ann Marie takes to give us this info and share her insights. I know that she has been soooooo busy, with dogs, family, house/yard care and job...so her help is doubly valuable to me.
Thanks!
I'll keep reading for additional info!
Oh...one question...fish is very expensive here (in Utah, my family were fishermen so it would have been easier, but here, fish is usually from the ocean and costs plenty...) what fish, exactly do you feed and how do you prepare it? How much do the dogs get of that? Or do you just give fish oil to supplement the dog food?
What about canned fish added to food? It can be pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jac...i am not feeding fish since they're getting OMEGA 3 capsules and SuperGreenBlue Algae both daily...am researching which fish is good though and dad is going to discuss with me as well.

all fish is not the same for dogs some are good...some arent' for dogs.

And it's expensive but i want to add it just every so often unless the dog foood has it already.

thanks Jac...funny i had debated on sharing what i learned and doing with my doodes. I was scared some would think i was a overzealous nut. But i have always been analytical and use common sense appraoches to almost all problems that arise especially with health issues.

I figured out my life threatening allergy when doctor's failed. Found the cuase of a severe rash my son had for 6 weeks when doctors and meds failed. I also had my kids digestive systems off whack for 6 weeks at a time each year that got rotovirus and one was on iv's in hospital for 5 days!
Long story shorter ....kids, dogs , me ...doesn't matter sometimes we need to evaluate waht aids bodies in what way in order to heal and function properly to get back to health and later supplement occaisionally thereafter to boost our immune and digestive systems. Digestion is the key to health and how skin, hair, nail, intestinal, and allergies can get aggravated if our body for whatever reason is depleted at times. DOGS get same problems as people...so to me there is very little difference in aiding health then.

OH me, my dad , now Dave and a few others are taking SuperBlueGreenAlgae ourselves hahahhaahaa human guinea pigs here folks!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts