Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time they are on her legs, not her face or neck, thank goodness. It looks like she scratched herself but she didn't - she said her skin has hurt there since before she left her friends house earlier today, but only just now noticed the welts. Either that or they JUST appeared. Some of the other welts look like I took a belt to her!

WTH - I can't pinpoint why she's having these reactions and its making me nuts. At least this one isn't on her face!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KRISTEN please watch those hives closely....that's how i get hives.

If you have Aveeno bath stuff that will help IF NOT a tepid bath and make a paste with baking soda is good. Lastly going in a pool gives RELIEF!!!

i once was covered head to toe like that and can't take antihistimines so the pool was my relief.

KRISTEN i just realized i sound like the overprotective grandmother, sorry

awww what the hell, did you give her Benedryl? call the doctor? make an appt with an allergist?

OK so i worry about little Annie :wink: and want her to get all better and for you to be able NOT to worry anymore

Lastly, did she eat a food at her friends that was different? play in the woods? or anyone have cats? etc Process of elimination is the key which drives you NUTS trying to figure it out. Did you switch laundery detergents?

keep me posted please.....thank you and i'll say a prayer to st anthony you find out what is causing her allergic reaction soon!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL Annmarie...

Yes - I gave her benedryl as soon as she showed it to me. I actually watched the rash climb her thigh until the benedryl kicked in about 15 minutes later, and the progression stopped but the rash hasn't gone away.

She has an appointment with an allergist for next month. I'm really not looking forward to it however I AM looking forward to getting answers. I have an epi pen on hand in case she has a reaction like last time - however based on the location I don't expect it to get out of hand... A rash on her leg doesn't scare me nearly as bad as a swollen face & tongue!

G

·
awww Kristen, I feel terrible for Annie. I had hives like that twice. It was a reaction to some stress in my life when I was only 17. Just thought I would toss that out there in case there might be an emotional component involved. I sure hope you find the allergen. My son also got terrible hives from Tide detergent, so it does not necessarily have to be a food allergy. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'm so glad you have an appt with the allergist, sounds like she really needs to be tested.

Allergies can be very frustrating, but you can live with them, I have over 40 food allergies and am allergic to just about everything outside - I carry double epi pen whereever I go.

It's scary, but he worse part is not knowing what she is allergic too - sending healing prayers

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yowie...that looks itchy!

I hope that an allergist can help...I'd certainly try that first. Maybe they can pinpoint the source.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ugh how awful for her...

I hope she feels better quickly, poor thing. It can be so nerve wracking not knowing what's causing it and when/where it's going to show up again.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
kristen...hahhaa sorry i went overboard , but i have a life threatening allergy that looked like Annie the 1st time and the 2nd time i was raced to a hospital with only 10min to live. Luckily 3 days later I figured out what was causing it.

an Epi Pen is an ounce of prevention...also what i learned with having 3 life threatening reactions in one weekend back in 1991....a cold shower can slow down a severe reaction and allow the bronchial tubes to stay open a bit. :D ever see how lethargic bees get when it's cold? same effect on hives/allergic reaction.

I sure hope they figure out what is causing Annie's hives as i feel for both of you! hugs to you both ((((((((kristen and Annie)))))))))))

quick question: is Sandy sticking to Annie like glue now?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

I have two kiddos with severe allergies. A few things you may or may not know:

A lot of reactions can be biphasic - meaning even with using the epi-pen you might need another epi-pen within 20 minutes of administering the first so get help quick! (Not sure if EMT's in your state carry and are allowed to administer an epi-pens - something to look into)

When she does finally get to the allergist I have found they can minimize the trauma - use numbing cream before drawing blood and this neat stick thing that allows them to do 5+ scratch tests at once - 5 pokes at the same time rather than 5 individual pokes.

Hives can come and go for days or even weeks - it takes an allergen several weeks to clear your system and getting hot will make them pop out or get worse.

They can't do any allergy testing if you have had any antihistamine within 3 days of testing.

I'm not sure when school is starting for you but you will want another Epi-pen to leave at the school.

I hope you are able to narrow down what is causing her reaction - PM me if you want - I know this is hard to go through.

Heather

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Miss Annie...

FoodLady told me you have the itchies again. I hate the itchies, I have to sit down and take my back leg and shake it up and down.

Do you do that? Is your FoodLady taking you to the Vet? I know my friend, Sandy is watching out for you all the time so you are in very good paws.

I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and they are extra special thoughts and if I were there I would give you a kiss.

Woofs and Licks,

Your Friend Ebbe

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristen...how is little Annie doing? any better?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Hope Kristen gets over this fast, and that you find the cause! The waiting is the worst part...too bad you can't move up her appointment with the allergist so that you don't have to worry so much, which can be draining!
Keep us posted! Many hugs to you both:D :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristen....we haven't heard from you in a while and Wondering, how is ANNIE and Sandy doing? and hope you are doing good as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts