Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 15 month old doodle was diagnosed with hip dysplasia a couple of weeks ago. The vet did an x-ray to show it. It seems to have gone from 0-60 as he was just limping for a while but now it seems once he has laid down, he gets up and will not put weight on his leg for a few minutes and then tries to walk or he will take a couple of steps and lay back down. I have him on 1500 mg of glucosomine and 1 ecotrin a day. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I am taking him back to the vet today for further evaluation. I really do not want to put him on steriods and I think he is a little young to go right to the hip replacement as it is my understanding that the hips don't set until they are 2.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I am so sorry, I have no words of advice as I have not been through what you are going through in a puppy of that age however our great dane's hips started going at age 11 and we did introduce the Gluclosomine (sp?) at that time. I would think with a dog your age perhaps a 2nd vet opinion in addition to the sharing here might be a good thing. I also hope that you have a guarantee from the breeder and they are there to help at this time. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your puppy.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry. Please contact your breeder and hopefully you have a good guarantee and can redeem the money you paid for your dog to help towards the medical bills. Not only do you need to redeem the money but your breeder needs to know so they will hopefully stop breeding his parents and passing on this debilitating disease.

Good luck to you :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kim I am so sorry to hear that. It is so tough to watch them suffer with anything that makes them hurt. You guys are in our prayers and we will be thinking of you both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our breeder passed away a few months ago and her son took over the business (for about 6 months to a year) and then will close the business (at least that is what he told us). We did not find him very reliable and do not feel we can get our money back from our 2 year guarantee.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
So sorry to hear about your dogs HD I hope you can keep him from being in pain. Hopefully the breeder's son will come through for you and your beloved dog.

Everyone out there Please if you do nothing else get a good health guarantee on your puppies. Even tested adults sometimes can have a pup with a problem.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, no! I am so sorry!

I am even more sorry that the breeder is not supportive. At the very least, the breeder should refund all of the money you paid for the dog in order to help offset some of the expenses.

Sometimes states have laws that can be enforced to make a breeder responsible.

I would, again, contact the breeder and explain that even though the son "inherited" the dogs, he has earned money from this sale and should stand behind the health of the dog...or refund the money! You might ask him to read this forum so that he might realize that he DOES have an obligation to help you.

You could contact the state to see what your rights are. Here, in California, we have a puppy lemon law and the state would enforce action against this breeder.

I hope that you can get help, at the very least get the purchase money back. This breeder (the son) should be more interested in finding good homes for these dogs rather than making money from the sales...and you are a good and caring owner...the breeder should do what he can to help you through this.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi, and please accept my sympathy for your dog! I'm so sorry for this trouble... and I would echo Jacque's ideas and suggestion to contact your breeder (her son) again, because I happen to know he IS going to try to stay in business with some amount of breeding. And I am somehow hoping that his initial response was based in his grieving and being overwhelmed at what lay ahead of him. I know that this breeder is trying to place many of his mom's dogs in rescues. I guess that's a good thing, since your dog's parents might be in that bunch of dogs that are being spayed/neutered.

I have a couple other ideas, so if re-contacting doesn't work would you please email me?

BEST WISHES!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guarantee states they would provide a new puppy. I do not want another puppy as we already purchased a new pup just a few weeks ago from a different breeder. So writing a letter is not going to do me much good except to tell him that he should be careful or eliminate breeding the parents.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kim, I will tell you that when Buddy died from bone cancer. I went a little crazy and did every bit of research to find the breeder. We got Buddy from a pet store so I had to really work for that information. I did locate the breeder and found out it was a puppy mill breeder.

Long story short they are in this as a business not for the love of the breed so they really did not care.

I have learned from this Forum there are breeders that really care about the well being of the breed and the people who share that same love and want to give a great home to their pups. Then there are some that do not and unfortunately the puppy and the owners hurt and suffer. It is unfair but the world we live in.

I respect those breeders so much that really care and take the time to know about the history of their breeding dogs to make sure there may not be any detected genetic problems.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Kim, I have sent you a personal message regarding this post. I think I have an issue with the same breeder and the person who has taken over her business. Please read the message and get back with me. Thanks annieG

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
man, this is really a bummer. I have to say, I've battled this whole issue of how to word it in a contract about what I would do if (God forbid it!) one of our puppies had HD. There are posts where I've asked other breeders, if you do a search, where I've asked others about the replacement of a puppy vs. a refund. I think it depends on whether you have enough litters year-round or not, whether it would matter to a breeder.

Either way about it, I'm really sorry Kim. There's nothing worse than watching one of our babies - on 2 legs or 4- suffering with something and we feel so helpless. :cry:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kim I am soo sorry to hear your unfortunate news. hang in there and will keep you and your doodle baby in my prayers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts