Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot about hip displaysia, and how important hip testing is to be sure that the dog you are getting has the best chance of not getting it if the parents are tested & have good results. However I've also heard that besides the genetic component, there is also an environmental component that can contribute to hip displaysia - and that owners need to be very careful during the first 2 years of the puppy's life to be sure that it does not partake in activities that could injure the hips while it is still growing.

I'd like your feedback on how much you feel that hip displaysia can be minimized or prevented in otherwise healthy puppies, whose parents have good test results, by making sure the puppy doesn't do too much running, jumping, other strenuous activities while they are still growing, and for how long an owner must be so careful. Also, is it true that even if both parents have been tested & have good hips, that their puppy may not end up with good hips also?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Amyg.......genetics is predictable to a point as there is always the 'roulette" chance just like 2 brown eyed parents can have a blue eyed child

Testing tries to ensure the breeding stock/dogs are of good to excellent health and of great temperament

NOW when puppies are young they can run and play with each other as that is a more natural.

strenuous exercise, jumping, jogging etc in the 1st year can put damage on hips, ligaments, tendons and bones thereby causing health problems later on
an overweight dog in the 1st year can also aid in health problems if not put on a diet

SO using common sense, reading up on puppies, even doing SEARCHES on this forum is a 1st step to aiding your puppy towards proper and healthy growth.

Hip diplaysia can happen to any dog but we dog owners can contribute to it if not taking care of a puppy in 1st year especially

Put it this way: a 1 to 2 even 3 year old child usually doesn't jog 3mi a day nor do gymanstics or ballet for 4 to 6hours either. they body is developing. NOW two parents in excellent health, well a child can still inherit a particular problem or if not raised right like wearing shoes too small that child can develop foot problems

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good vet

Thanks for all your great advice. I do have a vet I took my old dog to, who I recently lost, for over 16 years and have a very good comfort level with her treatment and advice.

I've read a lot about how important a low protein diet is, but what percentage is considered low protein? Also, some people say to start feeding them regular dog food at around 7-8 mos, which confuses me, since shouldn't they still be getting puppy food if they are still a puppy? Also, the dog I'm getting is going to be medium size, about 40 - 55 lbs. - so does it still need a large-breed food, if it may not really be considered large?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Oh AnneMarie, thank you so much for making that point about the food,
food and Suppliments are so important,,i used Nuvet vitamins , https://www.nuvetlabs.com/order/default ... 0%20%20%20

I have to say, Dylan My Chocolate Standard 2007 got a EXCELLENT rating from OFA , but I raised Dylan with LIMITED Excersise, no jumping, no stress on the bones and joints while he was maturing, he was given NUVET vitamins, and TOP quality food,

I had a golden that passed testing 2 yrs in a row, (under 2) i finally got around to ofaing him and he didnt pass on his rite hip,,why,,because he was jumping up on the feeder, dog house looking over the top of a 6ft kennel, he was always jumping, putting stress on those bones and joints while he was maturing, was that genetic,,i think not, since i had great vet readings for 2yrs, we would have seen a problem
NOT to mention i had sent in 2 xray to ofa, which came back fair, well i KNEW it was better i saw them myself, soo i sent back in another name (dog and mine) and it came back a excellent, another i did the same it came back a good, after several hundred dollars and total frustration i have come to the conclusion that its all in how the radiologist mood on any given day,, in fact for 2yrs my vet read my xrays , then i started redoing and sending in, recently i got the excellent on Dylan, surprised the heck outta me, you all probably heard me screaming where YOU are,,LOL needless to say Dylans OFA certification is framed,,i probably wont see another one as long as i have to lie,,LOL

xrays are only as good as the vet giving them and the radiologist reading them, proper nutrition protection of bones and joints as the dog matures is the only way to have a chance of having a great hips as a adult,
until there is a genetic test that determines hips ,,breeders are just that ,,not god, we all do the best we can ,with what we have to work with,,

Did you know that alot of breeders get hips read early,well when they dont pass a breeder will spay them,
then after the dog matures more say at 2yrs old they will pass certification,,this also can go the other way,

Ok i have rambled on long enough,,
i tried so hard to NOT get into this convo cause these types of topics often get out of hand
but things really need to be said , hope this is helpful to someone and can learn from my 30yrs in the dog industry,,:)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I appreciate your input nancy

i am going to post some links that discusses JUST that

OFA and Penn hip and YES it is sooooooo dependent on the WAY they take the xray and then read them......they can get 3 different ratings from 3 different radiologists

I myself wish they could run blood work/DNA test etc
to see if a dog is a carrier, affected , or clear with LOW possibility of passing a recessive gene into offspring

there is a DLS xray in progress now for this????? but i can't get to the info

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
amy

http://www.offa.org/diseaseinfo.html (OFA)
and
http://www.thepetcenter.com/xra/ph.html (penn hip)

no one can say 100% a dog will NOT get HD

even excellent results on both parents doesn't guarantee
100% no HD.......but it does Ensure breeders are trying their
best to say they're using BEST possible parents to minimize and hopefully eliminate HD

OFA does prelim testing before 2yrs of age
penn hip done as early as 4mos

a dog though may show up one result now and different in 2yrs from now

so Ask yourself, what are you really looking for????
ME? i go for TEMPERAMENT always then health
as if the dog doesn't have teh temperament i want, then what good
is really good health and testing?

and your vet will tell if you dog food at 22% is high or moderate and so on
each dog is different in size, digestion, structure and so on

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
nancy i have friends that breed
and an uncle that bred collies his whole life

also having pedigrees in past i tried to keep up with it
we have had friends that breed dogs other than doodles too.

In the past I figured that since i am NOT a breeder i had to keep my yap shut and just read/listen to you and others talking about certain subjects. and not let on about anything.
and just stuck to jokes and general info.

anyway, i love READING in-depth alot and a bit of a GEEK
( doesn't my computer degree automatically make me one? hahhaa)
anyway, genetics, quantum physics, analysis and solving puzzles are what i love to do and/or read and chart during my spare time to relax. hahaha
shhhhhhhhhhhh tho :wink:
Lastly, and also have a few late night blonde moments as it gives y'all some good laughs

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Well Personally I dont want you to keep you YAP shut,,LOL
I know i have learned tons from you, and we all need to share as much as we think we know, that way we can all digest it and possibly learn from info others have, i know i have changed my mind on things i have learned from others in the past, no all breeders, common sense is Much more useful then book learnin in my opinion :O)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thanks,,Im Pretty sold on Aussiedoodles!!
dont know if you know but i used to raise and train them for herding and obediance, as well as visits to old folks homes, many years ago,, they are realy one of my all time favorite breeds, very devoted, smart loyal easy to train,
in fact i downsized my labradoodle lines in order to breed aussiedoodles, coats are very soft like bunny hair, so far low to no shed, and the colors are like rainbows, I have litters due within the next week,
Im love them, and am very exicited to have aussies back in my life, and have great plans for the aussiedoodles,,,Im a happy camper :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I would the aussie doodle combination would produce a very intellingent and loving dog
and the coat colors will be awesome due to aussie's genetic makup
and are they lowshedding too?

here in rochester, almost all places now require Good Citizen training for a dog to be in a old folks home or children's center and the cancer center for kids

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
yes back then we had to have good citizens also
I had a aussie male that was just so awsome with the older folks, he would just go and lay his head on their lap and you just thought wow, this dog knows somthing, he had so much love to give, calm sweet, too smart for words, i miss him
yes the aussiedoodles are very low to no shed ,,i would venture to say less then f1 goldendoodles, the coats are much softer, my vet has seen 2 litters so far for vet checks and she just rants and raves bout the feel of the coats and the sweetness of the pups, I know im tickled

Steve let me keep Sydney,btw, she is 7lbs at 16weeks old, her coat is like bunny hair, just beautiful i need a updated pic ,,her and angel my corgi are bestest friends ,,well most of the time,,LOL
we will be breeding syd to chili dawg my red moyen 20lbs poodle, late this year
figured if i was gonna do f1b aussiedoodles it would be the smallest i can do,,LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shedding

Which shed more, F1 labradoodles or F1 Goldendoodles. We are getting a Labradoodle, & I really think the F1's are the cutest, but I know that the shedding with them can be unpredictable, and while we have no allergy problems in our family, I prefer a light to non-shedding dog after having a shedder for 16 yrs. Also, I don't want to end up with an 80 lb dog - so we are going to go w/an F1b medium, to help w/the shedding and so we can get a dog that's more in the 40-55 lb range. Do any of the F1's ever come out smaller than 60 lbs or so?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
amy i have both

Max...black f1LD sheds minimally and now for almost 3 weeks he's barely shedding at all he's 18mos ,sruffy look with a few loose waves/curls
easy to wash, dries in 20min or so, no grooming, and doesn't affect our severe allergies or ashthma...max has a "hair" coat. soft yet coarse textured Max 83lbs 26in tall

peanut is cream/apricot f1 GD wavy shaggy Nonshedding fleece coat ....blew puppy coat like no tomorrow for 2mos and back to nonshedding. brush several times a week. Takes HOURS to dry unless clipped down to 1 1/4in....She is 22in tall and 55lb at 13mos

Beau f/red, 1 GD doesn't shed, fleece coat that is silky and resembles a golden retriever type of coat,
at 6mos old 44lb and 21in tall...nonshedding, easy to wash, dries in 45min to 1hour

should top out at 24in tall and 64lbs?

So my f1's...one is 55lb and 22in tall means to your knees
a goldendoodle if has true fleece coat with usually be nonshedding to extremely low shedding and females tend to be smaller than males

good luck and let us know which you chooose
f1b's tend NOT to shed....whereas many Gd's are ALMOST like having a f1b LD due to coat and nonshedding qualities

NOTE: what we consider to be shedding Most other dog owners would laugh at!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts