Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather has been really blustery and cold here and not fun to be outside. I read somewhere that a fun game for dogs is to hide some of their treats around the house and let them play a game of hide and seek with their nose. So, this morning I hid a few bisquits in spots around the living room and forgot about it. Puddles just now has started to figure it out and is having so much fun sniffing and hunting and finding little tasties all over the room. It's keeping him busy for at least 5 minutes :D Next time I'll have to make it a little tougher. :D :D :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
:) that's so cute. I tried that game for our doodles...Dexter is a bit slow at it and Kirby would find all the treats...haha...I was having to let Dexter go first so he would get some...it reminded me of Easter egg hunts where one child is so much older than the other :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've thought about doing this with my three... but my fear is that by hiding food, it would teach them to eat whatever they find on the floor. I have taught (and am working on it with Maggie) that they aren't allowed to eat *anything* until I give the ok. Plus I don't want them hunting for food at other people's homes!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I only do the hide and seek Treat when crumbs are on the floor and i say OKAY .....Peanut is better than most vacuums :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I can play this game with Denver by telling him to
clean it up, This is the phrase that allows him to eat from the floor.
Since my cats like to throw all kinds of food stuff etc. off the counters
I had to train Denver to never touch anything unless we are home
to give him the command to go ahead...............so for all the trouble the cats like to get him into, they have failed hahahhhaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
146 Posts
We hide Henry's kong around the house and get him to find it. You could stuff some treats in it so he'd sniff them out but at least they'd be in the kong and not loose on the floor. Henry loves searching for his kong. I used to do it with his teddy bear before he got in the habit of destuffing everything in five minutes. :oops:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I've thought about doing this with my three... but my fear is that by hiding food, it would teach them to eat whatever they find on the floor. I have taught (and am working on it with Maggie) that they aren't allowed to eat *anything* until I give the ok. Plus I don't want them hunting for food at other people's homes!
haha...my husband said the same things :) He said I should stop trying this game.

P.S. Kristin - your avitar is adorable...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't use treats, but Nicky and I have played the "find it" game for months and he loves playing it. I started by hiding a favorite soft ball after we'd been playing catch with it inside the house. Now he knows the word "find" and will search for things he knows the names of when I tell him to, inside the house or in the back yard.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Great idea for a game to keep Raleigh busy...I'll have to try it!! Thanks! :wink:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Each morning I do a hide-and-seek game with Jofi. I make her sit and wait while I hide a hand-full of cookies in her toy box, among her toys - she then has great fun digging and searching through the box to retrieve the goodies.

I like the idea of the find-it game - I'll have to try this with Jofi.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I think this sounds awesome fun for all ........going to try playing hide and seek with their toys and a treat at the end :D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I used to hide a few treats around the family room to distract Tanner when I would leave for work in the morning. When he got older though, he would wait until I returned from work to eat them.

He does love to have me hide a toy and then go and find it...great fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts