Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hickory will now come to me out in the open and allow me to pet her for a bit before running off again. She also came over to a stranger yesterday and licked her hand, then did the same with Josh and Greg. She was SO proud of herself after that she just strutted with her head and tail held high.

The most shocking thing she has done was tonight when Canada (Ruler supreme of the pack) tried to chase her out of the food... Hickory actually stood her ground and they got into a bit of a fight and Hickory never did back down! I was just shocked. OMG did she look vicious with her lips curled back, and growling... that's a side of her I hadn't seen before. I seriously wanted to go give her a pat on the back for standing up for herself at last. Up till today she's just let herself be pushed around by all the other dogs. It was hard to stand back and let them work it out, but in the end they hadn't hurt each other and neither of them went right back to the food; so there was no clear victor.

Greg and I both had to laugh at Bella and Chips reaction to the stand-off... they both circled the other 2 barking excitedly and seemed to be saying "No, don't challenge Canada, she'll kick your butt!" When it was over, Bella ran to check on Canada and Chip checked out Hickory... I think they figured there was going to be blood drawn. ;)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all!
I'm so excited by her progress. I had a couple here yesterday looking at the pups and meeting the moms. They want to buy a pup, but are in no hurry and are very selective in the dog they want. They were so impressed with Hickory and how nicely she's filling out that they've opted to wait for her to have a litter. They wanted to give me a deposit already so they'd be sure to have first pick, but I declined. I don't know how long it might be until she trusts me enough to handle her pups and I seriously don't want a litter out of her until she does.

The way she looks now, I'm not sure Canada could have beat her. She's muscling out beautifully!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh great story Tink
Sometimes the best way to handle animals
is to let them handle themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although I've tried to teach them not to, both Chip and Bella usually jump up on me when I enter their run. It's just how they greet me in their excitement.
Today I got a shock!
When Chip and Bella came to greet me, Hickory was between them and when they jumped up on me, so did she! I don't know who was more surprised, her or me! She didn't linger, just a quick lick and she was back down, but I loved it.

I never expected she'd do that this soon. Seems she's just decided she's done missing out on all the fun! It does my heart good to see her improving. I'm enjoying her as much as I do the puppies! LOL

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Tink that is a great story. I am so glad Hickory is doing so well.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It is so heartwarming to hear of Hickory's progress! Great job Tink! Yes, I'd like to see another picture of Hickory too when you get a chance. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts