Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning everyone!
I have been "lurking" on this board for the past two months....every since I bought my first doodle! I admit to not knowing anything at all about this breed until I purchased Bailey...after reading this board I feel as though I am an expert now! :D
I have learned so much from you all!! Bailey is our second addition - we have an almost 4 year old Shih- Poo named Sophie. I am a huge fan of the poodle mixes due to my daughters severe allergies. I had Labs all of my life and when I came accross an add for Labradoodles in my area, my curiousity got the best of me!!! The "breeder" (if you want to call her that) was selling them for 150.00 - at the time I did not know that this was an unusually low price. When I went to pick Bailey up, I quickly realized it was more of a rescue type situation. He was infested with fleas so badly that he had a secondary skin infection, two types of internal parasites, Giardia, and eye infecton, ear mites and was at least 20 pounds underweight. Long story short - my vet & I contacted animal control and ALL of her pets were removed and two months later my Bailey is the picture of health!! He is truly a joy and my family adores him.

I do have one question, if you don't mind.....Bailey is an F1 but I am having a hard time determining what type of coat he has....wooly or fleece? It is semi curly - but not tight curls. Very soft and does not seem to need much care. I brush him about once a week.

Wow - I just realized how long winded this post is!! :oops:

Thanks for reading and I look forward to chatting with you all soon!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum DaDoodle! Wow, Bailey is so lucky you came in to his life to rescue him. He's a cutie. Can't wait for more pictures! :D:D:D

I had the same question about coats and am still working it out. Annmarie was very helpful with pictures. Forwarding that message doesn't seem to be an option. My Cali seems to have a mixed coat depending on which part of your body you're looking at. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there!!
I can't wait to show you more pics of my boy...unfortunately I cannot do that from work!

I have been admiring everyone's doods for so long...your's included! 8)

Bailey had a very bizarre coat when I got him....not sure if it was his health or not. He sort of looked like he was wearing a kilt.....the back of him was about 2 inches longer and poofy...the front of him was curly :shock:
So, I had him groomed to even him out a bit and now it all seems to be coming in soft and curly and is finally starting to get a healthy sheen to it.

Seriously, I have become obsessed with these dogs and could talk about them all day! :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WELCOME DADOODLE.....and so glad you joined this forum

Also really happy that you and your vet managed to get those puppies the care they needed and away from that "woman".

i am not an expert on coats and used to joke around about coats
but here is a really SIMPLE thing or two to note, whereas others here can give more complete descriptions:

hair coat: ( my max)
, usually looks more labby, is straight to semi wavy with possible dash of curl but is coarser textured and may shed a bit

Fleece (my peanut)
is usually soft, wavy to semi curly, doesn't shed much, may or may not shed. easy to brush, takes longer than a hair coat to dry.
this is BEFORE grooming

Wool coat---ever see a poodle??? these usually are the f1B doodles but not always, but are quite curly, may matt, and doesn't shed at all.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome!!! This is such a great, friendly place :p
Based on the pics, I believe my Bailey has a wooly coat, but I guess I still don't know for sure! Oh well....I love his guts anyway! :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Welcome! Your Bailey is adorable! And...very, very lucky that you found him when you did...you may have, literally, saved the lives of every one in that litter! You should feel very pleased about that.
It is hard to say about his coat at this point. F1 puppies change so much wthin the first year. You could get a nice fleece, but in general, the F1 produces more of a coarse, slightly to moderate shedding coat. Sometimes there is a mixture of coat types in one dog!
The F1 is my favorite. They are healty, fun, funny, loving and very sweet. They have a "Disney" look and are very easy to groom....just a little brushing and a bath now and again and they can be the best ever!
Enjoy...and, again, welcome!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The F1 is my favorite also although I also like the fleece coat. This is my dakota--a very typical F1 hair coat, slightly wirey (less wirey than it was when he was 8-12 months), and very easy to maintain. I give him a thorough comb-out every morning and he has never had a matt.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland
Your baby is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!
Denver is also an F1 with a wire/smooth coat
He does not shed and his coat is really too short to
worry about but we always brushed him to get him used
to being handled.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Welcome to you and Bailey. You did a wonderful thing for the others. I hope they found great owners like you. :) :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! You guys are great! I already feel at home here :D

These dogs are amazing to me! Bailey is so smart and SO extremely funny! He has his own little personality and is just a big bundle of love!
Baby number 1 (my Shih - poo) Sophie has taken to him so well and they are truly best buds! She has more of a poodle personality than a shihtzu....kind of standoffish and on the "bitchy" side, LOL
I was worried when we got Bailey that she would change (which she did for about two weeks) but now we have the Doodle 500 constantly!
She is definately the boss, though.

I love looking at everyone's pictures of their babies and look forward to seeing many more!
I have a lot of free time at my job so you will be seeing a lot of me :wink:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Gene!
I enjoy "reading" you and crack up at your Doodle stories!
Both of your babies are darling! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I understand....I often hear from my husband and kids that I love my dogs more than I love them!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome DaDoodle & Bailey!! Your enthusiam shows, and your rescue of Bailey is a great story.

Marley is an F1B, and has worked out great as far as the allergies go too. His coat covers the entire gambit at this point. Super soft straight at the top of his head, a wavy coarser stripe done his back, including his tail to a softer coarse curly area around his neck. He is just five months this week, so there is no telling what he will look like at this point. He changes week to week. I can't wait to see what the final version is gonna be. Not that it matters...we are so darn crazy about him, it matters none to us.

As he approaches his 5th month we estimate his weight to about 36 to 38 lbs. He is a growing machine, and where it stops nobody knows!! We have a vet appointment next week for scheduling his neutering procedure. Will get a more weight then.
Welcome DaDoodle..Marley says HI!!

[/img]

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi and Welcome, can't wait to see more pictures of Bailey, looks adorable
I'm so glad that you called the authorities and they removed all the puppies!

I have an F1B doodle, Annabelle, she has a mixed coat. No tight curls but she has soft curls on her neck and then her chest and legs are really fluffy type hair, her tail has courser hair as does the center of her back hair, the longer her hair get the courser it feels. We keep Annabelle pretty short, easier to groom. I brush her every day or every other day - they will get matted close to the skin, so make sure you are using a brush or comb that gets all the way down.

POst more pics when you can

Here is Annabelle

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Marley & Annabelle you doods are adorable! As are the rest of the beauties on the board!! Even though I was lurking I melted at all of the pictures!!
Bailey would love you all....he is quite the ladies man :wink: but would love all the doodle dudes, too!

Nice to hear that the coat variances are normal! After we got him and saw his condition I was not really sure what to expect as I lost faith in everything the "breeder" told me.....this forum helped me so much!!!

Bailey will be six months on Sunday and so far there is no shedding. After reading this board, I know that he may end up a shedder later on down the road.
I have had dogs my whole life but just feel this bond with him...maybe because of the rough start he got to life, or maybe it is just because he is so dang precious! It has been a lot of time, work and money but all so worth it!

That is one of the reasons I enjoy this board so much...you all love your pets so much and always have their best interest at heart!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts