Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new here but have been browsing this forum for some time learning about Labradoodles. This forum has been a huge help in researching the breed. My husband and I have been thinking about getting another dog for about a month now and we went from wanting to get a Lab, Golden , Standard Poodle and finally decided to get Labradoodle. Just about a month ago we had to put down my 13 year old Lab that I owned since he was 6 weeks old. I adopted him from a shelter 13 years ago and he has been with me through all ups and downs in my life. He was the best dog I have ever owned and loosing him was really hard. We also have an 8 year old Doberman mix named Hope who is now all alone and acting like she is still grieving. At first I didn’t want to get a dog but now my husband convinced me and we both feel that it would be good idea to get a dog for Hope to play with.

I have been calling and emailing bunch of Labraddodle breeders and we finally decided to go with a lady from WI who seem very honest about her dogs and she is willing to meet us more than ½ way. She has 3 black Labradoodle boys and we are meeting her this Sunday morning. I am so excited I cannot wait. I am trying to figure out a way to meet her Saturday but unfortunately I have to work and it may not be possible. So before we go get our doggie I would like to find out from you guys what I should be asking the breeder. I already seen the pictures of the puppies and she will be emailing me parents pictures later today. The breeder owns the mother and a father and this is her first litter of Labradoodles. She normally breeds Labs but due to her friends and family request she bred her Standard Poodle to a Lab and got the F1’s puppies. Both parents are registered and in good health. She is giving us 1 year guarantee, the puppies have their health certificate, shots and de-wormed. I spoke to the breeder over the phone and through emails for the past week and she seems very honest about everything and answers all of my questions without hesitation. I would like to know what I should look for in the puppies and what I should be getting. This is a first time I am getting a dog from a breeder so I am really new to this and hoping someone can help me.

Thank you in advance and looking forward to sharing my experiences with our new Labradoodle puppy. :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Can't wait to see pictures. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from a lot of very qualified people on this forum. There are NO stupid questions here! Ask away!! :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome welcome
Glad to have you on board :wink:
I would be asking the breeder all about what testing she has done
on her adults, and why only the one year guarantee? Others here on the forum will give you more questions. Happy for you and your family.
It is so exciting!!!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi, welcome and congrats! I was going to say the same as Sue, ask about the health testing she has done on the parents and most breeders will give a 2 year guarantee at the minimum.

ASk what vaccinations the pups have had and also dewormings, if they've been seen by a vet, what kind of food are they eating. Things like that. Good luck and let us know :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm getting mine from WI as well!! Are you going through Wilson Creek? That's where I looked first, but found a woman a little closer to us, but I thought I 'd ask! Since there probably aren't too many out there! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your welcome and responses. I could not wait until Sunday we went and picked up our puppy last night. The lady drove 2 1/2 hours and we drove 1 hour to meet. She brought all the puppies that she had available and let us pick one. She was just a very nice person and easy to deal with. She answered all my questions and was pleasant to deal with. I spoke to bunch of different breeders and this lady just seems honest and I got a very good feeling about her and her dogs. She gave us a copy of registry for both parents and pictures of the parents. She invited us to visit but it was just too far for us and we have decided to meet her instead. We are now the proud owners of Labradoodle. He is the cutes thing I have ever seen. I will post pictures tomorrow for everyone to see. He is all black and has a very nice coat. The puppy is 7 weeks old and he is so much fun. We only had him not even two days and he already learned how to walk on the leash and pees outside when we take him for a little puppy walk. He is just a joy. I already love that little munchkin. :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Congratulations, your excitement shines thru your post. We are all anxious to see pics :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
CONGRATS on your new baby !!!! have any names picked out yet? and will await pictures :D

and keep up with the worming and shot schedules as i am sure your breeder gave you all that info of what's been done to-date. :)

wow a 7 week old puppy..there so much like little babies as we got Peanut at 9wks old...and what a difference now that she's almost 4mos(16 wks)

Doodles are such loving little bundle of happiness.....i wish you all the best and congrats again!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys!!!! I am working on uploading pictures right now will post them as soon as it's done. My husband named the puppy Spooky he thinks because when he grows up he will look spooky. :roll: I had no say in his name this is my husband's first dog of his own and he wanted to be the one to name him so we all going to have to live with the name Spooky. ;) He is so much fun and a bundle of energy. The funny thing is we picked the most quiet puppy in the litter and now that he is home he is not so quiet anymore. He is such a corrector I can watch him for hours he play with anything he finds. Our cats are amused with him they can watch him for hours except Spooky thinks that cats are his toys so he wants to get a taste of them. :lol: Too funny I am sure he will get to know that cats will stand their ground and he will have to live with them in the same house. Our 8 year old female Hope still not sure what to think of him but she does play with him. He makes her a little pervious though he tried to nurse from her and she was all confused and kept running away from him. It's really fun to have a puppy I forgot how it is to have one at the house. My husband and I take turns baby sitting him. I think I am training my husband how to train the puppy and than baby sit them both but it's all fun and I love having this little munchkin.

I do have a quick question. Should I feed him 3 times a day? I give him a handful of food three times a day and he seems to eat everything at once. At first I gave him more thinking that he would just eat what he can but he ended up eating the entire dish so now he gets hand full only but more frequent. Is that the right way of doing it? Also do your puppies get hot at home? We keep our house at 70 degrees and some times I see him breath like he is hot but I don’t see Hope do that. However Hope has very short hair and she doesn’t play as often.

And Yes the breeder did give me the list of things he had done and what he is due for next. She also gave us stuff for flees although she says he doesn’t have them she suggested we give him a bath with that anyways.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi there
Denver was getting 1 and 1/2 cups of food 4 times a day at 9weeks old when we first got him. You should consult your vet as to how much to feed,if you are not sure. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. Here is Spooky!!!! One and only Spooky we have. :) He is very difficult to take pictures of he moves around so quickly and won't stand in one spot for a second so I did my best to get some decent pictures.

Hey Mom what are you doing with that camera let me play with it.

Ah something is itching me I think it's the cats foult he must have giving me flees.

Hey kitty can I play with you. Oh please don't run away frome me. (he was trying to run after one of the cats after he wanted to taste him :roll: )

Hey dad is home you can take my picture now.

I need a nap those cats really made me tired.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
lovemy....ok what temp was your doodle Spooky rasied in as he may be adjusting. bring him to a vet soon for a well visit , advice etc.

Most puppies are fed 3 or 4 times a day as they are growing. You can also look on the dog food bag to see weight and food amount to feed as well.
Although your vet would probably be better at this advice .

Spooky is adorable and lookslike he has a wee devil in those eyes hahahahaa lov the pics!!!!!!!

congrats again and cute name!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you guys. We are taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. I will have to ask the breeder what temp they have in their house. Spooky has a very thick coat I am thinking he is just hot after running around the house and playing. I am going to add 4th feeding to his day and will speak to the vet about how to feed him and what temp he thinks we should have in the house. Boy I am a little rusty with this stuff the last time I had a puppy 8 years ago when I got Hope and prior to that it was my 13 year old lab who just passed way a month ago. Since than I have not had any puppies but I think I did a decent job raising them and hope to do the same for this little guy.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Please wait until your puppy is 8 wks old before using the shampoo for fleas. Most will say not to use on puppies less than 8 wks of age.

As for feeding, yes, feed him 3 times a day. It's usually about 1/2 cup each sitting and you can adjust that as he grows. It's usually a good idea to go by the amount suggested on the back of your puppy food bag.

Sounds like you are having fun with Spooky. I bet he is a character, can't wait to see the pics.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts