Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I was just wondering at what age you can determine a labradoodle's coat type? (eg: curly, wavy, straight).
I'm hopefully having my first litter of f1s in 8weeks time (fingers crossed).
Of course I have had all the health tests done & my bitch is now two years old. I'm certainly not irresponsible!
I have experience in breeding dogs, but breeding labradoodles is a whole new venture, so any advice would be most welcome!
Also just wondering with larger breeds (I have only ever bred terriers in the past), what in your experiences have been the prime days for mating? My bitch which is a standard poodle was successfully tied on days 9 and 13. I am aware that every bitch is different, but I just wanted to get an idea on larger breeds!
Thankyou :D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Welcome to the forum, :) The coats on F1's are so different and can be that way out of tht same litter. Usually about 5 weeks you can tell what the coats are going to be but when they blow the puppy coat at about 8 or 9 months I've heard some breeders say their dogs totally change from a flat coat to a wavy coat so we mainly say it's a roll of the dice with the F1's you get what you get.

As far as mating I usually try 9, 11,13 but it is different with all females I had my last female and only bred her one day so another one of those things it just depends. Maybe someone else can give a little better answer. :?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum!
Diane is spot on with her comments about the coat. It is very unpredictable in F1 dogs and my girls' coats changed dramatically from puppyhood to adulthood! Check out the pictures on this forum and you can get a good idea of the variety of F1 coats. (They are all adorable, but the shedding factor is usually present in F1 dogs...not all, but generally.)
As for dated for breeding, I am certain that Diane is right on that too...she is very experienced in Labradoodle breeding. I have only had one litter so I can't help much there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou both very much for your replies! :wink:

I don't mind if my puppies shed a little, I just want healthy & happy pups!

I think that I have got my bitch pretty much spot on with the days, but I'm now concerned... I have noticed my bitch is bleeding again & it's dark red :( , it's not a large amount, but Iam worried, this is her first litter & I have not come across this before!
She stopped bleeding on day 9 (she tied on that day) & she was tied again on day 13, it's now day 15 and I've noticed blood (that's two days after the last mating) Should I be worried?? My Mum says not, but of course I can't help it! She has never started bleeding again after the initial bleeding has stopped, but then again she was a maiden before this! Please any advice at this time would be appreciated! Thanks again for being so helpful, Sarah.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sarah, was it a lot of blood or small amount?
It is possible that her cycle is not completed yet.
My Lexie is in heat for almost 3 weeks! And she does tend to stop bleeding and start again. I think that if the blood is not an unusual color (I believe that bright red is normal, but blackish might make me want to call the vet) then I'd just watch her for a few days.
She may still complete her cycle after the male has lost interest.
I am no expert, not by any means, but I would judge by the color, amount and length of time involved. If in doubt, call your vet because you just can't be too careful, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I know that Diane had a dog do this once but her computer has crashed she hopes to get it back up today. But I have had females bleed after mating. I would watch the color as Jac mentioned if greenish or black a vet call I would think is a must. As I had mentioned in my earlier post I usually have good luck with 9,11,13 but other females can be different so if unsure a visit to the vet to test her is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and thankyou both again for your replies!
Her blood was dark red yesterday & there was a fair amount (About the same as when she first comes on heat). Today the blood is a brownish red & there is hardly any at all. ???
Sarah.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Sarah, in rereading your first post, you mention that you expect your first litter in 8 weeks...so it could very well be a normal heat cycle, but if you feel at all uneasy about it, you should contact your vet and see what he/she says.
I would say not to worry at this point because it seems to me that her heat cycle is just fininshing up...but I don't want you to defer a vet visit based on my opinion.
I wish I could say for sure...but I am certainly no expert...please keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Sarah and congratulations on your upcoming litter :) My computer has been out of service and I'm just now seeing your post. I don't think you have anything to be alarmed about at this point. I have had females spot for a few days after breeding. All females are different, some have long heat cycles, some short so it is very important that you learn how to read your females. I am lucky that I have a very good, experienced stud that alerts me as to when the exact time is for breeding. But when you are not as fortunate a good thing you can do to tell if your female is ready to accept a male is to touch her at the base of her tail and gently rub this area, if she moves her tail to the side and stands, she's ready :!: On the most part, the female is ready on day 9 but can be as early as day 7 or even much later. Whatever day she accepts the male for the first time, then I continue to breed every other day until she goes out of heat. She is more fertile at the end of her heat, so you don't want to quit breeding too soon. Good luck and let us know if you have babies :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi & thanks, I'm reassured.
She is not bleeding today, I think she will be fine & I'm pretty confident that she will be in pup, a scan will let me know this at the beginning of next month. And even if she's not pregnant it's not the end of the world, she's only two & there is always next year (I don't like to have puppies in the winter, it's just a personal preference).
I think her best fertile days were days 11 & 12... well our castrated terrier seemed to think so & he has never been wrong before! Unfortunately the stud's owners were away until day 13, so the remate had to be then!
Yes she is still flagging her tail, but our male is not interested & hasn't been for just short of a week! & I really doubt she would stand for the stud now & I won't be trying. We took her there four times with only two successful matings.
Ok I think I may be starting to waffle now, so I'll go.
Thanyou all, this is a great site, though unfortunately I can't view the gallery :( . Anyway I will of course let you know if my girl is expecting, fingers crossed! Sarah x

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Sarah, keep trying the gallery. It has been down and Mark was working on it so it should be up any time now :)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi Sarah, and welcome.....how exciting to have another breeder join us!

Best wishes with your new Mom! Sounds like all is well at this point for you, so just poke around and let us know when you have pictures posted. If your girl has stopped bleeding then everything sounds good, but if she EVER misses a meal or stops drinking call your vet immediately, of course.

I loved the story about your castrated-dog-barometer! What a riot. And it sounds like you got your girl's timing, which can, thank God, happen with even one tie. I know this, cuz that's what happened with our Yankee this time.... thank God she's got a growing belly, from a one-night-stand. :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Okay, Maureen...what am I missing? I what does it mean if they won't eat one meal or miss drinking water???

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hahahahahaha, sorry Jac. I was just referring to the fact that a dog not eating or drinking IS a serious sign. Sorry, it's not that any dog missing a single meal is serious, necessarily, but that after something unusual, like the bleeding resuming that Sarah mentioned, or if you are suspecting something, the first thing my vet asks is whether the dog is eating and drinking. :)

Does that help?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.