Labradoodle Forums banner

Hi, I'm new, have a new LD puppy, I'm going crazy

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  2doodsmom 
Hi, I know that this is not easy to believe at this moment, but it WILL get better!
Eight weeks is very young to expect any type of control, so all you can do at this point is to continue what you are doing, take him outside about every 2 hours and every time he wakes up and every time he eats.
After a while, he will find his "spot" and will try to go in the same area (or at least outside) every time.
He probably does know that his crying will get you to come and get him and so he cries often and this is very confusing when you are trying to figure him out.
I would suggest that you work on the crate training as a separate issue from house training because he will learn to enjoy his crate unless he sees it as punishment.
I would also suggest that you keep him blocked off in a room with easy to clean flooring, like the kitchen.
These dogs are social and like to be where the family is so we put our crate in the kitchen.
When you take him out, you might want to tether him to you so that you are aware of what he is doing every minute.
But you do have to expect that he will potty on your rug...he probably prefers going to the bathroom ON a soft surface.
Many people say that they would not use potty pads, but we used them with every dog and have had no problem getting them to go outside...but when they are inside, and if they need to go, they at least will find the potty pad. You can ease them away from potty pads as they get more control.
There are so many methods for training, it is hard to say which one will work best for you but I know that you will find it...just give yourself a little more time.
It is important that you don't get angry at your puppy for mistakes, just be firm and take him outside, then praise him when he pottys...also don't let him play until he goes to the bathroom. If you get angry at him, he thinks you are angry because you SAW him and he will hide (plus he won't want you to SEE him when he has to go outside and he will wait.)
I can tell that you want to do everything right, but you know, you will learn right along with Buddy...and it will be okay.
There are some really good internet sites that give suggestions on potty triaining too...and some great creat training methods.
Here is one site that I think is really good (it starts with crate training and has a link at the bottom for house training):
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.