Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I've had him for 4 days now. Buddy is 8 weeks old. He's the cutest thing in the world but OMG! I'm trying to do everything correctly, I put a treat in the crate, I don't leave him in here for too long, I'm trying my best to give positive reinforcement. BUT he hates the crate, I feel awful when he cries and scratches to get out (yes I look the other way). Today I must have taken him outside 9 times to "do his business." Yet at the end of the day, he got away from me and went straight for my $800 rug and peed on it. How do you tell if your puppy is scratching and whining in the crate because he needs to go pee, or if he is just trying to get out? Any answers will be appreciated, I'm sleep deprived and desperate.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, I know that this is not easy to believe at this moment, but it WILL get better!
Eight weeks is very young to expect any type of control, so all you can do at this point is to continue what you are doing, take him outside about every 2 hours and every time he wakes up and every time he eats.
After a while, he will find his "spot" and will try to go in the same area (or at least outside) every time.
He probably does know that his crying will get you to come and get him and so he cries often and this is very confusing when you are trying to figure him out.
I would suggest that you work on the crate training as a separate issue from house training because he will learn to enjoy his crate unless he sees it as punishment.
I would also suggest that you keep him blocked off in a room with easy to clean flooring, like the kitchen.
These dogs are social and like to be where the family is so we put our crate in the kitchen.
When you take him out, you might want to tether him to you so that you are aware of what he is doing every minute.
But you do have to expect that he will potty on your rug...he probably prefers going to the bathroom ON a soft surface.
Many people say that they would not use potty pads, but we used them with every dog and have had no problem getting them to go outside...but when they are inside, and if they need to go, they at least will find the potty pad. You can ease them away from potty pads as they get more control.
There are so many methods for training, it is hard to say which one will work best for you but I know that you will find it...just give yourself a little more time.
It is important that you don't get angry at your puppy for mistakes, just be firm and take him outside, then praise him when he pottys...also don't let him play until he goes to the bathroom. If you get angry at him, he thinks you are angry because you SAW him and he will hide (plus he won't want you to SEE him when he has to go outside and he will wait.)
I can tell that you want to do everything right, but you know, you will learn right along with Buddy...and it will be okay.
There are some really good internet sites that give suggestions on potty triaining too...and some great creat training methods.
Here is one site that I think is really good (it starts with crate training and has a link at the bottom for house training):
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi. They are a handful! I say, more work than a baby! We welcomed our puppy at 8 weeks too. Now, he's four months. I can give you a little bit of what I experienced. The first week, he cried like crazy and I ignored him. I kept him in his kennel most of the time. Now, he doesn't make a peep. I am so glad I stuck it out. I also never left him alone with my kids or unsupervised (and still don't). I know they are fast, but, they can get themselves into lots of trouble. And potty training; I am just now starting to feel like he's getting the hang of it. We went through it, going outside in the bitter cold at 3 in the morning, just to pee on the rug when he came in. Yikes! I think the hardest thing though was his biting everything. We are just now starting to get to play with him with him understanding he can't bit us like his littermates.

So, hang in there. They are a handful. But, I would not trade my sweet Prince Biscuit for anything. Just a little look and a kiss makes it all better.

I did receive some great advice on this forum. It was NILIF; Nothing in life is for free; Here is the website link http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

Good luck

Susan & Biscuit!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hang in there--the house training does take a while and is not something a dog learns in a few days--especially when an 8 week baby. It does seem like you devote your life to going in and out in the beginning of training. We have a new puppy (not a doodle-a tiny rescue dog from Puerto Rico we named Betty) and at first we needed to watch her closely and take her out for a lot of false calls--jsut as I did with Fred and the dogs that came before them. We are using those training pads also--first time, but it has been sooo cold it seemed a good idea for a puppy who came from a warm climate. It made me nervous at first that Betty would never get the idea of going out--but she is doing great now. At first she used the pads a lot (and the rug occasionally) but she learned really quickly to use the pad and not the rug. We still keep one down, but mostly since it had been very cold and this puppy has short hair and had been sick when we got her. Now she hardly ever uses the pad and hasn't had an accident for a week. :) She is 4 months, which is significantly older than your pup for the purpose of house training though. It is all worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The BEST peice of house training advice I ever got was to keep the puppy on a leash close to you as much as possible. My puppy HATED the crate and beleive me, I made a valiant effort to crate train him. We let him cry and whine and scratch (at night) in the crate for over a week. We would get up every 2 hours to let him go out and do his business but he never got used to being in the crate. So finally we talked to a trainer and she told us to let him sleep in our room with us at the foot of the bed on a short leash tied to the bed. Puppies will not poop and pee where they sleep or in their immediate area. It worked like a charm. He would wake up and whine when he needed to go out. Eventually, the leash got longer then we took him off of him completely. We have a doggie door now so he can go out at night if he needs to. He never ever goes in the house. The trainer told me that pee pads might confuse the puppy because you are letting them potty inside your house, which is what you don't want. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You have gotten some really good advice so I don't have much to add but I will say that it is important, when taking your puppy out, that you take him on a leash until he potties, then praise him and take the leash off and let him run around a play for awhile. He will soon learn that when that leash is on, he has to do his business and that once he does, he will get the reward of running around and exploring. When you let your puppy out without a leash, there are so many strange smells and things to explore that they will forget they have to potty until they get back into the house and it's like "Oh yeah, I have to pee". Tethering the puppy to you when out of his crate is another great way to housebreak. That way you are right there to make corrections when needed. One other thing, I don't know where you have the crate at night but if you put it in your bedroom so he knows you are near and then take a light cover and throw over his crate, this might help. Dogs are den animals and he will learn to love his crate. Hang in there, it is definately worth it. He's like a human baby, he has to be taught what is acceptable and what isn't.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You have got some great advice from people who care and know what they are talking about! This forum has given me so much good advice on raising our Sadie, who we got at 8 weeks and is now 4 months. It DOES get better so hang in there.

We put Sadies' crate in our bedroom at night and put a blanket over it and that seemed to help her like her crate better. Eventually, we left the crate door open, closed our bedroom door and she slept in our room without any accidents.

She didn't do quite so well in the rest of the house tho - she has peed and pood on our carpets too. Luckily the enzymatic cleaners did not take the dye out of my antique carpets. Best thing to do is roll them up and put them away for a while if you want to protect them. No doubt you will have more accidents unless the puppy is spending most of its time outdoors. Also blocking off a space for her is really good advice. We didn't do that as we have a very open concept house. She pretty much had the freedom to go anywhere except the bedrooms and bathrooms. And she did find places to do her business when we weren't watching her close enough.

That being said, she is pretty much house trained now. But I think it took a bit longer than other pups, so keeping your dog crated, tethered or in a small area is well worth it in terms of getting the dog housetrained fast.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi there! Congratulations on your sweet addition.

You've gotten a lot of good advice and expertise from all these helpful doodle folks. I don't have anything much to add except to encourage you not to get too intense about this. I have two doods, littermates who came home at 8 weeks. I was determined to do everything right and I read and asked for and received a lot of advice. Sometimes I was frustrated because it seemed like there are many different opinions about how to train your dog. How do you find the one right way?

I remember feeling this way when I had babies... there was so much good advice in books and from friends and family. Sometimes two different respected sources had what seemed to be conflicting ideas. Looking back on that time, I was so worried about doing everything right that I missed enjoying some of what it was to have a baby.

I did the same thing at first with my pups. I read everything and worried that I was screwing up. And I was sleep deprived and tired of pee and poop and soggy newpapers and messy crates! But I was missing some of the pure pleasure it is to have a puppy.

So my advice? Relax a little. You guys are going to figure it out. It will take time and there will be messes. Let that be okay for a while. Before you know it you're going to be looking at your big ol' doodle and miss the puppy he used to be! I also recommend earplugs. You can't be a great doodle mom unless you get your sleep! And puppy will be fine! Really.

Hang in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts