Labradoodle Forums banner

Hi Everyone! Been a while... FINALLY progress!!! ... Maybe

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  LexiAnn 
#1 ·
HI Everyone!!! It has been Months since I last posted- I have been concentrating a lot on wedding planning etc and have been trying so hard to be patient waiting for our puppy's planned litter to come to fruition. It got too hard for me to be on the site so much when I had so long to wait before our puppy was coming!

Well... our breeder thought that the mother would go into heat in Dec/Jan some time... we waited and waited and still nothing. I have been checking every couple of weeks with the breeder and she has been doing everything she can think of to try to influence nature in our favor (ie: kenneling this dog with other females in heat etc) and still nothing. Well finally today I checked in once again and the breeder made us another offer...

She said that she would be happy to refund our deposit, but she also said that out of her last litter she kept 3 females for breeding since she is retiring the mom of this litter. These 3 females are F1's from a beautiful big poodle (who would have also been our puppy's dad) and a black lab with AMAZING hunting lines... (would have been our puppies grandma, as we wanted an F1b). There is one puppy in particular who has "the most beautiful fleece coat that she has ever seen on an F1" (and I have seen some BEAUTIFUL puppies on her website as I have been patiently waiting for my own to be breed)... she is willing to give us-and only us- this little black girl with the beautiful curly coat because according to her the curly coat is not ideal for breeding F1bs, the wavy coat is and that is what the other two girls have. The breeder says this female is one of the best in the litter.

Originally we wanted an F1b becuase my fiance is allergic to his family lab, but we needed those hunting lines. This dog will atually have stronger hunting lines, but is an F1... she is 9 weeks old and we are waiting for the breeder to take a pic of her and send to us. If we like what we see we may take her.

Question is: if she looks curly as a puppy, is there still a chance that she could have a flatter adult coat? and shed more? ... opinions... should we take her?

I trust this breeder a great deal and do trust her word and opinion... I believe that she would not try to sell us a puppy that would not meet our needs, but this is all of a sudden happening so fast! And I just wanted some opinions from those I trust before I make any hasty decisions.

See less See more
#2 ·
The amount of curl does not neccessary tell you alot

A curl coated F1 labradoodle can still end up shedding and a flat coat that you thought might shed may not when the adult coat comes in. I do not place F1 labradoodles in any homes that have allergy issues - it is not fair to the puppy or the family and is just to risky. I would recommend waiting for the F1B

Good luck! I am sure that you will find your perfect puppy soon!
Holly

#3 ·
I am aware that all F1s can shed, and that the curliness doesnt always predict the shedding... his allergies arent bad... just not comfortable if he rubs his eyes etc. after petting the dog. Mostly we just dont want hair everywhere-

anyways, the F1 that we were waiting to be bred has the same mother as this little puppy and she doesnt shed at all, plus this little puppy is curlier than the other F1 was when she was a puppy...

the other problem with waiting is that the dog needs to be between 5-7 months old in October for the Duck opener in order to have her at the right age for training. THis is a short window and I am afraid that if we wait much longer my fiance is going to want to wait another year... and to be honest I dont think I can!!!

The reality is that we are looking for a doodle that has a curly coat- and we liked the idea of the F1b because of that. The truth is that this F1 will probably hunt better because she has more lab in her... and the timing with this one seems right. We have been waiting for SOOOOOOOOO long as many of the other Sr members on the boards know and this is so exciting for us, I guess I was just looking for a little encouragement that an F1 with curly coat can have just as good of a coat as an F1b.

Jac??? where are ya??? :D

#6 ·
Hi Kelly, I don't have any guesses but I am wondering the same thing about Copper. He was born Dec 1 and at his vet appt at almost 10 wks he was 16+ pounds :shock: He is soooo much bigger than Jett was at this age and Jett is now 55 pounds. Kind of scary when you think about it. :lol:

Congratulations on your decision :!:

#10 ·
Kelly! I didn't know this string was on here! I would have jumped in, you KNOW I would have! :wink: (This puppy is beautiful!!!)

I also would have told you that it sounded like you were already in love and had made up your mind...so to go for it!

It is true that F1s are unpreductible and true that many cause allergies and do shed...also true that some don't...and if you are willing to gamble, and accept the situation if it turns out that the pup does shed...or cause allergic reactions, then I see no problem.

I will also say (again...forgive me for telling this so often, but I think it is important when this question comes up) my F1s do shed, but don't aggravate my husband's severe allergies.

The shedding isn't anywhere close to that of a Lab...but it is noticible on clothing and furniture.

Brush the dog a lot and just keep an eye on the shedding...when mine turned one year old, one quit shedding, the other slowed to very little shedding. So, there is hope!

Vicky! I think that Copper will be a big boy! He takes after his daddy a lot and Chase is 70 and I think still growing! Although, Mama Lexie could have some genetic pull there...if so, he could still be smaller.

We took Max (11 weeks old) to his new family this weekend (sob!) and he weighs about 22 pounds...could be close to 25...they wouldn't let him on the plane with me, too big to fit under a seat...so Dave is driving to Los Angeles tonight to meet the new owners half way. I got to spend the night with little Max alone...just the two of us, and he is such a love! He has been absolutely GREAT to not bark, whine, fuss and he has been stuffed into a little sausage casing of a travel crate, enroute since 2 AM! He, absolutely, has his daddy's temperament...and I couldn't be happier!

Oh, and Kelly...my F1Bs don't shed (yet, it could happen still), well that is all but one...the one that looks just like a Lab...but he is so danged cute that nobody cares if he sheds! :D

Bottom line? It's a gamble! Good luck!

#11 ·
Hi Kelly. Looking at that pup, I would be excited too. I would have to say that your pup is going to be long and wavy like Star. If she is that curly now, she will not be flat like the others. I have 2 F1 LD's and both of them shed very minimal. Believe me when i say I can compare. i have 2 labradors that shed like crazy and my 2 doodles only shed in a brush. Congratulations, and can't wait to hear the updates!!!! Here is my girl Star.

#12 ·
Thanks Shannon and Jac! The breeder said that even when she baths her and brushes her she gets NO hair int he brush which I think is a good sign. Also, even if there is some fur on the couch when she gets a little older... I think we already love her so much before meeting her that at that point NOTHING will matter!

as you can see it is the middle of the night and I have not been sleeping becuse I am just so excited!!!!! I decided to get up and poke around for a little while, hoping to tire myself out.

So yes, she is arriving at 2:30 on Friday and I can hardly stand it. THis week is going to be the hardest EVER! We decided in the end that we trust the breeder's sense on the coat (she is very good about guessing and has her little boy who has some allergies always snuggle close to the puppies to "tell her which ones make him sneeze" ha! and our little Sammy does not. Plus Dereks allergies are nothing bad, just didnt want a Lab- but he grew up with one and did just fine, just cant nuzzle in without getting some itchy eyes. Also, her hunting instincts will be better as an F1 and we would trade that for just abotu anything :)

well thanks everyone for your support!!!

#15 ·
Keep us updated on how the hunting goes with Sammy! He sure is a cute. Just to let you know i have an F1 goldendoodle. My sister has dog allergies and he does not bother her one bit, however, my nefew has severe dog allergies, and he is not bothered for about 2 days than he will start rubbing his eyes ect (i think this is pretty good b/c he can not even visit my grandparents house for 2 min with out almost having to go to the hospital and they own one doberman).

Good luck with Sammy.
Terri lynn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.