Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took my 2 puppies to get fixed at the rescue center. We took them on an afternoon and they got their surgery the next day and the center kept them the next day for observation. When we picked them up they running every where, barking,and whining. They were so skinny that their stomachs were shunking in and their ribs were showing. Plus they were dirty and panting which can only mean they kept them outside and its over 90 degrees here. :x Was it part of the prep for the surgery not to feed them and should I complain about them been treated that way?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi
Our dog was just spayed a few weeks ago. She was not to have any thing to eat or drink after 8pm the night before the surgery. But after the surgery, they gave her some food and water.
Your dogs should not be dirty - they should be kept in a sterile, or at least very clean, kennel to prevent infection. I would certainly ask how they got so dirty. That doesn't sound like proper post op care to me!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, I agree with Jannie...I'd ask very pointed questions and let them know that you are not happy with the treatment of your dogs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
also - watch your dogs very carefully for signs of infection. Any redness, swelling or discharge around the surgery site should be reported to your vet immediately. You didn't say if they are males or females. The female surgery is more invasive, but with both males and females you should keep a good eye on them for a week to 10 days. Do they have to go back to remove the stitches? I think I would take them to another vet, especially if this place does not have some good answers for you regarding your pets' care.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I just had a litter done and they could have water but no food the night before after midnight. When I picked them up late that day they told me to ded them small amounts and as much water as they wanted. I would certainly complain sometimes we don't do enough of that and just let people get by with their actions I say complain until someone listens!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts