Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of adopting our first Labradoodle. She is a beautiful Apricot /Cream curly F1B puppy. She is 4 weeks old right now....can't wait to take her home!! The only problem, we cannot come up with a name we love.

This might be due, in part, to losing our 9 year old Black Lab Brandy, just this past October. We are nowhere near over the loss yet, but feel we need to get a new puppy for the family. We are just dog people! The house is lonely with out a dog.

Here is what we have so far... Clover, Teagan, Calli, Amber, Zoe, Summer, Ally.

Any thoughts, suggestions????? Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey and welcome! Congrats on your new pooch!
A house is not a home unless there in it lives a furry creature and labradoodles are the best!
I love Teagan, but I'm a strange name type of gal and my dog's name is Mudd and ANYTHING is better than that!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here goes from someone who hasn't come up with a good name yet.
You'll be getting your puppy in march - How about Bailey - for Baileys Irish cream? :wink:

I give it some more thought. I'm sure others will have some suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

First of all I'd like to say thank you to everyone for your responses. This seems like such a welcoming place to get info on Labradoodles!

I think we have two issues with a name...#1 Way too much time to think about it! and #2 We know too many people and dogs who have taken names we really like!!!!

I do love Bailey (cute...Irish Cream), but we have two in the family. But that's exactly the track of thinking I am going for. I have been on almost every name site out there...dogs, horses, bears, you name it! I like Clover, because it is Irish. Teagan is also, and in Welsh it means beautiful girl. I also favor the quick and easy names like Calli. My husband and son are a little shy of "cuter" names....I thought Peaches was cute. Thus, no go! Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI and i am sure when your doodle arrives somehow you'll find the right name.

going nuts pouring over names is part of puppy parenthood hahhaaaa

·
Registered
670 Posts
i like clover! :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I like Zoe also. It is my granddaughter's name, so I could never use it for a dog :roll: but i do think it is a very sweet name.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my $.02

I dont like dog names that end with the "E" sound...like Sammy, Harley, Ashley, yada yada yada. too many dog names have the ending "E" sound. Since you lost Brandy (I was sorry to hear that) I would choose a name that did not start with a "B" and/or end with the "E" sound. when you have few names say them out loud like you are calling their name to come...

We were kicking around the name of our new dood and my wife said "you know that dog is probably going to go everywhere with you so something needs to fit that"....we were sitting at a light when a Ryder truck pulled out of a parking and my wife said Ryder - cause he will be a boat rider, a truck rider, a canoe rider, a car rider...we like it and went with Ryder!!

G

·
I read a tip that said to name your dog with a name that ends in a vowel or a "y".
I also found this on a greyhound website:

The best way to pick dog names is to choose names that feel and sound pleasant to you and end in vowels so it ends softly. Even better is a name that starts with a vowel as well. Don't worry if you want to get their attention, even a gentle sounding name will get the attention of your Greyhound dog when you mean business, the tone of your voice will speak volumes -so to speak.
I like Calli or Halle or Zoe...and I think Cailin is Gaelic for girl and Alainn is Gaelic for beautiful...

Good Luck, it's fun!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really appreciate all of your input! Is is nice to talk to people who even know what a Labradoodle is!! Also, thank you for your kind words about Brandy.

I think we have narrowed the field to...
Teagan (Irish/ beautiful girl)
Callie (Irish/Pure)
Zoe (a Labradoodle can definitely handle this cute name!!)

I think Ryder's owner might be right that Brandy and Callie will sound similar when calling her. A definite consideration. (By the way Ryder is a great name...very original!) I have found it is much easier to name a male dog than a female:)
Thanks again!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
My 2nd vote is for Teagan :) Funny because a family friend's daughter is named Teagan, but I think they spell it differently. So I vote Zoe and then Teagan (or T for short) :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was just looking at some other conversations and realized that she( our puppy) is already on this site. She is one of Kelsey and Kosmo's babies from M+T (Martha & Tom) of R.I. In Martha's photobucket link, she is the Apricot girl from the Jan 08 litter. There is a more current pic of her on the RIlabraddoodles.com site. Martha and Tom are great. I can't even begin to tell you how impressed we were with Kelsey and Kosmo. And their new baby, Monet is gorgeous!

Picking a puppy may actually be the only thing harder than picking a name!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for posting her picture...I am new at this! We are very excited about bringing her home. It is such a long wait!

The kids can't wait to meet her. Luckily Tom and Martha have invited them to visit her before the 8 weeks is up. And my son can't wait to meet Kosmo and Kelsey!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts