Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a breeder who can answer these questions about the variance in this breed:

Shedding - what determines this and how can I best avoid it

Personality - prefer a lab temperment over poodle

Breeder directory ?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'd be glad to help you..... feel free to email me

Are you familiar with the temperment of a Standard Poodle? Personally I have 2 and I don't see any less devotion to me in them than I do in a Lab. They bark less, as a matter of fact, than our Lab. Altho our (senior) Lab did teach our first St. Poodle to bark at noises, which is kinda irritating. :wink:

But I would be glad to help you in your interest in Doodles and their traits.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi CincyFrank...welcome!

Labradoodle coats are more consistent (quality) the more Poodle you have in the coat. So, if you want to have a better chance at a low to non shedding dog, you should look to a multigen or an F1B, but probably not an F1. (F1 is the first cross between a Lab and a Poodle and F1B takes an F1 and breeds back to a Poodle...multigen is several generations of breeding Labradoodles with an occasional Poodle parent bred back in and an Australian Multigen is a combination of up to 6 breeds and originates from the original Australian stock.)

No one can promise non shedding...we can make a good calculation based on experience and genetics...but sometimes genetics can fool us and we won't know that until the dog actually does shed.

Where you are searching for more Lab traits, you may also find more shedding...but not always. We have some puppies that look like Labs in their features and build, but their coat is thick and wavy and have, so far, been low/non shedding.

What I am saying is that because the Labradoodle is an evolving breed and because there are no standards yet, you can get just about anything along the spectrum...it is hard to predict unless you are working with a breeder who has bred the same parents before and can tell you about past litters...even then it is possible that things change.

I agree with Maureen about Poodle temperaments. We thought that Poodles were yappy, snappy, prissy dogs...but we found out that our Poodle is the best dog ever! He is calm, loving, quiet, easy-going and really quite funny. We don't clip his coat like Poodles and he actually looks like a Labradoodle!

But, the Lab personality is very endearing too...I have found the Labradoodle to be a wonderful mix of the two.

This forum has a breeder directory, and you can look at the ALAA directory (www.ilainc.com) or the Premium Breeders (http://www.goldendoodle-labradoodle.org/). There are others too. The important thing is to look for a breeder who tests their breeding stock, offers a warranty, and will stand behind you and your puppy for life.

I wish you all the best in your search. These really are great dogs!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The others have pretty much said it all so I can't add anything except I do agree with the Poodle temperament I think the St Poodles have been way under estimated they are great indoors and out I have 2 inside and most of the time you don't even know they are around where as my Lab in the house requires much more attention. Until I owned a Poodle I never knew how great there were. With that said the mix of them with the Lab makes the Doodles even greater... :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts