Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock:

O.K. Here goes....Calvin is 1 year old this month and has NEVER had solid poop. During the first 3 months of his life with me I changed food about 3 times and attributed it to that. It rains all during the winter here and so, quite frankly, I didn't notice or care....Well, now it is spring and he is still "muddy". I took a stool sample to the vet and they said it was clean. No worms. I also noticed that Curly's poop is the same as Calvins. SO, i guess it could be their food, right? I have decided to change food-again- but don't know where to go due to the recent recalls and stuff. Does anybody have a food they can recommend I try? I am tempted to go with Natural Balance as that is what I buy the cat, but I really don't have any other reason....The food I am currently buying him is Costco's food and rated very high. It has no corn or wheat in it and no ingredients that I cannot identify. ANY suggestions? I can't 'pick-up' soft, mushy poop all summer.... :wink: Leslie

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Leslie, I would pm Annmarie she has had a lot of experience with chronic diarrhea, I think she may qualify as an expert soon!. I tried the Kirkland food also but the Lamb and Rice gave Toby BAD GAS :shock: and Lani was allergic to something in the Chicken and Rice formula. We are back on Canidae and they are doing good. I know that Annmarie has Max and Peanut on a mixture of Canidae and homemade food. Good luck.

G

·
I think Kirklands might have egg product listed as an ingredient. Eggs definitely give Bella diarrhea and Max can't tolerate eggs either (I think it was Max).
It could also be Giardia. Hard to diagnose and easily transmitted. Easily treated with Flagyl by mouth.
But maybe try Canidae and see how they do.
And cheese always firms Bella up, others swear by pumpkin (real pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling :) )

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Kirkland gave Denver lots of runny poops.
He has been on Canidae for a long time now(6months) which I mix in with
chicken, oatmeal, greenbeans and carrots. His coat is beautiful and his stools are very solid. Denver is 11 months old

Sue

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
http://www.precisepet.com/pplus.asp

See the above link for Precise Plus Pet Foods. This is the product Coco has been eating since she was weaned. It comes highly recommended and hasn't been involved in any of the recall stuff. I sometimes mix a small amount of yogurt in with the dry food and soak in a little purified warm water.

Coco did have giardia, though it wasn't detectable in the test she had done.....it is hard to diagnose and may take several screenings to see it.
She was treated with Flagyl for seven days and it cleared everything up.
The cool and damp, wet weather causes giardia to thrive....
Since both dogs have runny poop, I'd suspect it. Is there any blood in the stool?

Hopefully it is a food issue. Hope you get it cleared up soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with Canidae. It really seems to be the very best food for us. Not just with potty problems, but skin, also. My 14 year old dog has had this bald spot on her back end for a couple of years and nobody could figure out why. When I got Hector Doodle, I found Canidae all life stages so I didn't have to feed 2 different foods (senior and puppy), and within a week, Ellie's hair was re-growing. Last time I bought food, the only store around here who sells Canidae was out of what they eat, so he recommended another brand (high quality) until they got more in, and within a week, her hair was leaving that spot again! Anyway, I really think it's a super food!
Jenny

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
the nutro sensitive stomach rice and oatmeal is not on recall and works wonderful and is median priced at about $30 for 40 pounds. it has worked well for many people I know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Frankie was on the Costco Kirkland brand and he was having the same problem with the runny poop. I switch him to the Nutro Sensitive Stomach and so far so good, he has been on it for about a week now and is finally back to normal. It is not on the recall list because I check that out throughly and it was recommended by my vet.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LESLIE.. hi know what honey? you aren't alone. I have spent tons of money on stool samples, testing etc

Ok here goes:

1) if i overfeed max he gets bad diarrhea
2) if he has eggs same thing
3)max has tested negative to worms/parasites etc
4) i tried 2 types of Innova, 2 types of Nutro, even Purina....the ONLY FOOD that works is Candiae
HOWEVER i have cooked for max for 3mos so the dry dog food transition went REALLY SLOW and i mean SLOW in minute amounts

5) NO doggie treats, NO bully sticks ...that gives gas and diarrhea
6) yourgurt and cottage cheese is ONLY given maybe 2 times a week @ 1 teaspoon OR we get diarrhea

so here goes....i started with bland diet of
boiled rice BUT NOW changed over to oatmeal (old fashioned oats)
boiled chicken now (no beef anymore) and sometimes venison

what i do is I mix 1/2 cup oatmeal to 1/2 cup chicken with 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin...then add 1 omega 2 capsule to 1 meal a day and also use 1 cup of dry Canidae all life stages food ( beige and green bag)

what i have found is: rarely do i give pepto bismal UNLESS he gets bad diarrhea

his poop has solidified , less odor, he gained back the 9lbs he lost and gained 6more lbs in 5 weeks, his coat is shiny, no flaking, is fuller, less scarggly looking, and he is happy and full of energy.

LESLIE try a total 100% bland diet for one week ok? then slowly introduce dry food again maybe try Canidae? i also hear Life's abudance may be good via internet only or calif natrual?? for us EGGS are a NO NO

summary: max must may have poodle tummy which can take up to 1.5years to outgrow.
I do until a month ago i had diarrhea to deal with like no tomorrow!

You can boil chicken, make oatmeal and mix in pumpkin ok? in a big tub which is much easier to serve then.

YOU can PM me if you want.

sorry to others for writing a book hahaha but I have Max's training class in a short while and wont be home for anohter 3 hours or so and wanted to post this right now

Lastly: Canidae has papaya in it wh/is a digestive enzyme. till i put max on it i bought Papaya chewable tablets at walmart and gave him 2 a day!

Now Candiae also has acidolfulus in it wh/ also aids in digestion.

what this means is both help digest fat, carbohydrates and protein while relaxing the intestines thus dog gets nutrients and poops out the "debris" with also less odor

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
gene said:
Annmarie is our resident "poopspert"! :lol:
who ya gonna call? the Poop Buster!! hahahahhaa that's me! :wink:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow - a whole year without a solid turd is a LOOOONG time.
Bailey had the squirts when the first week we brought her home. She went to the vet and was treated with Flagyl I think it was. Probably was giardia but the vet didn't say for sure.

Because we wanted to for sure get over the diarrhea, we put her on Nutro Natural Choice (for sensitive tummy) Chicken Meal, Rice and Oatmeal.
She did OKAY on that. Poop could be firmer but they are definitely turds.

We're midway through switching over to Canidae. No poop problems and she gets half Nutro and half Canidae now.

CANIDAE
+ Rated very high by lots of people on this forum
+ Bailey LOVES it. It would take her all night to eat her 1 1/2 c. of Nutro
+ About same cost considering she doesn't get as much Canidae as Nutro

Good luck - after a year of diarrhea you deserve some luck AND an award. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
PUMPKIN :shock: - Anyone who recommends pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) MUST know what they are talking about! They've either tried it or read about it. Just think about it and think of a pumpkin pie - and the consistency of it - who'da thunk some pumpkin would HELP diarrhea??? It's certainly the last thing I'da thought of, since it looks like baby **** - oh well, you get the idea.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW! Thanks everyone! I went to the store today and bought Nutro for sensative stomachs..I was torn between that and the Canidae....(My decision was made easier by the fact that this particular store didn't carry the lattter.....) Anyway, I will begin the switcheroo tonight and hope to have a repreve from the loose stools and really, really stinky gas soon. I'll keep you posted, of course. If this doesn't show results by the end of the 40 pound bag, I'll drive to the next town and see if I can find Canidae...

Leslie

·
Registered
122 Posts
NurseLeslie said:
.....If this doesn't show results by the end of the 40 pound bag, I'll drive to the next town and see if I can find Canidae...
IF you end up wanting to switch to Canidae, go to their website www.canidae.com and click on Store Locator, then you can put in your zip code and find the nearest dealers.

At least around here (GA), not nearly as many places carry Canidae as Nutro. Here anyway, Petsmart and Petco are everywhere, and they both carry Nutro and neither carries Canidae. I go 25 miles for Canidae and have 4-6 stores closer that carry Nutro.

But to me it's worth it, cuz Bailey likes it so well :D

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Wow! I have so far really liked using Precise Plus puppy formula.....but I am very tempted to try Canidae with Coco.....Tell me again how to introduce it...how much do I mix in her current food and over what time frame do I make the switch?
I am curious to see if it improves her coat...since, I am not aware of any problems on Precise and have been happy with it.....just thought since you all rave about it, maybe I should give it a try!!

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jane, I have to say the canidae has made Jonah's coat much silkier! And very shiny also. I never noticed before that it was dull til we changed over. I did 3/4 old to 1/4 new for 2 days, 1/2 to 1/2 for two days, 1/4 to 3/4 two days, then all canidae.....no problem, at all!

·
Registered
122 Posts
gene said:
3/4 old to 1/4 new for 2 days, 1/2 to 1/2 for two days, 1/4 to 3/4 two days, then all canidae.....
I'm using the same ratios as above, but for 4 days each for a total of 12 days. I did 12 days because I wanted to use up all of the Nutro that I had left. At $ 30+ per bag, I figure why waste it. I just measured how much we had and figured it would take 12 days to use it up.

Most stuff I've read says to switch over a period of 7 days. So, I think Gene's method of 2 days each should work great!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts