Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Murphy has recently discovered that he can swim, which is very cute and a great way to get some of his puppy energy out of him. The trouble is that we can't control him once he gets down to the river. He follows commands up until about 20 feet of the rivers edge, but once there, he ignores us, and is sometimes even defiant. (I have to say though, once it is time to go, he does follow us immediately away from the water).

So, this poses two issues, first, we are worried that if he ever gets down to the river on his own and decides to swim without us present, it could pose a danger to him. Anythoughts on how to teach him that he can only swim when we are around.

Second, he seems to think that he is king of the river. We are thinking that it's because he is the only one who swims, while we stand on shore, so maybe he thinks it's his domain. He is such a great dog, listens to commands, etc when we are home, but refuses to listen when in the river. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to let him know that we are still in control?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is a serious concern, I agree with you that you need to control how far he goes...if the river starts to run too swiftly, he could get into trouble.
He MUST learn the "come" command...but that is a tricky one because you never want to use that command unless you can make it happen. You dont' want him to think that he can decide when to obey and when not to.
We use a 50' lead and have the most yummy treats for this game...
have at least one other person with you, more if possible...stand at opposite ends and the one with the dog close tosses the lead to the other...and then the other says the dog's name and "come"...only one time. If the dog comes, lots of praise and a very yummy treat. If not, start to "reel him in" with the lead and when he get there, tell him "good come" and praise and treat. Then toss the lead to the other for the same thing...
Teaching the come command is one of the toughest. Maybe Kari will read this and tell you the technique they use with guide dogs.
Perhaps teaching him that he is not allowed to go into the water without your command would be good too. He needs to know that you decide, not him.
That's a tough one...good luck.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2396

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Boy that is a tough one. Cinnamon is a swimmer, but she comes out of the water when you call, of course we don't have a river, just a small lake.

One thing in our favor too is she only gets to swim when some one is with her. If she is out side unsupervised, then it's a fenced in back yard.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
have you tried putting a 50ft lead on your doodle leaving it attached even when in the water? Or with a 50ft lead you can correct him when you say NO or WAIT etc. just a thought

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jac what i meant was ....they say Murphy runs for the water. If they put a 30 or 50 ft lead/leash on him they can try training him to Listen and NOT go in the water till they say it's okay :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh! hahahahaha...well now, THAT makes sense!

Hey, Vanessa, when I want all of my dogs to come, I never use the word, come...I say, "Lets get a treat!" and every dog heads toward the place I am going! That's a good solution to get 8 dogs to follow me...otherwise, no way!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jac said:
Oh! hahahahaha...well now, THAT makes sense!

Hey, Vanessa, when I want all of my dogs to come, I never use the word, come...I say, "Lets get a treat!" and every dog heads toward the place I am going! That's a good solution to get 8 dogs to follow me...otherwise, no way!
Heck , i'd follow you too Jac :D :D :D good idea though
i ususally say, SHOW mommie what you have OR BYE BYE and then peanut comes :roll: max comes 98% of the time with a clap of the hands

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sessa35 said:
Count me in too!!!
Sessa loves treats! :D :lol: :lol:
Jac we love Fudge or ice cream, chips and dip, chocolate, cheddar goldfish, BEER, WINE, Juice, choc dipped strawberries, whip cream, choc chip cookie dough....Vanessa i leave anything out we shoudl include? :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts