Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppies are now 26 days old and are eating gruel. Mom cleans them, however, they are still sticky. Their hair is growing quite rapidly and I clean them with a warm, wet washcloth but see that I will soon be bathing them. Anyone have some recommendations for a gentle, safe shampoo for them?
Below is a picture of a few of them at 26 days old that shows how wooly & curly their coats are getting.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oh Judi, their coats are GORGEOUS!
They're f1b's right?
My F1s are still sleek enough that mama can keep them looking presentable thank God. LOL

I LOVE the coats on your babies though! Please keep sharing pictures with us. The're just too cute.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
There are pet shampoos specifically made for puppies. I'd try one of them. Just water would probably work to get them "sticky" off.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really would not have thought anything much about it except that when mom was with pups and I did reading, there was a list of all kinds of shampoos not to use during gestation and post-whelp. Beings these guys are still very young, all I could think was "great, one more thing that I have to worry about". Although I have a smaller Walmart 25 miles away, it is 75 miles, in 3 different directions to any decent sized city.
I will look for a puppy shampoo, but don't think I will have much luck here. Was thinking about it last night.....I think I might just head to the health food store and look for a gentle baby shampoo. I thought I read before that Johnson's BS was very detergenty and somewhat harsh. Surely the health food shop would have something gentle :?:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey, Judi, your puppies are LOVELY! so curly!

email me if you want, there are GREAT website-merchants that charge a small or NO shipping cost on an order of $49-50. You can get stuff for yourself, your dogs, or GALLONS of puppy shampoo if you want!

I love washing babies at around 4wks old in the kitchen sink, myself. I get an ounce or two of puppy shampoo (no tears) and fill a pint shaker container with warmish water, shake it up, and then put some on the puppies, and bathe them off. I wonder if their little hineys will need some soaping down too, with how curly they are, and now that they are eating real food and having real puppy poops, ya know?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
JUDI...good luck with finding the right puppy shampoo and
THOSE puppies are sooooooooooooooooo cute!!! wow!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Darling puppies!

And Judi, I was looking at your website and was pleasantly suprised to see where you are located! Mt. Shasta is my home town! We took Marley for a visit this past January and she had a ball running around for hours with our friend's golden retriever in the snow.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found an oatmeal puppy shampoo (thankyou!) that I diluted. They just needed alittle something more as they were getting alittle "sour" smelling from the gruel. Their little hineys are actually pretty clean.... "Auntie Reba" takes over alot and is getting a little pudgy as a result of it. Check-out how fast the puppies are catching up with her! (she's 6 lbs.) It's funny, she'll be cleaning one and another will come from behind and grab a nipple, she's never mean though and is actually helping mom teach them how to play. I'm sure that won't last much longer with those teeth!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh! And Hi there Ericka! Perhaps I have met you as I have been chasing down doodles in town for quite some time, since before I got Tuesday. I am constantly amazed by the colors and coats, and of course they have all been such HAPPY guys!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
they are so adorable!!
Good job finding the oatmeal shampoo.....and isn't it easier just pouring soapy water all over the puppies? I LOVE finding a shampoo that won't hurt their eyes, too, so I don't worry about that.

I'm embarrassed at how many years, and how many baths we gave trying to move that dollop of shampoo all over a pup's or a mom's body before I figured out that dilution was so handy! :roll:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh those puppies are so cute!

I actually don't live in the area anymore and my parents don't either. When we visited in Jan we stayed with some friends but didn't really go out anywhere. However, next time we plan a visit I may have to contact you so we can have a doodle romp!

P.S. You might know or at least know of my very good friend as he owns Sportsmen's Den.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts