Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Holly had diarrhea in her crate last night. Poor thing never madea sound-- I woke up at 6;30 with my daughter and the smell hit me as I opened my bedroom door. Holly rushed outside and had another squirty, watery, sort of mucus-y poop. I had to give her a bath as she had poo all over her, poor thing. She came back inside and immediately went to sleep-- wouldn't eat or drink. I did get her to chew on an ice cue but I don't know how much fluid she got into her.

Since this morning she's had several more runny stools and threw up what looked like frothy milk once. She has slept pretty much all day and has not touched her food. She took a short walk with me, about 10 minutes, and didn't seem too tored, but as soon as we got inside she collapsed on her bed. She did drink about a cup of water and hopefully some of that will stay in. There is no one at the vet's office today :( of course if she is no better I will take her in tomorrow. It is so unlike her to be this lethargic and sleepy. I'm scared.

She did drink a sip or two out of a puddle outside yesterday :shock: and yesterday we made paella for our (human) dinner, it's possible she might have eaten an oyster or some crabmeat or green pepper off the floor-- are these doggie no-nos? Any ideas? She drank water out of a pond two days ago-- could it be giardia?

I will take a stoll sample to the vet tomorrow, and try feeding her some rice and chicken broth, as I've read on here. Any advice would be helpful. Sorry to ramble on and on...I'm just so worried! Holly had Coccidia when I first got her, but she was frisky and fine and ate and drank OK, just had the diarrhea, which cleared up after a week of Albon. This is different... :(

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'd call the Emergency Vet clinic now and wouldn't wait. you slso have to be careful about dehydration

keep us posted

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We had a similar thing with Tanner a week ago.

Go with your instincts...have you taken her temperature?...a dog's normal rectal temperature is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit..

Is she drinking water still and is she able to keep it down?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is drinking water, and no poop/vomiting since about 3:00...

Unfortunately I have not been able to find any vets open near me. (I live in the middle of nowhere...) She will go in first thing tomorrow morning. Just like my kids, they always get sick on Sundays or 3 AM.

I will keep you posted...thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She seems a little better! :) We went out for a short walk, and she was frisking along chasing my daughter. She peed, no poop, then came in and drank some more water. She was also nosing around her (empty) food bowl, as she is used to having her dinner about now, looking up at me with her mournful brown eyes as if to say 'where's my food?'

Now she is fighting with the elastic doorstop-thingie in my kitchen, one of her favorite pastimes... I am cooking some rice, and will give her a little and see how she does.

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think the fact that she is wanting to play and drinking water is a good sign and of course that she is interested in eating. Let us know how she progresses.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Oh poor Holly
We went through something similiar with Denver
a couple of weeks back, minus the vomiting .............
He was on meds for 5 days and is as good as new.
Hopefull you can get to the vet soon.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sadie has been doing similar, delightful things. I'm wondering if it's puppy teething. She only threw up once but has had the other a few times :cry:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ditto for Sam. The vet has put him on a course of antibiotics and gave him an antibiotic shot in his bot bot. This has firmed up his stools but he I suspect he's still vomitted after the shot. Sam is exhibiting similar symptoms except for the lethargy. He's still a bouncy little doodle. Vet has said that if he vomits again, they'll do an x-ray of his tummy to make sure there's no obstruction.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner finished his 5 days of Flagyl and his poop is back to normal, he is eating normally and his energy level back to normal.

Hope you all have the same results. I was glad I had the xray though to rule out obstruction :wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I woke up this morning to a clean crate and a happy, hungry Doodle! :) Holly ate all the rice/yogurt mixture I gave her, drank her water, and is acting her usual frisky energetic self. Still no poop of any type, but she seems much better! :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
a few days after we first brought shaia home, she picked up some kind of parasite and had to undergo 2 rounds of antibiotics. ack. she had diarrhea/soft poop for weeks. i fed her chicken and rice and gave her probiotics for like a month. i would bring in a poop sample to your vet next time you can get one. also, try picking up some probiotics (you can get human grade from a health food store) and putting that in her food for a month. this will help repopulate her gut and help her immune system. also, regular poops! good luck.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
glad to hear your doodle is doing better but i'd still bring in a stool sample just to be on safe side.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just an update..Holly is fine! I called the vet and they said if her poops were normal and her eating and behavior were OK, there was no need to bring her in. I still have no idea what caused this...my guess is she ate something off the floor that made her sick. I didn't change her kibble or anything like that, but she does like to scrounge around the kitchen and eat whatever falls on the floor-- she is like a rocket, can hear scraps and crumbs hitting the floor and is on them before I can blink!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts