Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by reminding you all that I am not an experienced dog owner...Calvin is my first dog and I am OLD! (somewhere between 40 and 50)....We have had Madge now for several months and things are going great! They are littermates and play together well and sleep together and she is a great addidtion to the family. Well....This morning I hear my son screaming at Calvin so I go running out to find Madge on her back with Calvin on top of her. His mouth around her neck and she is crying..almost screaming! My son is yelling at him and crying that he's trying to kill her. I step in and Calvin gets off of her. After I assessed any injuries-none thankfully- I scolded them both (thinking it takes two to tango) and sperarated them for a bit.

My question is this....Do dogs fight occassionally? Is this somewhat normal? Calvin has never even so much as growled at ANYONE so I am a bit shocked to see him in this role. (Madge is much more high energy and I could see her pestering him). Should I be concerned? There are days where we are gone for several hours and they are alone together....

Help!

Leslie

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I don't know about the crying without hearing it. My two wrestle...quit roughly, alot. But they don't cry in pain, it's a odd sound and I thought they were hurting each other, but when I would break them up, back to it again. I hope someone has better input than me...I would just keep an eye on them. Usually, one dog will tell the other when enough is enough.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, I don't know if going for the throat is playing, or not! It could be just establishing dominance......though i think it sounds like it got a little aggressive.....but then I don't know. Had two setters once and they got along fine. If enough was enough, there was a quick snap and growl and it was over.....the offender getting the message quickly.

Someone else may have a better idea how serious this is.....I think should it happen again and you are there....a correction is needed.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i'd keep an eye on them and also what were they doing before this erupted?

Dogs and cats too sometimes establish dominancy other than who;s boss. it could be over various things. But when one cries i'd stay alerted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts