Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Well, it has been months since I've posted but I've been reading! Remember when Angel took to the potty bells? Well, it seems like that was it! She hasn't been doing it since and not letting me know any other way when it's time to go out. I am still watching her like a hawk and taking her out regularly to make sure that there aren't any accidents. I can't trust her! She will go find a place in the house to go if I don't catch her (mostly #2). Peeing is rare but I watch her VERY closely to avoid that mess.

She is now almost 7 mos. old and I thought that it should be way easier by now. She would never go potty in her crate and I take her out to the same spot in the yard and give her the potty command. She goes when she's out AND when she is not!

Is this normal? How old will she be before I can trust her? Any tricks to make it happen faster? Others I have talked to said it could take up to a year before she is trustworthy! HELP! How long did it take your doodle?

Nicole

I'll post an updated pic when I remember how...it has been so long, I forget!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The trick for Tanner was to treat. I hung a treat bag by the door (up high) and every time Tanner went potty he got a treat (Zukes tiny chicken or salmon). He never went in the house after that. He would run out, pee or poop and run back knowing he would get his treat. He learned very quickly to scratch on the door.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great advice! I started that tonight. Of course that makes sense...treats ALWAYS get you what you want faster!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Good luck, hopefully the treats will do the trick for you
- we were fortunate with Annabelle, she was potty trained prob about 3-4 weeks after we got her - she still does the nervous peeing sometimes though, that is very frustrating

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great about Annabelle! I am worried about Angel. She's nearly 7 mos. old now and I don't remember it taking nearly this long with my last dog.

How old were the rest of your doodles? Should I be worried that this is going to be a life-long problem? :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much, Vanessa! Your experience with Mija makes me feel a LOT better. Baby gates are impossible in my house b/c of the open floor plan (we don't really have any walls)! The tethering is a FABULOUS idea! I feel bad b/c she is spending more time in her crate than I want her too just b/c I can't watch her all the time. My kids, the laundry, etc. keep me from being able to give her 100% of my watchful eye.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver was easy to potty train
and done in 3 to 4 weeks.
But we took him outside all the time
If he was awake out he went, if he looked at us funny
out he went. If the cats looked at him then looked at us
outside he went. Bahahahaha!!!
You get the idea in the beginning it felt like every
half hour we took him out and during the night
he went out every two hours.
All dogs are different so do not worry it will happen.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
985 Posts
annieG said:
The trick for Tanner was to treat. I hung a treat bag by the door (up high) and every time Tanner went potty he got a treat (Zukes tiny chicken or salmon). He never went in the house after that. He would run out, pee or poop and run back knowing he would get his treat. He learned very quickly to scratch on the door.
Annie, do you still treat for performing or were you able to phase it out once he got the idea? Chouette doesn't seem to get the idea of the bells; it's been a couple of weeks already. She doesn't have bowel movements in the house but occasionally when other people are watching her - or not watching her - she'll piddle. Maybe once a week. I start thinking she's got it figured out and then whoops!

Leslie

·
Registered
985 Posts
Vanessa, that's what the trainer says - she'll get it, probably sooner than later.

We had her brush the bells with her nose while we said, "Outside," and "Go piddle," which is the trigger we use for her. Several times she brushed against the bells accidentally and we said, "Outside? Go piddle?" and took her out, but she hasn't seemed to put two and two together. She's funny; we taught her to "find it" making her sit and stay and then hiding her toy cloth purse that she brought with her from Maureen's, and she was great with it. But now she gets confused if we use a different toy. Seems to think "Find it!" has to involve that purse! Maybe she's too young to generalize much? Who knows....

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
NICOLE hang in there honey...peanut would go pee outside then come in play with max and within 15min start to pee in the house yet she could hold it all night long. it took her till she was 5mos old to stop peeing.
I also used nature's miracle and later on URINE STOP which did eliminate odors.

Max is now 13mos old and peanut 8mos old ...both doodles now bark and or use their paws on my legs or lap to tell me it's time. :D they'll act ansty like they can't sit still but don't want to play

Each dog is different . Also peanut is a 2 pee and 2 poop many times :roll: which is part of the reason i walked and walked and walked her. max never did anything before 12mos old besides 'the stare" at you hahhahahhaaaaaaaaa

If i miss their clue we can have the rare accident....also mine usually have to poop within 15min of eating a meal or after a long hard doodle run inside or outside the house.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I wish I had good advise, but Jonah still leaves me little presents daily when I get home from being somewhere. He can poop before I leave, and even if I'm only gone for a few hours.....there's a little gift of poo for me! Crating is out of the question. I'm thinking of getting a whiz dog for him!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
With Annabelle we also took her out constantly the first 3 weeks or so we had her if she woke up - out she went and about every 1/2 hr she went out if she was awake - we had to caryy her downstairs - access to outside is a full flight of stairs,by about 3-4 wks she was doing the stairs herself - we have a doggie door from kitchen to porch and porch to deck whenever we came in we made her use them.

One nite at about 4 wks home (14 wks old) we are dining room and AB jumps up runs thru her doggie doors and flys down the stairs - we jump up after her wondering "what the H*ll" is she doing - there she is in the yard POTTYING ! OMG she got sooo much praise, what a proud moment :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
What an inspirational story, Mary! I'll just BET you were proud. It's so interesting to hear about all the variations in learning to be housetrained. And Gene, how come crating is out of the question? What about confining him to a small room like a bathroom - after removing the toilet paper, of course!

Leslie

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jonah would be.....how do I put it.....Have you read Marley and me? :wink: He still suffers from separation anxiety to a point, and it's made worse with containment. Since he's gotten freedom over most of the house for the past 7mos, he's been a much calmer dog. It's never a lot,always in one of two places, so it's a small price to pay for his happiness. I know GROSS! :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
No..Tanner got treats for performing...probably for 3 months...then only every other time...then every 5th time, then none. By that time he could hold it a long time and when he went out he usually was distracted by something else before coming inside...forgot about wanting the treat.

If you have an open floor plan, I find that 10 panel Xpens work well. I just section off either where I want Tanner to go or where I don't want him to go. We keep 2 in the house at all times and move them around as needed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
New potty training question:
When we're downstairs, Bigsby (6 mos. old) goes to the back door like an angel, just sits there until we notice him and let him out. He hasn't had an accident downstairs in weeks. But, when I'm upstairs with him, if he gets out of my sight, he'll go into the hallway or another room and piddle. I have to keep him in the room with me at all times - he can't be trusted upstairs. My theory is that he won't go downstairs without me, even if my husband is downstairs, and he doesn't have a way to tell me he needs to go outside when we're upstairs. So, anyone else with this problem? I'm trying to solve it by taking him outside before we even go upstairs, then keeping him in the room with me the whole time. But, I, too, wonder how long I'll have to do this!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Does he lose site of you upstairs ? maybe he gets nervous because he cant see you, so he pees, strange that he will do tht upstairs but not downstairs.
Other than not letting him upstairs at all, I'd say take him out more often when he is upstairs, when you get outside tell him to potty then praise and go back in :?:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DoodleLeeDoo...I am with you! Angel does that! She is fine as long as I am in sight but also like to go upstais to do her thing when I turn my back or she can sneak away! It's really frustrating b/c she has been sleeping through the night since night 4! She can now hold it for 10 hours at night and would never even dream of messing her crate!

AnnieG...Great idea about the Xpen...I found my pen that I had for my twins when they were little and took it apart to block the 2 doorways in the kitchen and am going to buy another panel to block yet a 3rd doorway to the kitchen. I'll be able to keep her in the kitchen, laundry room (food/water) and the potty door where the bells are. She has been doing well so far today.

Gene...I'd rather clean up poop than try to get pee out of carpet! So, there is an upside to your "gifts"!

Keep the good advice coming! We can use all the help we can get.

Smart Mommy of Max and Peanut...thanks... you made me feel better. I started using Nature's Miracle. I remember that from one of your other posts and bought it a few weeks ago!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, Nature's Miracle is great. I also bought some "Urine Be Gone" at Target. It comes with a black light where you can tell if you have gotten all the stain out. Very handy!

I really think it's not that Bigsby is nervous - I honestly think he just doesn't have a way to tell me "hey, I need to go outside now" when we're not downstairs. Downstairs, the door is nearby and he can just go wait there. We will eventually see him (mainly because any time he is out of my sight for more than a couple of minutes, I am going to see what he's doing :) I think I'll just need to keep doors shut, keep him WITH ME upstairs, and hope he outgrows it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts