Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! Any idea what this is?
Bailey has a green, slimy mucous discharge when she pees. The discharge is in her pee, not her poop.

She was spayed one month ago.

Any idea what this might be? This just started tonight and the discharge was present when she peed two times.

We made an appointment with her vet for tomorrow AM, but are very curious and concerned as to what this may be.

If you have any clue, please respond ASAP.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
What did the vet think? Did you tell him/her specifics? Maybe they'd want to see her sooner than tomorrow AM....

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
zman...call the vet again or rahter is Bailey straining or in any discomfort? as it sounds like a possible infection. Did you research the internet or articles?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ellabee said:
What did the vet think? Did you tell him/her specifics? Maybe they'd want to see her sooner than tomorrow AM....
Could only talk to the receptionist as they were closed or closing. I'm probably lucky they even answered the phone.

I did explain the specifics, but she just set me up with an appointment for tomorrow AM.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
No - don't speak to a receptionist. Call again and ask to speak to whomever is on call and talk to a VET.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MaxandMe said:
zman...call the vet again or rahter is Bailey straining or in any discomfort? as it sounds like a possible infection. Did you research the internet or articles?
She seems fine and doesn't seem to be straining.

I've been looking all over internet, but haven't found much definitive. Most discharge info I've found seem to be related to dogs that haven't been spayed, or to pregnant dogs - and neither of those apply.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ellabee said:
No - don't speak to a receptionist. Call again and ask to speak to whomever is on call and talk to a VET.
Dam - wished I'd have done that the first time. I just tried to call again and of course, nobody is there.

Only other choice is an Emergency Animal Hospital which i've heard is very expensive. If it's not critical and will likely just be treated with some antibiotics, then I'd rather wait til 9:30 am appointment.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Zman...if Bailey is acting fine then maybe leave a message? i don't know what to tell you as i am not there.

but if you have a bad gut feeling or Bailey isn't acting right then go to ER , if not wait till the morning?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found lots of info on Pyometra (infection of the uterus) but she's been spayed.

I guess I'm just gonna keep an eye on her til AM unless her symptoms or activity levels change.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Have you tried just calling the emergency vet. Ours will take calls and that doesn't cost anything and can give you peace of mind. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Has she eaten anything different than normal in the last day or so? None of the foods that were just recently placed on the recal list? No new bones or treats?

Heather

G

·
Bella had this...an infection...treated with antibiotics...AND it was post spay...I think she can wait til tomorrow.
It was actually a vaginal infection, but it sure did look like it was a discharge in her urine...and...
It's not a big deal, don't worry, it can wait.
It did scare the bejeeebies out of me though :lol: .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update -
Turns out that Bailey has Vaginitis/Vaginal Infection. He trimmed the hair around her vulva and said that she may be more suceptible to infections because of its shape. Gave some ointment to be put on the 'affected area' :oops: and some antibiotic pills.

Hopefully this will clear it up and we'll just have to make sure she is trimmed very close 'down there'. Doesn't sound like much fun - but that ain't exactly an area we inspected when picking out our puppy.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i am so happy to hear an update and at least it can be treated with antibiotics

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out. I can't believe you didn't examine that before buying your puppy! :wink:
Funny story, Miko is my first female dog and the first time I bathed her, I thought she had a tumor....duh! :oops:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gene said:
Glad to hear you got it figured out. I can't believe you didn't examine that before buying your puppy! :wink:
Funny story, Miko is my first female dog and the first time I bathed her, I thought she had a tumor....duh! :oops:
Well, the ointment only needs to be 'applied' for 10 days. Hopefully, everything will then be cleared up. Unfortunately, I didn't like the sound of "she will be prone to infections there". :(

Could be worse, I have to hold her down and wife has the vulva ointment duties. I didn't even know that dogs had vulvas. :shock:
I don't need her (the dog) following me around all lovestruck afterwards either.

I did volunteer to give the pills to the dog. I was getting better at that the last time we had pills to give her.

I do need to read up on that again. Do dog's have a gag reflex (like people) if you get your finger or pill too far down their throat? There seems to be a fine line between far enough back to make her swallow it and not far enough and she just spits it out.

Oh yeah..and this trip was $160. Reminds me...I need to look into Dog Health Insurance. Any ideas? I think I'm gonna do a Search in here (and elsewhere on internet).

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Zman, that was too funny! Lovestruck!

Jonah was just on antibiotics, and I was doing the thumb down the throat, but he was clamping down on it, so I stopped. I put it in a spoon of yogurt and put it in the middle of his food. Urp, slurp, all gone! I was pleasantly surprised and my thumb is very happy!! :wink:

G

·
Bella never had it again. We did not have to do the ointment, just the antibiotics :D
Interesting article by a vet on a possible cause...urine crystals.... with 'give extra water' as a solution.
http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclu ... nitis.html

Some excerpts:
...The so called inverted vulva is usually not a problem. Yes, zillions of bitches have a vulva that is surrounded by a fold of skin. Very seldom is this condition a problem unless basic hygiene is ignored by the owner. If your puppy is exhibiting signs of cystitis or vaginitis, and the area of skin around the vulva and vulvar fold is irritated, pay attention to the situation and clean inside this fold of skin. It is dead simple to do this - just pull on the hair of the vulva to bring it down and straighten out the fold. Then gently wash, rinse and dry the area, and apply a coating of bag balm or Desitin on the skin of the vulva and in and around the fold, to prevent further urine scalding. Way easier than surgery!!! Of the zillions of bitches with this conformation of the vulva, 99.9% have no problem. It is hygiene, not the conformation itself, that is responsible for the irritation and skin inflammation.

G

·
And a really interesting article. With pictures :oops: :lol: Good news it says wipe her with a baby wipe after she goes and she should be fine. I bet just wiping her before bedtime would do the trick. And $160 seems incredibly excessive. :evil: Did he run labwork? What part of the country are you located? http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html
Puppies who get frequent puppy vaginitis or bladder infections and have an "Innie" vulva should NOT be spayed before their first heat. To do so is to sentence this pup to frequent vaginitis or bladder infections throughout its lifetime.

In dogs with vulval involution (medical name for an "Innie"), there might be pooling of the urine in the folds of the skin which provides an excellent environment for bacterial growth. This location provides recurrent opportunity for reinfection of the urethra and the bladder even after antibiotic therapy has been administered. Additionally, because some bitches with this condition develop inflammation of the vulva, which will result in pain upon urination, these bitches will typically stop urine flow in mid-stream and have a tendency towards retaining more urine in the bladder than what is normal. Retained urine in the urethra and bladder also increases risk for bacterial overgrowth. Until the primary condition (the vulval involution) resolves or is treated, it can be expected that the bitch will continue to be at risk for recurrent UTIs. In the interim, keeping the area clean between urinations (yes, that does mean gently wiping the area clean with baby wipes after every time she goes "potty") and treating any existing inflammation (warm compresses applied to the area 3-4 times per day) may discourage bacterial growth and reduce risks of recurrence. In some individuals where the risk is high for recurrence after initial treatment or in cases of low-grade persistant infection, your vet may prescribe a maintenance (long term, low dose) antibiotic to control the infection.

When a female goes into season that vulva gets larger and kinda pops out of those skin folds. That's what you want to happen with those little girls with "Innies". Once they're out of season (heat), wait 4 weeks afterwards and have them spayed.

For those bitches whose condition may not resolve with coming into season or who are spayed prior to their first "heat" and have recurrent UTIs, a procedure known as vulvoplasty is often performed to correct the anatomical defect and prevent recurrent UTIs.

In summary, if you have a female puppy who has a recessed or "Innie" vulva, as determined by veterinary examination, please wait for that puppy to have 1 season before you spay her. By doing so, you may keep her from having reoccuring UTI's throughout her lifetime.***(see note below)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts