Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 Labradoodles. They are brothers and 18 months old.

By 9/10 motnhs they were relaibly housetrained.

We dont allow our dogs upstairs and have trained them into not going upstairs. Pepper, the more dominant of the twins, often tries to creep up the stairs after us but immediatly retreats when sternly told "Down!". We have never actually caught him all the way upstairs but occainsionally catch him in the half-way-up landing.

Recently, Pepper has started to Poop in our bedroom which is upsatirs and it seems to be happening more often. Clearly he is going up there when we are not looking or are out.

It first happened about 6 weeks ago when I went away on business for a week. My wife was working in our downstairs office and Pepper snuck upstairs to do his dirty business. My wife saw him come down the stairs....

The second time it happened. I dropped both dogs off in the morning at a local kennel for a doggy day care treat. Neither had been before, but the place came recomended and the dogs were happily playing when I left them there. My wife picked up the dogs and brought them home in the afternoon. By the time, I got home from work later in the afternoon, one of the dogs had pooped in our bedroom. We assume it was Pepper but he has still not confessed!

It has now happened 5 times in the last week. We started closing the door to our bedroom and found poop in each of our unused guest bedrooms instead.

We are not entirely sure if he is doing it when we are in or out or when it is just one of us who is out.

During the day, we typically leave the side door open and the dogs have full access to our large yard which they regulalrly enjoy. They do their 1's and 2's in the yard and we pick it up every day or two.

Please let me know what is causing him to do this and how I can train him not to do it. I don' :evil: t want to just put a gate on the stairs, I want to train him in what is acceptable and unacceptable behaviour.

·
Registered
24 Posts
One thought is that you could try booby-trapping all the doors upstairs (bedroom, guestroom, etc.) Leave the doors partially open, and put empty plastic bottles with a few pennies or something similar on the top of the door so that when he touches the door they'll come raining down on him and make a loud noise. That might discourage him from entering your room at all, let alone pooping in there.

Also, you might have to return for a while to whatever you did when you were first housetraining the dogs. Was he crated? Confined to one small area? Did you go out with them and praise them when they eliminated? It's been a decade since I housetrained a puppy, so I'm out of practice, but it sounds like Pepper might need a refresher course :).

I'm sure the others here will have great suggestions, and I hope you can find something that will work for you. Good luck :)

S.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I had this happen in past when we had Beau
I PUT a BIG WOODEN FOLDING Chair leaning on Staircase
so IF a doodle went near it , it would fall, come crashing down
several stairs, hit the landing then the tile floor.
Scared the beejeebers out of them hahahhaaaaa

(If not do same by the door, lean something that will fall if touched
chair with pie pans etc ....just make sure it will make loud'/startling sound)

result: after 3 weeks, i could take away the chair and unless invited
they would NOT go up the stairs, and when they do NO ONE Poops up there

NOTE: i used NATURE'S MIRACLE ORANGE OXY-POWER (orange bottle)
for some reason this stuff works better on carpeting
and DOES eliminate odors from rugs.

My doodles can snif all they want but no one goes anymore for past 5months :D
( max last year has severe digestive issues and just about ruined my carpeting upstairs. NOW i 've worked on all areas again and stains are out too )

·
Registered
260 Posts
if your dogs have never spent time upstairs, their learning of the "don't eliminate in the house" rule may only apply to the areas where they spend time, and not generalize to the rest of the house. you did not say how big your dogs are -- this kind of issue is actually very common with smaller dogs, who can retreat to a far corner of the house where they don't spend much time to "do their business" and still feel like they've left the area of their "den". i'm not sure why they would decide to poop upstairs rather than in the yard -- but i'd probably give the entire upstairs a good once-over to make sure they're not peeing up there too. i would not consider them to be housebroken at this point, since they're eliminating in the house repeatedly.

i guess what i would do is go back to basics -- keep a close eye on them ALL the time, crate them when you're out, and watch their behavior in the yard to try to find out why they're choosing the upstairs over the yard. perhaps there was an instance where one of them *really* had to go, and the side door wasn't open, so the first pooping incident occurred -- and a pattern was started.

-em

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
When we had cats, one of them starting eliminating wherever she felt like going. We could not always tell where and had to sniff around....GROSS!!

A neighbor recommended we get a "black light" as it will show the urine stains as a glowing blue area. We got one, and it really helped us find it. Just wait until night time and then walk around with the light. We were SHOCKED at all the places she had gone.

Another neighbor of ours put in an invisible fence (PLEASE do not start a debate on this. I am just relaying a story here) and they had the fence run under the stairway in their house.

So, the dogs stay downstairs and won't go up. She kept their collars on for the first few months to train them but now can take off their fence collars in the house and they don't even bother trying to go upstairs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
emilee said:
if your dogs have never spent time upstairs, their learning of the "don't eliminate in the house" rule may only apply to the areas where they spend time, and not generalize to the rest of the house. you did not say how big your dogs are -- this kind of issue is actually very common with smaller dogs, who can retreat to a far corner of the house where they don't spend much time to "do their business" and still feel like they've left the area of their "den". i'm not sure why they would decide to poop upstairs rather than in the yard -- but i'd probably give the entire upstairs a good once-over to make sure they're not peeing up there too. i would not consider them to be housebroken at this point, since they're eliminating in the house repeatedly.

i guess what i would do is go back to basics -- keep a close eye on them ALL the time, crate them when you're out, and watch their behavior in the yard to try to find out why they're choosing the upstairs over the yard. perhaps there was an instance where one of them *really* had to go, and the side door wasn't open, so the first pooping incident occurred -- and a pattern was started.

-em
Emily is absolutely right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They do not consider upstairs as part of the house..........
So as she says, back to basics and were there any other animals living
in this house before you that may have eliminated in these areas?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm with the others,in that the pups don't think of the upstairs as part of the living space,because well they don't live there.

I would have some play time up there so that they associate that place as part of the den. Also make sure that there are no health issues that may have contributed to the change in potty habits.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
We put a lid to a big storage box across one step leaning on the other. it works really well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts