Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..we are getting our puppy later wednesday night..I had planned on introducing her to our 7 year old golden in thepark..or street(neutral territory) but now she flying in later at night..what should I do....our golden is loving but isnt around puppies..

thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a English Bulldog and he was never really good with other dogs but amazingly he is bosom buddies with my GoldenDoodle. I wanted to do the same thing (meet in a neutral area) but the timing was wrong also. I doubt the doodle will be a problem, but I can suggest gving you retriever lots of love while intorducing both and if he is good at the park and socialized well, then I don;t think you will have much of an issue. I do feed in seperate areas just in case. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
One of the best ways is to let them smell each other and that means they usually will smell each others hind ends :roll: I know sounds gross but that is what they do. So let them do that as embarrasing as it is don't stop them from doing it. Since your older dog isn't crazy about puppies I would take it slow also, most older dogs will be okay in time they just have to let the puppy know who is boss. But I would supervise them carefully just in case the adult gets a little to sassy.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok the optimal way of introducing your new doodle puppy and your golden is to try to keep them separated for 2 days or 3 if possible. What i mean is let the puppy out and explore your house while under a careful eye. Do this maybe when your golden is out being walked. When your golden is home, crate your puppy to take a nap.
What happens is your golden will smell a new scent( doodle puppy) in the house. Then when you introduce them the golden associates the new scent when he smells/meets the new puppy.

Most older dogs do accept puppies OR they are patient with little puppies as they sense thier youngness. Heck, i had a cat once that beat up every dog in our town including a newfoundland hahhaaha but she never swatted our puppies till they got to be around 7mos old and she hated dogs!
Goldens are known for their great temperaments as doodles are too. Your golden should be watched with your new puppy but at the same time will also let the puppy know when enough is enough possibly with just a lip curl and low growl just as a mother does with her litter.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We have never had a problem introducing a puppy into our "pack". Dogs tend to accept puppies, but don't leave them alone together until it is firmly set that they accept each other...you never know.
(We've never done anything special to introduce them...just put them down and let the butt sniffing begin!)
This article might help:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2465

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for all the help...

gracielou..my dog hasnt really been around puppies..he actually might love them Im not sure..he does really well with other dogs he meets..

maxandme..great advice..but my house is kind of open so in order to keep them separated I would have to keep the puppy enclosed in probably one of the bedrooms upstairs..our golden pretty much has free reign of the house..

I plan on crating the pup in the family room..and maybe let them meet each other then sleep downstairs with the pup the first night..I will have my golden sleep upstairs..like he usually does...hopefully everthing will be ok

any other advice will be great

val

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When I got Miko from a rescue through pet finders, I took Jonah when we picked her up. He sniffed her, but was more interested in the 6 cats they had. The 3 of us got acquainted in the back of my cousins van on the 1 1/2 trip home. They get along like a house afire now. Only took 3 hours. Guess I was very fortunate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts