Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this board - I'm really hoping you can help me. We are looking to get a Labradoodle for our family. I was all set on the chocolate Labradoodle, but since then have had five or six different people tell me to watch out for 'chocolates' because they are more prone to aggression/hyper/strong headed. Something about them being a recessive gene, etc.

I do not know if any of this is true, I hoping some of you can shed some light for me.

Also, any major differences in temperment between boy vs. girl Labradoodle?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Heather

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
oh my goodness!!!
I LOVE our chocolate puppies....and no, I have NOT seen a variation in energy, based on color!

The fact is that training and genetics DO play a part in all puppies. I would ask about the Lab's background in a pup... and the Poodle's. In our F1b puppies the loving nature of the Lab comes thru in our Keenan (f1 stud) but he is an intact male and NOT an "exhuberant" chocolate male, but just a nice boy.

And our Sheba has had chocolate puppies in several litters and NONE are wild, or have more energy than their black or silver littermates.

15 yrs ago, this was the thinking about chocolate Labs, but even that has dissipated considerably, as Labs have been bred more and more, and more chocolates are born from black parents carrying the recessive gene. Right now, poodle breeders will sometimes scare people off of red poodles, but there are exceptions there, as well.

FIELD TRIAL CHAMPION-Labs are very high-energy, by nature, and for a good reason. That isn't color-based, but that is a necessary baseline for the reason those Labs are bred, so yes, there are some Labs that are high-energy.

Am I helping at all? If you email me I would be glad to talk with you further, privately.

Bottom line is, talk to your breeder, or several breeders, and see if you can learn more about the parents of the puppy you are considering. And try to get a feel for finding a breeder you can trust, and then share your concerns about the generalizations you have heard.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Heather 2 and Welcome to Doodleland

Denver is a chocolate labradoodle and you will not find
a more sweeter puppy than him. He is not aggresive in anyway and he lives with nine cats. I do not think colour comes into it but I am not a breeder or researcher and can only tell you from my experience with my chocolate puppy. As far as strong headed, I can see that in any breed and without proper training you will have your hands full with any dog.
My 2 cents, chocolates are great and no different than black, silver cream etc. :lol: :lol: Boys vs girls you can probably get arguments for both that pretty much even out. here is a picture of my chocolate with one of "his cats".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome Heather !!!--- I have two chocolate doodles---Lizzie and Louie--they are wonderful !!! They are Siblings, but totally different from each other---which keeps life interesting. But they both have wonderful temperments---I wouldn't change them for anything ! They are smart, sweet, and funny. Louie is Mr Mellow, and just goes with the flow in our busy household. Lizzie is more dominate, and requires more attention, but really is a sweet girl. They are not the least bit agressive. We really got lucky, because they came to us as two year olds. They are great with kids, adults, strangers and other dogs. I have never heard of any issues with chocolates as you mentioned---but as you can see my experience has been great---I would recommend a chocolate doodle anyday. Kathy, Lizzie and Louie

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
while I'm typing....... :wink:

I have girls, since I'm a breeder....my boys live alone, in guardian homes and that works GREAT, by the way!

But with proper training, most Doodle-lovers will tell you that a neutered male and spayed female are really not very different, since both have had their gender-related hormones "snipped" - so to speak. :wink:

So there isn't really a reason, genetically, to have a preference. Some people do have a preference, but in my experience it is usually based on something like whatever they grew up with.

I would recommend that you consider finding a breeder who really loves on, and spends time with their puppies, and generally you will find an excellent puppy, both boys and girls.

hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Heather!

My Cinnamon is a product of a chocolate lab female and a silver poodle dad and she mostly a pretty red-brown color (hence "Cinnamon"). I guess you could call her chocolate, or maybe a red head, but she is the sweetest dog I think I've had, and we've had a lot of different kinds over the years. She is not in the least aggressive, but she is a little stubborn, but so am I, so I guess she fits!

I've not had a lab or poodle before, but I think I would get another doodle over any other kind of dog. They have such fun personalities!

·
Registered
558 Posts
We have never heard of that either, we haven't had a chocolate one yet but would love to add one to our home. We have found all Labradoodles to be fun loving and wonderful with kids, and all a little stubborn at times..lol..(cause they know they are so cute and can get away with it). The chocolate ones melt in your heart not in your hands.. :lol:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi Heather,

I would question the background on the lab side. The breeder I bought from was going to have puppies from two different F1 females. One of the females had a mom that was 100% field lab. The other female had a mom that was 75% show breeding on the lab side. You could really tell a huge difference in the personality and energy level between these dogs. Since we were looking for a family dog and have young children we were steered towards the puppies that had more show in the background. We have a very laid back puppy.

As for male vs female. I read a lot on the subject. I don't know if any of this is realy true:

A female will tend to become more attached to one member of the family (the Alpha member)

A female is easier to train

Males will tend not to attach so strongly to one family member.

I really think personality plays a bigger role than gender - we went with a male.

Heather

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have a Male 9mos labradoodle and a almost 4mo old Female goldendoodle

until now i always had Male dogs and female cats.

I will say in this house, Max has bonded more to me and now dave versus peanut (she) has bonded to everyone from day 1.
Max is so laid back and sweet no matter if he's tired, not feeling well and so on. Peanut is sweet as pie unless she's tired, then she can get a bit "bitchy" hahahhaa

to me male vs female not much difference with doodles as both have great temperaments.

I would say it isn't male versus female rather its more the TEMPERAMENT of the doodle. also chocolates? maybe the person was referring to chocolate labs as they can be more protective over goldens, labradoor and yellow labs. Otherwise color plays NO IMPORTANCE.
the PARENTS TEMPERAMENT is what is important

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have a 6 month sold chocolate/apricot girl labradoodle. She's perfect! She has the most perfect temperment and she's just so sweet and gentle. She loves everyone in the house. She's been really easy for us to train so far. But we paid to have her mostly trained by the time she came home to us because we have 3 small children and we though it would be easier that way.

Someone who works at our local pet store said something to me about brown and red dogs being difficult to deal with. I don't think it's true.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
browns in Labs, and reds in poodles DO have a reputation for being a little more unbalanced. And some of that HAS been warranted, because when a breeder is breeding for a recessive color, they get all the other "weaknesses" in the gene pool that that dog also posesses. It's a big, important reason to think carefully about how important a color is!

I love chocolates and I do choos chocolate males, or males carrying chocolate because of it! BUT I have a (genetically sound) black female that I'm using, and so that automatically balances out any questionable traits. AND in Labs, there has been a huge improvement in the brown gene pool, so to speak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

You guys are all so wonderful. I really appreciate you all taking time to respond to my post. You have all made me feel so much better!! Whew!!

Since we are on the topic, do you know any good, reputable breeders in Michigan??

Thanks again - you guys are wonderful!!

Heather

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey, Heather, how about if you email me?

Also....we have puppies coming in 2wks and I would be GLAD to work out a delivery possibly...my mom would drive for miles to see me, if we could work it out. (she's a good mom) :wink:

when you email tell me where you are....I've been from Monroe to Houghton/Hancock, and lots of places in between! :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Heather I am just getting to this post...welcome to the forum!
I don't know about ALL chocolate dogs, but my chocolate Poodle is the most gentle, kind and loving dog I have ever seen in my life!
We bred him to a similarly gentle, sweet chocolate Lab from Oregon (twice) and their puppies are phenomonal!
I think, as will all dogs, you MUST know the parents...and further down the pedigree line too. Color, in my opinion, has nothing to do with it. Genetics does...it may be that some of these chocolate dogs came from bad-tempered breeding stock! You find a breeder who selects breeding stock on temperament, intelligence and health, in addition to color, and you have a winner!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Heather--where are you in Michigan ? We are from Michigan too. South of the Grand Rapids, Holland area---Kathy, Lizzie and Louie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts