Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend adopted Sam's sister and has had Shelly about 30 hrs now. He lives in a neighborhood and has been letting her out without a leash and no fence. He says that she hasnt run off and its because she is smart and knows her home. I told him its because she is still scared and not comfortable. It scares me cause I dont want her to get run over. Shelly is 15 weeks old. I would like yalls opinions and then I will make him read this post. Please help.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Oo I'm a worry mom, there is no way I'd let a 15 week old puppy out without a leash or fence, it takes a lot of training to get a dog to stay in it's yard and some dogs Never learn, but a puppy, they are fast and can be in the road or far away in a heart beat

I pray they decide to keep Shelly on a leash or get her a fenced in area, even well trained dogs can take off if they see a critter or interesting person or object and pups can be hard to catch, I've had friends lose their dog to a car because they thought they wouldnt leave the yard :cry:

JMHO

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I would NOT do that. I do have friends that have run kennels and--although they LOVE their dogs DEARLY--they seem much more . . . confident? . . . and allow their dogs unrestricted freedom. Hmmmm . . . I would worry myself to death if Dakota were out of my eyesight . . .

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OMG i didn't let Max off leash till he was 10mos old and I always had another person like DAVE or my son with me when i did.

why not ask your friend to buy a retractable leash for now that is the 25ft length?
let us know how it goes

·
Registered
968 Posts
You're right to worry, John. Even though your friend probably means well and wants to let the puppy have space to run around, it just isn't safe (for puppies or dogs of any age). In a lot of communities its also against the law to let your dog in the yard unsupervised when there is no fencing/methods of containment. I did a quick yahoo search and this is an example of one community's law:

http://www.franklincountyohio.gov/commi ... e_laws.cfm

Confining Your Dog
(Ohio Revised Code Section 955.22C)

All dogs regardless of age must be kept confined on the premises of the owner, keeper or harborer at all times. Acceptable methods of confinement include a fence, a tethering device, a dog pen, inside a house or garage, or under adequate supervision. If you are walking your dog off of your property, you must maintain reasonable control over your dog so that it doesn't run away (the best way to do this is to keep the dog on a leash). The maximum penalties for violations of this section are a $150 fine on the first offense, and a $250 fine and 30 days imprisonment for subsequent offenses.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
John you are so right to be concerned! Not only is illegal in many areas to allow dogs to run at large, it is also incredibly dangerous and irresponsible! A 15 week old puppy would hardly have the "street smarts" to avoid running in front of a car (it only takes one!) I would NEVER let even a grown dog run loose - not only could they be hit by a car, but a dog like a labradoodle could be an easy target for a thief! I would be worried sick if I thought Tyke was wondering around our neigborhood - she doesn't even go out in our fenced in yard alone! I hate to come down so hard on your friend, but I think he needs to start using some common sense. I would worry about someone's ability to care for a puppy if these are the kind of decisions he makes.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We didn't get a fence until Dexter was 4 months old...so we had him for 2 mos w/o a fence. We would let him run (leash on, but we would drop the leash) when we were both outside to closely supervise him. He was fine until one day at 3.5 months when he ran out front and across the street to say hi to our neighbor. After that we never dropped the leash until we had our fence up. Our street has barely any traffic, but still - not worth the risk. At 4-5 months, the puppy will start to become more independent and I think he's taking a big risk.

·
Registered
398 Posts
So this is the equivalent of letting a two year old outside by himself. The child may stay close to the house or maybe not. :roll:

Everyone has stated the obvious, injury due to motor vehicles or theft of the puppy. Then there's eating foreign substances like Antifreeze. Or maybe checking out a neighbors young child and biting cause we all know puppies like to chew. :shock:

How about if another dog or animal wanders into your yard and attacks the puppy. :cry:

The point is the puppy is defenseless at 15 weeks and until you train it what to do and to follow your lead, you have a very unsafe situation and the odds are not in your puppies favor.

My sister-in-law lives in a nice community in FL. She walks her dogs every morning and night around her development. One of her neighbors was so upset that she had the nerve to walk the dogs past his home on the sidewalk. Her would yell at her and throw things at the dog. While she was walking the dogs on their leashes. :shock: Just imagine what might have happened if the dogs were running free on his property. :evil:

Puppies are work,but if you spend the time with them now you'll have a terrific dog.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Wasn't this puppy free to them?
That's the problem I have with freebie's.....people don't realize this precious gift given to them and financially feel they have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Some people should not have dogs! :evil:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shelly is in a good home. Her owner is a good guy and has a loving family with a great wife a 9 yr old and a 3 yr old. He does not let her just run wild, he is supervising from the door or the window the whole time. I am trying to tell heim what I think but he says he has owned dogs and can handle this. So we will watch and learn. Thanks for all your replies.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I hope Shelly is safe - supervising from the door or window doesnt get it if the pup sees someothing/someone and decides to take off, she will be gone before they are out the door :cry:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take it easy wit these overly harsh replies. I asked for advice not stupid mean harsh remarks. I did not put this puppy in a bad home. He is just trying to train the dog where its home is from the start. I think tey will have a fence soon. If you do not want to give helpful advice please stay off this post.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am trying to tell heim what I think but he says he has owned dogs and can handle this. :roll:

Sounds like you should take your own advice and not get involved. It's a losing situation...m

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
cracker9ball said:
Take it easy wit these overly harsh replies. I asked for advice not stupid mean harsh remarks. I did not put this puppy in a bad home. He is just trying to train the dog where its home is from the start. I think tey will have a fence soon. If you do not want to give helpful advice please stay off this post.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Slow down.......................John
When you put a post up like this you are going to get people
giving you their first gut reaction..............no reason to be now telling
off the same people you asked for help..
Anyone who would "supervise a puppy from a window " and is according
to you not going to take any advise anyway ,as they say they have had dogs and know what they are doing is going to receive negative comments.

·
Registered
398 Posts
John,
I know that you would not deliberately put a dog in harm's way.

Sometimes folks get a bit riled up at the thought of any animal being put in harms way. I hope everyone here knows you are doing the best you can.

Some would have thought that I was cruel for having my dogs on a tie out for most of the time. But I didn't know I was doing anything wrong.
Your neighbor feels the same way.

In one of my other posts, I told the history of my previous dogs living condition. This forum is helping me to see what ways are better. It's about learning.

Picture this - When I was explaining to my husband what would be involved in having a puppy he was skeptical. So I asked him what did he think we were going to do with the 8 week old puppy during the day while we were at work. He said " Well we'll just tie him out on the dog run."
I started laughing at the thought of this little puppy being tied out all day.
He just didn't know what the options were. Once we talked about puppy day care, visiting walkers, x pens and coming home at lunch time ourselves he was totally on board with the better solutions.

So remind your friend and neighbor of the dangers and let him see some of the stories on this forum. It's ok to change your mind once you learn the better way to do things. 8)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You said a mouthful, Sue! When you ask for opinions on this forum, you are going to get honest ones. That is one of the best things about the people on here - they might not "sugar coat" it, but you are getting advice from people who are going to tell you the truth.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
John - nobody was trying to be critical of you (you did nothing but ask a question). It is simply dangerous for your friend put a 16 week puppy outside (without any means of confinement) when the puppy could easily run into the street or run away. Nobody is judging, just stating facts. For the safety of the puppy, I would suggest your friend consider a tie out or be outside with him/her until a fence can be installed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree and understand. Its just that I wanted him to join te site and read your posts but when we see, some people should not even own dogs and stuff like tat he wanted nothing to do wit it. He thougt I made him look bad. So I had to turn it around. Take him in be nice give advice and we might get the desired result.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts