Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - so we got Sandy yesterday and I am already having trouble! (6 mo LD)

Does anyone have info on how dogs should act with each other? Shadow LOVES having her here, but she doesn't always tolerate him. Sometimes she is fine with him, but other times she growls at him. However, it only lasts a few seconds and only when she is in her xpen in our house and he got too close while she had her ziggy. This is normal right? I'm thinking she is going to end up being the dominant one...She has already taken bones away from Shadow. Not to eat, just to take them away from him. And he lets her without complaint. Any guidelines to the interaction when she is growling?

My biggest problem is that Sandy will not eat. It's the same food as she ate at the breeders, but she doesn't want it. She has only had 1/2 medium ziggy and some water since she got here yesterday. How long should I let this go before I worry? Shadow never slowed down on eating when we got him, so I'm not sure what to think.

I think she is pretty confused because she is used to being an outside dog, and we have her inside with us. She is pretty clueless about the leash, isn't thrilled to go in her crate (but doesn't fuss once she is in), and can't figure out how to pee on command! I'm thinking she must have peed in the house since we have only gotten her to go twice since yesterday. :? Even though she is not a puppy - do we treat her like we did Shadow when he was a puppy - to train her??

Other than these issues - I think she is going to be great. She is very calm and just wants to lay right next to you. She sees my kids and her tail goes crazy.... We really wanted a calmer dog for my Special Needs son, so once we work out all the kinks I think we will be so happy.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
oh Cheryl...congrats on Sandy and a 6mos LD is still such a puppy

and its only been 24hrs...give Sandy a week or so to settle in with you, your family and Shadow. new people, new sounds, smells, srurroundings etc
I know at 6mos a dog can do the growling and stealing, it's part of a stage , they also push buttons too, i wouldn't the growling continue, teach sandy you can take anything away at any time

6oms is also still very easy to train for potty on command...hang in there!
it's adjustment time :wink:

i don't know what food Sandy is on but perhaps later in the week you might want to try switching her slowly to the same food Shadow eats?

you 2 doodles need to determine who stand were on the totem pole of dominancy...totally normal.

in a way it sounds like things are going good for such a short time period

keep us posted......and pics please when you find time :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this may be more about a new environment than anything else...and in fact, we just changed Shadow to her food. So hopefully the food thing will work itself out.

How long can she go without eating much though?

She is acting pretty weird at the moment. I think she's sad. She doesn't want to play - just be left alone in her xpen. (The door isn't shut, but she's staying in there.) Shadow keeps walking up to her and whining. He wants to play really bad - but she's not budging. She was fine this morning, so maybe she's mad at us for putting her in a crate when we went to dinner???

Here's a picture from last night.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
she will eat when she is hungry, make sure she is drinking,
boil some hamburger or chicken rarely will they turn that down
also gerber lamb baby food, thats a good trick
or chicken broth
try anything to get her to eat, moisten food and soak before adding any of the above

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
So we adopted Kirby when he was 13 months (Dex was 12 months)...it took a good 2-4 weeks for them to settle down and figure out what was going on. One mistake we made was giving them too much together time too fast. Regardless of how well they are getting along, I would separate them for periods of time through the day. Your new puppy is probably so confused...let her come out of her x-pen on her terms for now...maybe keep food/treats and feed him when he comes to you. Try to spend some time with just your new puppy without Shadow around.

I would not feed treats such as ziggies right now (just my opinion)...they still can cause some tension with our guys and I think both of your dogs may feel they need to guard. I would feed both dogs separately out of sight of the other. Kirby didn't want to eat much the first few days...we wound up feeding him from our hands for about 2 weeks. He also wouldn't eat unless one of us was with him.

Kirby growled/snapped at Dex many times the first few weeks. We wound up having to separate them many times. Dex just was so excited to play and Kirby was probably really confused. We did not let him think it was ok...we told him no and separated him from Dexter. After about 2 weeks it all got much much better.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel your pain. So many people get a 2nd doodle and seem to have no problems at all...just wanted to let you know we had some growing pains too but they did not last very long.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
don t worry so much about who ll be the Alpha..let them figure it out between the 2..and only stepping in if things get wirey..

Toby came to our home at 4mos...we ve already got 2 very dominant dogs..and over time Toby found his place in the mix with the wife and i at the top of totem pole..

he had been eating Purina..and it was the first thing to go..we hand fed him his new kibble as he finished off the Purina and the subsituted the Nutro..now Canidae mixed with Kirkland puppy food..

we have scheduled feeding times..the food is wolfed down within a couple of minutes..main thing here is that don t allow the dogs to interfer with each other feedings..Toby is the fastest eater so he gets fed last..in the end they finish at about the same time..if Toby does nt finish his food after a period of time id take it up and they d have to wait for the next feeding..*this has nt yet happened..

also, until Toby was potty trained ..i only fed him half of what he normally eat..normal being at the time 3 cups a day..instead i fed him half a cup a day..so he remained hungry all the time and could nt wait for the next feeding..

i don t claim this will work with every dog..just Toby..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone.

She actually just finally went potty when my DH took her out - and then decided to eat and drink. I guess she just wanted me to go crazy first!!!

Hopefully they'll work things out between them. She's pretty growly and Shadow doesn't know what to think! He never learns though. He walks over to him, she growls. He then comes to me and whines. Then does it again...

She's so calm and sweet when he's not around, I'm hoping it will just take time. She's used to being with 3 other female dogs, so maybe she has to get used to a male? Shadow did hump her way too much yesterday without her complaining. (I kept telling him no) So maybe she's just letting him know she wants a break from him today. It's weird because when she doesn't mind him...she literally walks right underneath him. (His legs are twice as long as hers) So its not like she's afraid to be that close to him! :roll:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Congrats on the new pup !!

Glad to hear they are getting along ok, they will work it out between themselves and I wouldn't worry if it doesnt get rough.

keep us posted

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats on the new dog! Just wanted to add that when we brough Rosie home she didn't pee for hours. We stopped a million times on the way home (it was a 5 hour car ride) and it wasn't until late that night that she finally peed. She didn't eat regularly for a few days. I'd say by day 3 she got hungry and realized that we would pick up the food after a while. It jus doesn't work for us to free freed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts