Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have about a one and a haf year old dodle and he is constantly getting things. i watch my brother after school and its really hard. we have tried everything but nothing works. he jumps up on counters and gets papers, takes the pillows and cushions off the couch,and gets socks and unerwear. its getting rediculous. its really hard (especially since im a teenager ) to handle him. now when he gets things we have to give him a little peice of food or treat to get it from him. ANY adice would help. Thank you so much .
Emily

·
Registered
294 Posts
you are awarding him for being naughty! you need to remove things from him. It is best not to leave things out for him to get, he does not know what he is allowed to have or not have

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Your dog doesn't know what he is and is not allowed to have. We have basically doggy proofed all areas of our house that our dog can access. Gradually we will add new things in. 2 weeks ago, Dexter found the placemats on our dining room table :x so we had to remove them. When Dexter looks like he's about to pick up something he's not supposed to have we say "NO" (at first we would gently pull his collar away from the item and say no so he learned what the word no means...) Good luck!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Has anyone in your family taken your dog to obedience school? It sounds to me like he has too much freedom in the house and not enough "boundaries and limitations". I have areas of the house that are gated off and we keep the bedroom doors closed, so it is more manageable to watch my dog. Also, the area he is allowed in is pretty puppy proof (not alot is left out that he can grab).

Can you and your brother take your dog for a walk after school? It sounds like he has energy that he needs to burn off and he's playful. Can you play fetch with him to tire him out?

If you haven't taken him to obedience school, I would highly recommend that the whole family goes along. You can really learn alot of practical ways to handle your dog besides, just sit, down and walking on a leash.

These are just a few of my ideas for now. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone. my brother and i play fetch with him after schol for awhile and in the spring my mom takes him for long walks. he just is still learning his bounfries and limits!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Emily, welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you really have your hands full and the main problem is that your dog has gotten older without learning his limits...as you have so well put it. I know how that can happen, we have 5 dogs and the time slips away sometimes without me taking the time necessary to work with them.
But, since you have only one dog, you should be able to find 15 minutes every day to work with him. Teach him something new each week and then work with him until he gets it every time. Don't let up because he will not learn how to behave if he only has to do it "sometimes".
I think that the advice to take your dog to obedience class is a good one. If you can't find a class, maybe a trainer can come to your home. But, trainers can only show YOU how to train your dog...they don't work magic on the dog. They will show you how easy it is, and then it is up to you to work with him every day.
This article might have some good ideas for you: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2364
Good luck! It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts