Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I'm new here and am thrilled to find a labradoodle owners group! We just got a new labradoodle puppy, Banjo, two weeks ago - our first puppy ever! She's a sweet and cute as can be, and has been great since we've had her.

Now the bad news: She is only 12 weeks, and she stumbled in the yard and broke her leg! She is now splinted and collared and looks much like a circus dog in her current state... None of us is very happy to hear that she needs 4-6 weeks of "strict rest" with her splint!

Have any of you had a similar issue? How are we supposed to keep our active puppy in a crate and not moving around much for so long? We are concerned that her socialization and training will suffer in the meantime, and that she'll be missing out on some crucial weeks of development. Obviously, we want her to heal, but how can we keep her from going crazy in the process?

Robyn

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, my goodness Robyn! I am sorry to hear about Banjo's broken leg...ouch!
Welcome to our forum...this is a difficult question and I am afraid that I don't have much experience in this...(thankfully!)
I agree that your puppy needs socialization, and perhaps you can carry her to a store parking lot, or school yard where she can be exposed to people, sounds, animals...and where she might get a little extra attention. It would be extremely hard to keep a puppy quiet! You might want to contact your local animal shelter or humane society and see if they have suggestions. You could also work with Banjo to train her with commands that she would be able to do (simple and quiet things, especially "down"...and give her lots of love and treats.)
You could roll a ball to her nose and she could roll it back to you with her nose. You could take her in the car and let her get used to riding, play with a squeeky toy with her...things like that, I think.
I'd say to simply give her as much attention and quiet talking, touching and love...and she will be fine.
What did your vet suggest? If he didn't try to help you with this problem, you might want to look for another vet...one who is concerned with Banjo's emotional health as well as her physical health.
Please post an update on Banjo...and we'd love a picture!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a young dog that broke his leg once. It's a tough thing to keep them quiet! :? I suggest that you not get him over simulated but carrying him to quiet places will help with socializing. I couldn't do that cause "Bruno" was over 80 pounds when he broke his, but he came out of it loving everyone. He was a terrible watch dog! His idea of watching was following them to the house and licking them to death! My hubby said that if we had been broken into then it was the dog who unlocked the door. :D Bruno was part rot and part shepherd. It sounds like a rough mix, but he was a sweetheart! He loved the vets office because they always made over him when he came in.
I would say that when Bango is better, he will need to catch up with traning, but the love part will be there. Doodles are sweet dogs. And I think you will be pleasantly surprised that he will be very willing to learn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow ..that is tough ...You didnt mention where the break is ..but the do have leashes for dogs with broken back legs that lift them up so they dont have to bear wt and can just use the front legs...You sure would need to check with you vet...
http://www.pawstogo.com/index.asp?PageA ... &ProdID=66

Im wondering about a small wagon that she could lay down in and you could make a swaddle cloth out of a hand towel..sew ties on all four corners. Have her lay in wagon place the towel on top and secure under wagon . You could then pull her around the neighborhood...Im sure you would meet a lot of people who wanted to meet the lady who was pulling her puppy in a wagon ....Take lots of treats so you can reward her for being still. Lucky for you Labradooles like to lay on their backs.......

Did the Dr mention diet change.?...In the hospital we give extra calcium and vit c to promote bone healing.(I have no clue if vit c is okay for dogs ) ..Id also worry about constipation in a dog who wasn't active...Sorry its the nurse in me...!!!!
Let us know what works ...you have a real challange ahead of you ...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi Robynmarie and welcome to the forum, I really don't have any experience in this area either never had a dog with a broken leg yet. You could call some trainers in your area and see what they suggest on training until Banjo heals. Love that name by the way I'll have to tuck it away for the future. also there is a vitamin out there called NuVet go to www.nuvet.com these would help in his healing process. Keep us posted and hope he is okay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all,

Thanks for the warm welcome! You all had great suggestions regarding what I could do with Miss Banjo as she recovers with her broken leg. Good news on that front: My office is allowing me to take her to work during the day so that she doesn't have to be by herself during the day (we come home for lunch, so she's not alone anyway for all that long, but still!) This is excellent, because she will be exposed to people, but crated, and will learn to ride in the car and will hopefully see some new things. Not to mention our schedules will become a little less hectic :) And what office couldn't use the morale builder?

Anyway, with each day, she is getting more and more energetic and hard to control when not crated. She is beginning to refuse to sit quietly and is more mischevious than ever. Clearly a result of no exercise :-( But we are working on Sits and Downs and Bellys and giving lots of praise and love. Sometimes she will sit on my lap while I'm watching TV or whatever.

I tried the ball rolling game as you suggested, Jac - WOW, we've got a ways to go on that one :) It's getting harder to keep her attentive, the more energy she saves up!

Anyway, I will keep you all posted - thanks for the advice!

Robyn

P.S., Tojak, you wanted to know which leg - it's her right front leg, so no wheelie devices or special leashes for us :-/ I've heard of people putting the crate on wheels, though, and taking it (with dog in tow) down the street for a "walk." I also love the wagon idea, Tojak!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, Gracielou, my boss is great, and the people in the office are also fantastic. Banjo should have a good time with us all at work!

One woman even talked about bringing her 8 year old in to the office to keep Banjo company!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
:D Well, I must say, Robyn, that you have the perfect solution! I am so impressed that you are able to take Banjo to your office. Who knows, maybe she will be so popular that they will insist that she belongs there as the office mascot!
I had to laugh at your comment about the ball rolling...I can only imagine! (Nose ball rolling isn't for everyone... :wink: )
I think that the woman bringing her 8 year old is absolutely inspired! I think that Banjo is going to get far more socialization than most uninjured puppies!
Congratulations on finding such a perfect solution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heh, I was just thinking last night that I shoudl post an update! Thanks for asking!

Banjo is doing fabulously! She comes to work with me every day (as we speak she is zonked out next to me) and everyone loves her, gives her treats, and comes to pet her all the time. She is meeting people of all sizes and loves everyone! (She's never met anything/anyone that she doesn't love - except this one metal trash can!)

She is hanging in with the lack of activity, and it looks like it's paying off: it looks like the cast can come off in a couple of weeks. Woo hoo!

Robyn

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is great! Thanks for the report...I get pretty darned involved with these dogies!
I am so glad that Banjo is such a hit and, especially, that so much superb socializing is going on! You found the perfect solution to a really tough dillemma!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am glad that you joined us Patti, but sorry that you have such a sadness to deal with...I don't have words of wisdom, just sincere wish for a speedy recovery for your puppy.
I hope that you will keep us posted and feel free to write in for support when you are feeling the need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.