Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tucker is 3 months old now and sleeps in a crate. He's done very well with that and has had no accidents in the crate. We usually put him in the crate at about 11 pm and he goes to sleep quickly. Unfortunately, he wakes up barking around 6 every day -- about an hour earlier than we'd like :-(. I know he can last longer, since there have been some mornings when he has quieted down for a while. We put a towel over the crate so it is dark for him, but that hasn't helped. I tried just letting him bark for a while, but he's been showing more stamina. We get him to quiet down before letting him out, but any ideas how we can get him to stop barking so incessitantly? He naps in his crate (open during the day), so I think it is a "closed crate" issue. He also has plenty of chew toys in there, but it doesn't help in the morning. Is it just a puppy thing or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Markv........HI

you have one of 2 options:

1. Your very young baby doodle has slept 9hours and needs to go potty
soooooooooooooo
get up at 6am

2. put your doodle to bed at say 11:30 or midnight and get up at 7am when you prefer to.

3. try giving no water an hour or two before bedtime and a last minute potty walk too.

wish i were more help but there are soem of us with puppies that'd give our right arm to sleep THRU the night hahaha

good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok -- he's been doing it for about a month -- he just started waking up early. At first, he started waking up at 5am (yuck) and I let him cry and he started sleeping longer but the last few weeks, it's been 6am.

I do the last minute potty walk. He even knows that it is time to go to bed after that.

I have tried getting him to sleep later, but he still wakes up at 6. My son does that same thing so perhaps it runs in the family ;-)

I know I shouldn't complain, but I guess I'm wondering if this is create related or just "puppies don't sleep as long" related

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sam goes to sleep about 9 every night. I wake him for a final potty break at about 10.30. He generally sleeps through till about 6am. Sometimes, I leave him till about 7 or 7.30. When he's restless in his crate, it generally means that he needs to potty. Like this morning, I let him out, he pottied (took a while! :roll: ) but then this enabled me to crate him and for me to go back to sleep. He generally settles again once he's gone potty. Sam is 15 weeks and I've been using the crate ever since I got him at 8 wks. I'm very fortunate that Sam doesn't really bark (yet! :shock: ) The only time he barks is at foreign objects he's never seen before.....like the broom I use for sweeping the yard. :lol:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky goes to bed on his own, usually by 10 o'clock. He's ready to start his day between 6 and 7 a.m. At 15 months he no longer sleeps in a crate, so he comes and wakes me up and I let him out to go potty. Then I let him back inside and I go back to bed for a while if I want to. Sometimes he'll also go back to sleep (on his own bed). He gets fed after I get up for the day.

Tucker probably barks at 6 a.m. because (1) he has to go potty and (2) he's had enough sleep and wants out of the crate to start his day.

·
Registered
560 Posts
What if, at the time he starts barking, you throw a bone or chew toy or something into his crate to keep him quiet for a while longer?

Both my labradoodle (who is 5 months old) and my previous golden retriever just wanted to be beside us at night and wouldn't sleep in a crate the whole night. My solution is a small pillow/bed beside our bed. Bailey sleeps until we get up (or he hears us stirring). If he wakes up a bit early he just grabs his rawhide and chews until we get up. I used to leash him to the bed until about a month ago but he stays on his pillow all night now so no need for a leash.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Bogie's vet said that a puppy can hold his bladder for 1 hour for each month of life. That would be 3 hours for your little Tucker.
Usually, they can sleep longer at night so actually you've doubled his night sleeping for bladder size.
It took Bogie until he was just short of 4 months to go the full 8 hours.
We do restrict water after 10.........and take him out just before he goes in his crate.
I agree with maybe trying midnight out and bed and maybe he'll make it until 7AM??

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
For us, Max slept on the bed since day 1 at 13wks old when we got him
he always held it till we woke up
BUT if he was in a crate........he couldnt'...go figure.

around 5mos they're bladders really are quite mature and sleeping thru the night is the norm. OR at least with 2 of my doodles this is how was for us.
NOW if i hear one of my doodles or they wake me up earlier than usual it really does mean they have to go asap...so once in great while this happens, we do quick potty walk and then go back to bed peacefully

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info -- it helps with sanity. By the way, if when we let him out, he usually is wound up and there's no way he would go back to sleep. he is in his run & bite puppy stage :-( so after he gets up, he's bouncing off the walls...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Your Tucker is adorable!
Such pretty coloring!

Abby is our youngest....let's see, she is 13 weeks old....
We brought her home at 8 weeks and she would need
to go out to potty at bedtime, around 10:30....
(she'd be asleep in the den with us since nearly 9-9:30...
but I'd get her up at 10:30and take her out and then crate her.)
Then around 2:30-3am she would give us a tiny yelp
and I'd take her out to pee and then right back into the crate.
She'd go back to sleep until 6:30
when she was starving....dinner was 12 1/2 hours ago!!
She has gradually given up the middle of the night pee
and will sleep like clock work until 7:30....
on the weekends, if I want another hour of sleep,
she will go back into the crate and wait til 8:30 for breakfast!!
What a love she is!!!
That extra hour for me is a blessing at times,
as I am not always able
to fall asleep for hours at night.
When she gets up for the second time on those days.....
She is STARVING!!!
She eats like she hasn't eaten in days then.

It will all smooth out for Tucker and you , too.
Just takes time....You kind of have to gently force
your schedule and they adjust...
though not necessarliy~immediately.
The idea to throw a bone, or
chewing stick in the crate,
so you can sleep a little longer,
might take care of the problem....
Abby's crate is in my bedroom
and she is noisy when she is chewing something...
so I can't go back sleep if she's got one....Oh well.
Whatever works.....Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I sympathize with you, we really enjoy evey minute of sleep in the morning. Hershey was a 6:45 girl until 6 months old and then would sleep longer. Gustopher was a 6:00am guy, now her is 6 months old and lets us sleep until 7:00-7:30. They will sleep more as they grow up. We tried a late night walk, no water past 9pm, etc and it helped a bit.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
It definitely gets better with age. Our 2 will be quiet until 7:30 on most weekends...if we take them out/feed them and go back to bed they will be quiet again until 9 :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
mark...here;s a thought, usually when i have enough energy
i take all 3 doodles out for a late night walk letting them run their tushies off in my backyard.
what's late night? 10pm....and they only need 10min if not 15min
OR if i can't do this , i play fetch inside with them for 15min

a tired doodle is a good doodle as they say
BEAU is 6mos old now whereas the other 2 are 13 and 18mos
i find every night they're hyper from 7pm to 8:30pm and again around
9:30 to 10pm

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hmmmmm. I, too, sympathize with you..I just really thought about your dilemma....it isn't that you have a pup awake early in the morning....but one that is barking!!

I am so sorry! That is something I have never had to deal with, as both are pretty quiet in the mornings....for the most part.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Interesting....I am a morning person and I often lay there at 5AM waiting for Tanner to wake up so we can start our day. If DH stays in bed, Tanner goes back to bed...he would like to be a late riser :p

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sometimes dogs are telling you that they've outgrown the confinement when they do that. Have you thought about letting him out of the crate at night? I never crated my dogs at night; I tethered them to my bed on a short lead so that they wouldn't be tempted to soil their own area and would let me know through their restlessness when they had to go out. I could also reach down and pat a little head if it needed reassurance the first few nights.

After awhile I let them off the lead and shut the bedroom door, so they wouldn't wander at night. Soon they were used to the routine so I could leave the door open and they'd stay put.

Something to think about.

Leslie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts