Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a spray I can use when dematting my Labradoodle who is second generation and has poodle hair with an undercoat of mats? I can't find anything with a google search except a rinse when shampooing. I need something when I comb her many times a week so it would be easier on all that pulling which is necessary. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Best Shot is what is favored around here- plus it smells good. You can get it at both petedge.com and idog.com. There's a spray leave in conditioner that is nice with matts. But, I haven't had experience with matts yet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I usually find it much easier (and less painful) to clip the mat out...but, that being said, Cowboy Magic is touted by breeders as being the best product for preventing mats. It is actually sold as a horse supply and you can find it at any farm products store.
If you clip the mats out, be very careful, it is so easy to stretch their skin out and nick it...I usually lay the mat flat and sissor a small section at a time. It is very time consuming, but my dogs like the attention and they feel so good when they are finished. (I understand that mats hurt, they are always pulled tight, like a too tight braid in human hair. Ouch!)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Carole, I like to use a pair of thinning shears to cut through the mat. Be sure to put the comb next to the skin to prevent cutting the skin. I also use the Cowboy Magic and really work it in well to the mats and sometimes that helps.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I use Ice on Ice Leave in Conditioner for Dakota, http://www.chrissystems.com/iceonice1.htm. I love it for Dakota's coat, plus it has a sunscreen and he is in the sun a lot! Although mats have not been a problem for us, Ice on Ice supposedly works great for detangling mats.

I am also going to look into the Cowboy Magic Jac recommends--I've always been very satisfied with Mane and Tail Shampoos and Conditioners which are also products for horses . . .

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Diane what kind of scent does the ice on ice have? I like that it has sunscreen in it as AB has such a thin coat, it'd be nice to have some sunscreen

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
seazr said:
Mary
The Ice on Ice I have has absolutely no scent--just sniffed it! :wink: I don't know if they also have scented varieties . . .
great, I will order some, I have such a hard time finding things with no scent, so many of them set off my allergies :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts