Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lani and Toby are ripping up the grass and we are afraid that by spring there won't be any left! :shock:Has anyone used straw to put down over the grass to protect it? Or any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shannon.nnThe mud has not been too bad this time (unlike a month ago which is why Lani got a hair cut!) The problem is there will be no grass by spring and it will be Big Time Puppy Mud Wrestling! Not a sight I wand to see or have to clean up!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I have problems with mud more due to bad drainage than Jonah destroying the grass. I know what you mean by mud!

I believe ESPN is short on programming again, so maybe you're on to something with Doodle Mud Wrestling.....SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!! :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
We have a path the doodles have created---much of it comes from 100lbs of doodle running back and forth and then coming to a screeching halt so he doesn't get hit by the electric fence.

Count us in on that ESPN programming.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We have a mud pit right by our back porch. We spread straw down last fall and it has cut down on the mud tracked in the house. She'll have some straw hanging off of her, but that's better than mud. Now does anyone have a solution for getting grass to grow in the mud pit! We've been trying since before doodle times to get that area to grow. Must be bad dirt. Cinnamon doesn't help it much. It's her favorite place to roll around with a visiting girlfriend.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Cinsmom...did they poop alot there? cause in the spring you can fix that problem easily

Is the soil acidic or alkaline?
acidic: usuually clayey..forms lumps easily when in hand and/or wet.

also where is this spot? near a foundation of the house?under trees and what kinds? etc.

Let me know and i'll help you. Been in landscape business for over 15yrs

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The spot is right by the walkway to the back door. Gets plenty of sunlight, no shade. Even crab grass won't grow. Nothing. There was grass there when we moved in the house (5 yrs ago) and when we had a new roof put on shortly after moving in, the grass was killed there. I think it was foot traffic plus that's where the trash was thrown off the roof. Anyway, nothing has grown there since. I have a flower bed on the other side of the walkway, between the yard & the house that does fine. In fact, it does so fine I end up thining it every year to help with crowding. We had an old cocker then, but he didn't do anything to it, didn't pee there or poop. Cinnamon doesn't go there either. she prefers out by the fence. She's a creature of habit- she has her spot and there's no moving it. Makes it easy to clean up after her, but not so good when there's a south wind, if you get my drift!! :shock:

Any ideas? We tried putting new topsoil on it, now there is a THICK layer of seed and it's covered with straw - hoping to get something started there over the winter and into the spring before the dry season sets in. I forget the kind of grass we chose, but it's supposed to be drought tollerant, not bluegrass. I can look at the bag in the garage, but I'm not dressed yet and it's COLD here this morning!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Cins...let me make a call to my friend who's in the business 30yrs+
OH what is temp there now??? does it go below 50 degrees cause if it does you'll have to wait till warmer weather
Cins want to PM me hahahhahaha I think this post topic was about...shoot now i forgot hahhahahaha

·
Registered
162 Posts
I WANT GRASS ADVICE TOO!!!

HELP! My yard has 2 spots that are HUGE mud pits (1 of these spots is about 8x20 ft!) All I do is bathe dogs, wipe feet & mop floors. In the good old pre-dog days it was lush with grass, but the repeated pounding of feet & digging has destroyed it.

Last weekend, I brought in top soil, covered it with pine straw, threw in grass seed & put up a make shift fence. Within 15 mins LizDood taught the other dogs how to jump over the fence. Since its rained 12 out of the last 14 days, now I have an awful mix of mud & pinestraw.

Ive thought about installing an electric fence around the area, but wont they just tear up another area? What can I do???

LizziesMom

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only good thing about the 15 + inches of snow we are getting here in Michigan is that it is covering up the mud !! My house is so much cleaner, and the doodles are too. However, once Spring comes it will be a different story. We too are using straw over the mud wrestling pit, and that helps some, but I fear we will never have grass there again. So...I am really interested in everyone's suggestions. Kathy, Lizzie and Louie

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Annmarie,

Right now it's 20 degrees, and it's the warm day. Not supposed to get out of the teens tomorrow, but at least there's no mud right now. It will usually get up to freezing about once or twice a week here in the winter, but gets over 100 in the summer. Ah Kansas!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
With the way my back yard floods because of a messed up drainage system they fixed(??), I always joke about putting in concrete and painting it green and have my artist niece paint flowers on it! :lol: My cousin keeps offering up suggestions, I just hose Jonah off and shake my head in agreement! :wink:

·
Registered
558 Posts
We have the same dillemma. We used to have a beautiful grassy yard by the pool, A gorgeous shade tree. Now we have a lot of dirt, except in the kennel area, which is beautiful green grass, cause the poochies won't go in there. We are thinking of continually moving the kennel around the yard and see how that works. LOL... or maybe the pups will just lounge by the pool all summer and let us grow grass..

·
Registered
279 Posts
You're kidding about the grass, right? Here in the Pacific NW it's muddy for 8 months of the year. We're out in the country, but we had a pretty nice mown meadow/pasture (pre doods). By coincidence, when the doods were little, we had a very large pile of fine top dressing (mulch) we used to prepare our garden. In about 5 minutes it became apparent that the mulch pile was now a dood pile. They had a lot of fun with it for about a year, playing king of the mountain and burying rocks and tennis balls in it. The mulch tended not to stick to their coats, so it mostly fell off before they got to the house. I say mostly....but I seem to recall being able to mulch all my potted plants with the sweepings! Anyhow, they outgrew the rolling-in-the-pile stage and now seem quite a bit more dignified. (18 months) However, the grass at the foot of the steps, where galloping doods cross out to the yard about 6 million times a day has become.....wait.... there's NO grass. So that's why I said you must be kidding........!! We're considering gravel.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok for starters if you have a really sunny area you can plant certain sunny mosses or i am trying to remember the name of the low growing plant ...it grows in paths, over rocks etc. I know ihave it.

IF it's a shady area then either heavy mulch and/or moss is great folks.
Moss can take tons of abuse.

BUT all areas need to be roped off a bit till it takes hold. Certain ground covers grow in very nicely. i have 2 areas where my kids ran, their friends and they all rode bikes, etc...it held up!!!

NOW ...if you PM me with the exposure (sunlight or shade and what times of day), does it puddle over in spring and stay dry in summer? etc
I might be able to help you out a bit in what to do to cut down on NON-grassy areas or muddy due to doodles hahahhaa
Remember though: if it's really heavily ran thur constantly it's hard. Like horses or sheep grazing)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts