Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a quote from our vet for our Riley's spay. She is going to be 6 months old this month and we want to get it done soon...

They came back with $500. Is this reasonable or overpriced? I have nothing to base it off of.

the break down is:
  • Surgery: $240
    ECG test for anesthesia: $22
    Riadiology Hip films: $77
    Pain management during surgery: $26
    Blood pressure monitoring: $11
    Rimadyl injection (another pain medication): $28
    Pain medication to bring home: $45
    Microchipping: $60 (optional)

Obviously we will get it done, but we were thinking it would be in the 2-300 range and will be a hit on our savings.
:shock:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
wow that sounds expensive to me. We only have boys, but Dex's surgery was around $200 - closer to $300 for Kirb who had an undescended testicle)...and NJ isn't a cheap area :)

Ok, I went back and reread...we did not get hip x-rays and did microchip separately (Kirby's was $30). If you take those costs off, your surgery cost is actually $370 which sounds high, but not unreasonable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We live in Nova Scotia. The estimate from our vet for Callie is lower... it reads:
Preanaesthetic screen - $46
Ovariohysterectomy, canine 21-40kg - $150
Torbugesic injection - $48.48
Rimadyl capsules - $13.10
Medical waste fee - $1.50
Use of surgical laser - $50
Rabies booster (1 year) - $16
TOTAL - $325.08

The vet tech explained to me that this is their 'cadillac' spay, with the use of the laser to reduce pain and bleeding, the painkillers to bring home, and the rabies booster at the same time. They will also trim her nails and pluck her ears (both complimentary) while she is under, if I wish.

Looking at yours, the two things that jump out at me as being 'frills' are the hip x-rays and the microchip. They add $137 to the bill - without them, the figure is closer to what we were quoted. Of course, whether those are frills would be up for debate. I wouldn't even think about passing on the microchipping (Callie was chipped by her breeder). I'd need to ask the vet about the hip films. It will be easier to do them while your dog is under for the spay surgery, but are they necessary? That's a judgement call only you and your vet can make.

Megan, I'm surprised that neuters in your area cost more than spays. Here it is just the opposite as a spay is abdominal surgery while a neuter is a bit more of a clip and snip job.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I do not remember what Annabelle's surgery cost, have you called around to several vets to see if that is the going price in your area, that should tell you if your Vet is in line price wise.

I know when we moved from Tampa to Tennessee, the Vet up here was so Cheap in comparison :shock: and we were very lucky to find a great Vet, been with them for 13 yrs now

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I had our foster dog, Lucy, spayed at the Animal Care League. They are a local shelter organization. They have a very reputable vet and clinic. It cost $50. Perhaps you can find something local that is reasonable if you call your area shelters?

Lucy was not given any pain medication or antibiotics but she did fine. She was also microchipped for $10.

Deb

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Here's a website for reduced rates
http://www.friendsofanimals.org/program ... index.html

I used this with my cocker years ago. At that time, I volunteered at my local animal shelter for 6 hours, and got to use my regular vet to do the neutering.

You may also want to call your local shelters. My vet here volunteers his time and costs are a lot lower there. I'm lucky, because in my vets practice, he is HUGE on spay/neuter, so his in office costs are very reasonable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Angel Memorial

We also live in the NE area and just bought a doodle as well. Our local vet and others quoted $250-$360 for just the spay alone (not including other expenses you quoted) but we found that Angel Memorial Animal Hospital in JP is only $144. They are a highly respected animal hospital (probably the best in Boston). I know that it is kind of far from NH - but may be worth the drive? They have weekend appointments. Good luck!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Our local Humane Society has a spay and neuter program which costs much, much less than the price for neutering quoted by the vet I was using at the time. The spaying or neutering is done by volunteer vets. Included in the price is a microchip. There are also several other places in my area that have similar programs.

I had Nicky neutered at the Humane Society and was able to meet and talk to the vet who worked on him before I took Nicky home. I was happy with the program and I saved lots of money.

Maybe you can find something similar in your area.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the tips everyone. i guess what i need to do is decide whether or not we want the hip films. we do want the microchipping done, that's for sure.

the friends of animals link gave me 2 vets in the area so I will be calling them - we already had her pre-op bloodwork done about a month ago (guess i should have gotten my quote then!) and want to know if her records are transferable.

i want to do right by her that's for sure...but man these expenses all pile up at once sometimes :shock:

i think this month has been the most expensive one since our wedding...isn't that how it usually goes though?

·
Registered
247 Posts
ours cost $375, and i thought that was pricey. you can try checking out your local SPCA, or ask one of the bigger pet stores for a reference for low cost spay options, which are usually an option in any city and cost $100 or so.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Brooke I used the friends of animals certificate for Iris's spay - it was just over $110 after all was said and done (she needed an extra antibiotic). Without the antibiotic it was only $94! The vet was about 45 minutes away, and I almost walked out when I walked into the office for her pre-op visit because it wasn't the cleanest place... but the vet was AMAZING and totally made up for it when we met him. She came through with flying colors :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
spay for peanut was $245
microchip is $36

max neutering was $245 +$50 bloodwork = $295

anyone in our area charging $400 is overpriced

around here $245-$295 is average for a 6 to 9mo old dog whether spaying or neutering

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
if cost is going to be a problem..as i..

i went thru www.spayusa and got a terrific discount thru
one of their participating vet s..

BUT $500 FOR SPAYING? :shock:

i do know thay spaying is a little more complicated than neutering..
it cost about $150-$200 for neutering so it does seem a bit steep..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Riley had her spay done yesterday - we used the Friends of Animals program and paid 90 for the certificate, 45 for the pre-spay appointment, and then 65 at pickup for microchipping and pain meds.

Very reasonable, and she seems to be doing a lot better today, very mellow and tired but her appetite is back which is good.

Thanks for all your help! I didn't know such programs even existed - glad I asked!

·
Registered
75 Posts
We are in NE. Our vet quoted us $165 if Fonzie is under 50 lbs or $193 if he is over. I did have an appt set for next week (Fonzie is just six months), but am now going to wait until the end of the summer. Just the thought of trying to keep him inactive and "dry" while he heals makes me want to wait for cooler weather. Our vet is great and has great prices. He repaired one of my past beagles torn acl's for about $700 all together. He did a great job, too. He also has never charged when he had our poor old dogs put down.

Nancy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Our vet is on the Dighton/Rehoboth line, not too far from Seekonk. Fabulous prices and they know what they are doing. Dighton/Rehoboth animal hosp. Let me know if you need more info than that!

Nancy

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Bogart's neutering and a supervised overnight stay was $182.
Other vets ranged form $230-280 and that did nOT include a overnight or someone there 24/7.. :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
dreamer728 said:
thanks for the tips everyone. i guess what i need to do is decide whether or not we want the hip films. we do want the microchipping done, that's for sure.

the friends of animals link gave me 2 vets in the area so I will be calling them - we already had her pre-op bloodwork done about a month ago (guess i should have gotten my quote then!) and want to know if her records are transferable.

i want to do right by her that's for sure...but man these expenses all pile up at once sometimes :shock:

i think this month has been the most expensive one since our wedding...isn't that how it usually goes though?
I can't imagine why they need hip x-rays! I do believe that it is good to have blood work done (which you have) because in an emergency you won't have to wait for that...but that's all.

Yes, I think that your vet is way overpriced. It is good to do the microchip while she is asleep and either way it is $40...so that is fine. It's the hip x-ray that has me questioning the fees.

Don't let this vet make you feel like a bad doodle parent if you say no to this stuff...

One thing that may be costing more (and be worth it, I think) is laser surgery...is that what they do?

If you go somewhere else, you can ask for your records, including the blood work up. You paid for it...they should be fine in giving it to you. You might want to ask for a copy of that before you cancel... :wink:

Whoops, I didn't see that there is a page two...I feel like Roseann Rosanna Danna (for those of you old enough to know the first Saturday Night Live skits...)...."nevermind."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts