Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need to know if this is normal - my 10 month old F1 is chewing everything. I just bought a Kong and a tire that has not been destroyed yet. He just seems to be chewing and mouthing a lot and I didn't know if that is normal for a dog his age. What do you do to stop the dog from mouthing and jumping on company? I have been firmly saying not sit, but sometimes the mouthing continues. Help?

·
Registered
248 Posts
When we frist got Uma she was very mouthy....always wanting to take you by the hand or nibble on you if you were sitting near her. She never hurt either of us with her chewing, but it was constant. To stop this behavior we'd quickly give her a Nyla Bone everytime she started to chew on us and eventually she recognized that our hands were not chew toys.

The jumping, however, is something we are still working on and she's a year and a half. Squirt water bottles help, but they aren't always handy. We also try to ignore her when she's jumping, lettting her know it's not ok.

Labradoodles are so smart. They usually will pick up on things if you're consistant, but i know it's hard.

Good Luck!
Katie

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Try putting her leash by the door where company comes into. When you get company, clip the leash on and STAND on it. She will try, but she can't jump because of you standing on it. All the while ignore her (hard, I know!) and let company know she doesn't get attention until she's quiet. Cinnamon used to do this at that age. This method helps with the excitement peeing too.

Cinnamon used to go through a big raw hide roll a night. I know, some people don't like these, but I can't see chewing on a plastic bone to be good for them either. I'm starting research on the plastic they put in toys and it's scary. I'm sure it's in dog toys, too, so we stay natural.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
At 9 1/2 mos. Ebbe's chewing is pretty much confined to destroying toys. I have noticed she likes to get things to her back teeth and then chew. Do Doodles get molars after their adult teeth come in?

The jumping, however, is something we are still working on and she's a year and a half. Squirt water bottles help, but they aren't always handy. We also try to ignore her when she's jumping, lettting her know it's not ok.
We are trying to break this habit too. But what do you do when your doodle welcomes you home not only by jumping, but putting the paws around your waist and laying her head on your chest? I have never seen a dog "hug" before, but that seems to be what she's doing. And I must admit :oops: I LOVE IT! :oops: Consequently harder to discourage.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ha! That is so funny you mentioned your doodle's "hug" because Uma does a similar thing and we love it too. I know it probably gives her confusing mixed signals, but if she's sitting and you say "hugs, hugs" to her she'll wrap her arms around your neck and lay her head on your shoulder! There's nothing in the world like a hug from my girl!

I love the leash idea to help with the jumping. I'm going to try it out.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
:cry: I'm a little sad because Dexter has never hugged me. He gives lots of kisses though so I guess that makes up for it.

Oh concerning the original post - Dexter became a bit of a harder chewer with toys around 10 months. Basically at that point he started destroying stuffed toys. He doesn't mouth people though. If he mouths you, I would say "no" and immediately give him an appropriate chew toy and say "good chew" (at least that's what worked for us).

Concerning jumping - we're still working on that one too :oops:. He just gets so excited when company comes. Last time we had a treat ready and made him sit and my brother gave him the treat only when he sat. He was a little better, but still jumped up a bit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all your help everyone. I will try the leash for the jumping and give him rawhide or nylabone for the appropriate chewing. He is just having a hard time with the mouthing. He is ocnstantly at you as you are sitting so I guess I need to be consistent too. As far as hugging that is kind of what he does when he jumps up to and looks at you so cute! But it is not so cute when he tries to do it to my 3 year old, who loves him to death, but is a lot smaller :D Thanks for the advice

Erin, BIll, Timmy, Patrick, Molly, Aidan, and Charlie too!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bigsby is also a mouther, a chewer, and a jumper. Whew! He has gotten a lot gentler with the mouthing but I still try to discourage it by a "no" and putting his mouth on a toy. Sometimes works. Sometimes doesn't. If he just won't stop, it's crate time because I can't STAND it. Nylabones are about the only chew toy that he doesn't chew apart and eat in a matter of minutes. He has to be watched very carefully with anything else. I have always been leery of rawhide because of how it can get stuck in their digestive system - but it seems to be okay for some dogs. One thing that keeps him occupied for a while is ice - we've talked about that before on another thread - he acts like it's the most wonderful treat in the world. The leash idea is great for jumping - I had forgotten about doing that. He has gotten good about not jumping on me or my husband because we completely ignore him until he sits - but I must say, if I were to get a "hug", I think I would let that slide!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Re: Thanks

wfin73 said:
I will try the leash for the jumping
Be sure to stand on the leash with your full wieght. Cali almost knocked me off my feet tonight when my son's friends came to the door. I had her lie down and I stood on the leash, but must have had more weight on the other foot and when she jumped up it lifted my foot right up and I almost went over. :oops:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jonah's favorite pastime is taking "ownership" of certain of my family members. Especially my brother Phil and my Niece Cristine. Jonah half...or completely climbs on them when they sit on the couch. He starts with the paw, and if not discouraged.....he moves to the lap and beyond. Then the kisses and wet willies begin!! :lol: Cristine is his absolute favorite!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
GENE i think jonah and max are related :wink: when my daughter or friend Brenda comes over max forgets his training :roll: HOWEVEVER I asked them to say NO jump and ignore him by walking away or getting up and leaving. It works :shock:

My doodles aren't mouthy just NOSY :wink:

Peanut started jumping again :roll: i tihnk the leash trick may be what i need to do. Peanut is 8.5mos old but still acts like she's 4mos old at times.

for chewing though kongs and teething rings work best

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
The biggest problem with my niece and brother is that they LOVE Jonah and the attention. When he tries it with others, they say off and he does listen. They just spoil him!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My trainer says it takes about 18 months for the teeth to grow in completly so that is why some dogs chew longer than others their gums itch while the teeth are still growing, so keep buying toys and chews you might be in for the long haul.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts