Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I live in suburban Detroit and am the proud mommy of two loving, super smart, affectionate, and wonderful F1 Labradoodles.

It is with sadness, however, that I find this site. Unfortunately my husband has gotten a large promotion at work which means we're moving to NY (manhattan, most likely).

This is where I really need your help! We obviously are in no position to keep the dogs with us in an apartment in NYC, IF that were even an option.

I am beside myself with grief. We spent alot of time researching and screening our breeder and of course a considerable amount of $ on our dogs. To think it has come to this is so upsetting!

They are very healthy and up to date on all shots, vaccines, etc. We have one female (spayed) and one male who is unneutered. They are both about 14 months old.

We have discussed the situation with friends, family members, the church pastor, the mailman, and just about anyone who is willing to listen! None of them are in a position to take in one, let alone two, large breed dogs.

I will be posting flyers in local grocery stores, groomers, etc tomorrow.

I just don't know what else to do......

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would prefer to place them in homes with families before resorting to sending them back to their breeder. She wasn't at all pleased when I called to share the situation with her. Not a good sign if you ask me.

G

·
Wow, congratulations on the promotion! I am sure it is a hard decision to go. I think if you post as much info about your dogs as possible, that might help. Are they housetrained, indoor dogs? Do you want them placed together or would you be willing to separate them? Any quirks, are they good with children/cats? Do they shed? Any special needs/diet?Photos?
You could also contact Shannon and see if she can help. She rehomes Doodles thru Idog and is a wonderful person who even if she does not have a place for your dogs, maybe she can help you in how to screen potential owners? Here are some details:
http://www.idog.biz/IDOGRRR/IDOGRRRRehome.html

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Wow that certainly is a tough position to be in. I am sure all Doodle lovers here can empathize with your dilemma.

I think if you post as much info about your dogs as possible, that might help. Are they housetrained, indoor dogs? Do you want them placed together or would you be willing to separate them? Any quirks, are they good with children/cats? Do they shed? Any special needs/diet?Photos?
I agree. The more info the better. Good or bad. And if I might be so bold, are you hoping to recoup financially at all? My guess, photos would help too. I know of long time doodle lover who I believe just cannot afford much. And myself as well, but these are questions that need to be addressed. Thanks for the info, and good luck. We will be watching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses so far. I looked over the link to the website provided and will begin completing the form.

We are only asking a $100 adoption fee/doodle. This is obviously to prevent someone obtaining the dogs for sinister/ill thought out reasons. We would have to ask thousands of dollars to recoup our costs, so that is not at issue. I just want to find loving homes for them before time runs out.

I will post photos as soon as possible In the meantime here is some info about the dogs:

One female, 14 months, cream colored fleece coat with very little shedding.

She has the *sweetest* disposition. I have never owned a dog with a more loving personality. She would rather be rewarded in training with a snuggle, hug, or kiss than any doggie treat on the market! She truly is a people loving dog. She is fantastic around younger children, even those considered "hyperactive".

She weighs about 75 pounds, is spayed, housebroken, up to date on all shots. I have saved every receipt and invoice from the vet. She receives monthly revolution treatments and is well groomed. She has learned the following commands: sit, lay, stay, come, up (jump up into the SUV). We are working on others, but as you all know...it can take time. She walks very well on her leash with a Gentle Leader collar.

One male, cream coat, 14 months. His coat is more of a hair coat and does shed.

He is a very loving and laid back dog. Calmer than the female but slightly less "cuddly" if you know what I mean. He has wonderful hunting instincts and would make a great bird dog. He has got the lab intelligence and often outsmarts his mommy and daddy to their bemusement! He is trained to sit, stay, lay down, and up (into the SUV). We are working on some others currently. He is good with children, but due to his size and weight, a home without small kids is ideal.

He weighs about 90 pounds, is unneutered, up to date on all shots, receives monthly Revolution and is well groomed. He is housebroken and crate trained. Walks well on leash with Gentle Leader as well.

They have no behavioral issues such as agression toward other people/dogs.

I know this is long, but I hope this helps.

G

·
They both sound wonderful. The good thing about Shannon and Idog is the prescreening of the homes and the matching they do. Keep us posted!

G

·
Congrats on the promotion and I am sorry to hear that means giving up the dogs. I will be in Michigan next week and will tell everyone I see and refer them to this link. Also if you want feel free to PM me your email address or someway to get a hold of you in case you are not checking the board everyday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would greatly appreciate it if you did spread the word about my dogs.

I am still hopeful that between posting the flyers locally and spreading the word that I can find them good homes.

I can be reached at [email protected]

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i'll be saying prayers someone who needs your doodles as much as they need them, contact you.

please keep us posted...thank you

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I live in Birmingham, Michigan.................send me some info and maybe I can help??? Where do you live.............you can PM me if you like.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
OH annmarie.........do ya know what I'm thinking??..............shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......I CANNNOT tell my husband!!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hi MichDoodle, How is your search going? I am going to be speaking to to a woman in the next hour that is in love with doodles and wants one bad. Not really sure of two, but what is going on with the placement of your dogs. Still trying to find homes? Let me know, and I will give her some info. Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First I would like to thank everyone here for their advice, suggestions, and support.

It has made a huge difference to me during this time. I have been away for several days now. I was so busy with screening my prospective families that I did not have time to post here.

I have been running around like a mad woman doing my "due diligence" and making sure these were the right families.

My female is now placed with a lovely family. It was HARD to arrive at the family's home tonight knowing this was the last time I'd likely see my girl and get to hug, kiss, and play with her. I almost had to send my husband in to handle the transfer alone because I broke down during the drive there. My body was reacting to the upset and stress so strongly that it provoked the near onset of a migraine. I was able to pull it together and get through it, but I still have to get through the transfer of my boy tomorrow.

That one will be worse because then they are really *gone*.

Our house will be so empty.

I am very sad right now.

I know the dogs are going to wonderful homes and that this is the responsible and loving thing to do for them.

It will just be very sad for me to be without them.

Again, thanks for all the advice and suggestions and sympathy.

Myself and my family and my *dogs* really appreciated it.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I just now found this post. What a heart wrenching time for you and your family. Big hugs being sent your way.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I am so sorry you had to go through this. I can't imagine what your night has been like, or even your week. As much as it must hurt, it does sound like you did the right thing for them. Again, so sorry...

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Aw Katie! I know this is just the WORST for you!! I can't even imagine how you must feel.
Glad you feel good about their homes. How did you find them? Your fliers?
Take care and the best to you in Manhattan!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts