Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i am new to the forum, but have been reading it some since acquiring a 2 year old male labradoodle from a local rescue 3 weeks ago. I had to go out of town for a day and i put Wally in a kennel for that day and overnight and picked him up the next evening, and the poor dog apparently held his urine and feces! He was going a ton that whole evening and even had an accident after drinking some water and was running across the room. Is there a way to avoid this? I am very hesitant to send him to a kennel again. The person who ran the kennel also said he was "laid back" which is totally NOT Wally. When i picked him up it looked as if he hadn't touched his dinner. Any thoughts?
(I would like to post a picture from my Iphotos but was unable to even though i had it in jpeg and the correct size. Not sure why it didn't work....)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear about your kennel experience. Perhaps your dog was on the verge of getting a urinary tract infection. He probably thought he was back at the shelter and shut down so to speak. It's not uncommon for them to not eat a meal the first day at the kennel. If he's still having accidents, I'd take him to the vet to check for an infection. I hope he is feeling better soon.

As far as posting pictures, you can't post directly from your computer. Upload to a picture service like Photobucket http://photobucket.com/, then you can copy image address from there and paste here. Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. We haven't had a dog before so we weren't quite sure WHY he would do this. I didn't know about the photobucket, so i will get a pic of Wally posted very soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
He might have felt stressed after the kennel. After being in a rescue home and a now a new one, it might have felt all a little overwhelming to him. Maybe he thought he was being left there permanently? We had a lab who on her first camping trip in the RV refused to go potty. We tried every 10 minutes. We really feel she did not like the camper experience and it was too much for her. It honestly was 24 hours before she went potty (and of course that was IN the camper). She was a very stressed dog though in general. Scared of a dog statue we had. She was a pound puppy and we think she was weaned WAY too early.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Poor Wally! Did you talk to the people at the kennel about this?
I agree that he might just have been stressed out. He should probably be back to normal soon. Since you've only had him for 3 weeks, he may be having a rough adjustment period from rescue to you to kennel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, i didn't talk to them. I just think i won't go back there. It was an indoor/outdoor run---no exercise yard. He may have also just been confused. The outside area was just a cage like thing too. If we DO need to take him again, i will try and go with one that has a large exercise yard that the dogs can go into to do their business and play. Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I see a couple of potential options. You could have someone come to your house to care for Wally when you are away.
I do that now as I have two cats and had a dog, our new puppy should be here in a couple of months.

The other thing is to see if there are any doggy daycares that you could bring him to. You could adjust him to staying at a different place for short periods of time and then increase the time.

Or if your really lucky you might have someone who will take him into their home while your away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts