Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my puppy is 9 months old. We are planning on getting her spayed asap. The only problem is, I think she might be in heat, but I don't know how to tell for sure.

Please don't worry, I am not letting her out of my sight! :wink:

My question is how do I tell and how long does it last? The reason I need to know is that the vet says it costs more to have her spayed if she is in heat. :shock:

Thanks for your help!

Gabrielle

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You vet should be able to tell you if in heat

they bleed then they swell, you can take a paper towel to check for bleeding,
i would never ever spay a dog when they are in heat ,,,it is not safe

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sometimes a dog won't bleed much, especially in the first few days...but most of the time bleeding is the first sign.
They also start to mount other dogs a lot and excessive licking can be signs. Most females swell a lot too, as Nancy said.
And I agree with Nancy that spaying while the dog is in heat is very dangerous. (Probably why it is more expensive.)
At her age, I am pretty sure you are right about your girl being in heat...so I would advise that you wait it out. It won't be pleasant and it could take up to two weeks (on rare occassions even longer) before she is past her cycle.
By the way, the best way to keep the male dogs from coming around is to not take her on walks. When she is out, she urinates often and it leaves a scent trail right to your home...male dogs follow that scent. I have never had stray males come around when my girls are in heat UNLESS I take them out for walks.
Be careful though, an eager male can scale even 6' fences! (And an eager female will help him find a way to her.)

Here is a link that explains (briefly) why it is unsafe to spay while the dog is in heat: http://www.wvcvets.com/faqs_repro.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts