Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cody had a few months of heartworm medicine (preventive), but then nothing (maybe starting in Oct?). I googled how often and it mentioned that depending on your region and mosquitos, it varies. We're in Illinois. When do we need to start up again?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
We are in the Chicago area too. I think we were supposed to go through November. It's evidently not necessary in winter - maybe after the first good freeze? That would make sense. You'll want to start up again in the spring but check with your vet.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
you can give it every month here in NY

·
Registered
448 Posts
My vet has recommended to give medicine year round to prevent heartworms here in South Carolina.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've just heard that there is now an annual injection you can give for heartworm. Failing that, I use an "administer at the back of the neck" medicine monthly.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
In South Carolina, we can have mosquitos in December with enough rain and a few warm days! All of my dogs have always taken heartworm prevention year round. For one thing, it makes it a regular habit which you are less likely to forget. And for another, to me it is not worth the few extra dollars you might save by not treating year round. Tyke takes a pill once a month, which thank goodness must be pretty tasty, b/c she never complains about it and gobbles it up!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I was told year round in Indiana. You can get those warm spells that will start those pesky things back up.

In Kansas, I give Cinnamon heartworm meds year round, too. She loves them. I used to have to bribe my old Cocker to take them, but Cinnamon gulps them right down.

Sam, what "back of the neck" stuff do you use?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Sam said:
Failing that, I use an "administer at the back of the neck" medicine monthly.
Are you thinking of the flea and tick treatment? That's the one you squirt between the shoulder blades. Different from heartworm meds.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Are you thinking of the flea and tick treatment? That's the one you squirt between the shoulder blades. Different from heartworm meds.
FYI, we do year round for both flees and heartworm here.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Same here. Our "bugs" seem to live year round in South Carolina! :shock:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Very interesting! My vet is nothing if not over cautious. I'm surprised we weren't told t give heartworm year round.

Deb

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You are absolutely right Annie - you cannot give the monthly heartworm treatment to dogs with heartworms - another reason to just continue the treatment year round!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting. Honestly our vet never said anything about it and never mentioned returning in the spring for either testing or restarting heartworm meds. Last we heard they want to see Cody again next fall for a follow-up hip xray.

I've never had a dog before, but my parents got one after I went to college and I recall them having a heartworm med reminder on their calendar. So since nothing had been said by my vet and my DH keeps forgetting to call and ask, I googled. And that's when I found that its only needed during mosquito season.

Guess I'll be back on DH's case to call the vet and see what they say.

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
985 Posts
We used to do the "summer-on, winter-off" schedule for heartworm meds with our Danes, but I've been giving Chouette the medication all year. We had a couple of mosquitoes in the house here last month! And sometimes we'll see one when we get a warm day in February, which happens here most years.

And yes, if you stop you have to test before restarting.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Our last Eskie liked the tablet so much, she would actually KNOW when the first of the month was - she would go to the cabinet and BEG for the thing!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts