Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 2 years now I have been giving my dogs interceptor Heartworm medication(Hw med + wormer). I bought into it as my dogs eat any kitty poo they can find outside, my kitty's and any stray's that hide around the yard.
I have recently started using a new local vet, a young gal, mid-late 20's. I like her... she is also a breeder, of Collies. She is more of the minimal basic type as far as medication, shots, etc. She only sells Heartguard? (the chewy squares one). This does not have the wormer in it. She also does not reccomend giving heartworm meds during pregnancy.
So..... what do the rest of you do/use? As I have stated before....my old vet clinic seems to have gotten abit vaccination happy.

G

·
Maya is on interceptor plus (heartworm + wormer). As a pup Maya had a lot of diarrhea so the vet put her on this as a percaution as we didn't know what was causing the diarrhea. Maya does fine on it so I am not inclined to change. I know it may be over medicating but with the all the things she can and does get into I like the little extra protection.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
In the summer Cacao is on sentinel, and then in fall thru winter is on interceptor. Sentinal helps with flies, hearworm, and worms.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I give the ivermectin either orally or sub-Q once a month. It's the active ingredient in Heartguard and other heartworm preventatives. It also kills fleas that are already on the dog, (doesn't prevent them) and most types of worms.It's traditionally used against worms (except tapeworms), but more recently found to be effective against most mites and some lice too.

Ivermectin is potentially deadly to certain dogs... sight hounds and collies are 2 that I know of. So you do need to do your homework before giving it. When given by itself like this, you can be more exact in your dosage as you give x amount per 10 lbs of body weight rather than the Heartguard which is the same dose for a 20 - 30 lbs weight range.

I buy mine at a farm supply store and have used it on my GSD's, Rotties and now Labs and poodles for many years without problem. If you're squeemish about giving a shot, shoot it into a hotdog and give the dog a treat. It takes a little longer to get in their system this way, but the long term affect is the same.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats odd..... the vet sells Heartguard and she herself breeds collies, one of the breeds you mentioned.
When you said that, I flashed on something said about Poodles and problems with Heartguard, and looked back for a previous post....
Momof2 said on a post dated 3/03/07:
I use Interceptor as well. My vet will not use Heartguard on poodles as she has had a bad outcome. I have also read other cases on the web about problems with Heartguard and poodles. In my vets mind it was not worth the risk with Dante being part poodle since other products are available. I buy my Interceptor from the vet - $25 for 6 months. I've not shoped around on price.
Still.....my question is with the monthly addition of wormers other than the heartworm medication. :? Is it something that is really necessary?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Judi, I guess my point got lost in the other info I included... sorry about that.
What I was trying to say was that since there's Ivermectin as the active ingredient, you shouldn't need to worm with another medicine unless it's tapeworms you're trying to kill since it does handle the other typesas well as the heart worm.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The safest HW preventative i feel is Interceptor, Heartguard has had quite a few dogs have reaction to in the past few years,
if the vet doesnt carry it ,,he can give you a prescription and you can actually order it most time cheaper
I use www.kvvet.com to order most of my medicines

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all!!
I think I will just stick with the Interceptor for now...... they have all been on it for over 2 yrs w/no problems.
And Nancy.....do you continue to give it during pregnancy? I am interested to know since you are very cautious too & if you do, should have seen any problems crop up since you have bred alot of litters. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I would talk to the vet, do your own research reguarding that,
I dont ,,,but then i have the added expense of testing to make sure clear before restarting them on it, or whatever HW preventative i am using at the time, sometimes i just use holistic preventative
Some good info and interesting reading

http://www.preciouspets.org/heartwormprevention.htm
http://www.dogaware.com/HeartwormPrevention.html
http://www.naturalvetforpets.com/faqs.html

Some good repellents

Natural Repellent Recipe
Repels fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, flies and also makes the van/car smell great. Spray dogs and blankets. Use before going into the show ring instead of those other sprays; no chemical smell spray. Stuff smells great. Dogs look great and gives an additional shine to their coat.
Ingredients are full strength oils:
Tea Tree Oil
Rosemary Oil
Sage Oil
Cedarwood Oil
Peppermint Oil
Orange Oil
Eucalyptus Oil
Citronella Oil
Pine Needle Oil
DIRECTIONS:
Mix 4-6 drops of each with 32 oz of any natural shampoo and now you have a natural flea shampoo OR Mix 2-3 drops each with 16 oz Water in a spray bottle. Shake before each application and spray light over entire body. Health food stores in your area sell the oils or you can purchase online

CITRUS REPELLANT: Cut a lemon into quarters and place in a pint jug. Cover the lemon with boiling water and let it steep overnight. Next day you have a flea repellant that you can use in a spray bottle. Spray all over your dog remembering especially behind the ears and around the head generally (careful of eyes), around the base of the tail
(once again keep away from delicate bits) and under your dog armpits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts