Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you all get your heartworm tabs from? Which brand do you use?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use Interceptor as well. My vet will not use Heartguard on poodles as she has had a bad outcome. I have also read other cases on the web about problems with Heartguard and poodles. In my vets mind it was not worth the risk with Dante being part poodle since other products are available. I buy my Interceptor from the vet - $25 for 6 months. I've not shoped around on price.

Remember, your dog needs a blood test to check for heartworm before starting the medication. If they already have heartworm giving the preventative is a big no no.

Heather

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
momoftwo said:
I use Interceptor as well. My vet will not use Heartguard on poodles as she has had a bad outcome. I have also read other cases on the web about problems with Heartguard and poodles. In my vets mind it was not worth the risk with Dante being part poodle since other products are available. I buy my Interceptor from the vet - $25 for 6 months. I've not shoped around on price.

Remember, your dog needs a blood test to check for heartworm before starting the medication. If they already have heartworm giving the preventative is a big no no.

Heather
Sadie was born in October and I got her end of December. From her first vet visit she was given a monthly Sentinel. She just had her third one today. The vet charges a pretty penny though and I know I can get it cheaper elsewhere. To my knowledge she's never been tested but I think they do that around 7 months??
Good to know about Heartgard!

·
Registered
98 Posts
We use Heartgard and get it from the vet. I don't think it cost very much through our vet and she gave us free samples for the first few months, until they reached 25 pounds. That sure saved us some $. I'm going to have to look into that Heartgard poodle thing, I didn't know there could be a problem.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
We use heartgard for winter then in April I will use Sentinel. With our old dog we did that and it worked really well. I like Sentinel because it does everything, fleas/worms. I had been getting in thur our vet but I just saw yesterday at the pet store they sell it. So I am going to check price and see.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we use heartguard and buy from 1800petmeds.com. Our vet actually recommended we buy from them because they said it's the exact same thing they sell, but for much less money :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky gets a Sentinel tablet on the first day of each month. I get it from the vet. It's a prescription item. If you get a prescription and buy it online, Novartis (the company who makes it) won't warranty it. That means you have no recourse if give your dog Sentinel purchased online and the dog gets heartworms or anything else Sentinel is supposed to prevent. I know this because I called Novartis and talked to them about buying from a vet vs. buying online.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts