Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had to have Moses put down yesterday. As many here know, he was my constant companion and best buddy so this has been traumatic to say the least. Thank God Greg was home and was a great help and support for me. Moses had been "off" for a while, I think I mentioned on here that he'd been losing weight. He was in kidney failure, so his symptoms were vague until he reached a very low level of function, then got very sick very fast. It's been an expensive, heartbreaking past couple of weeks. All he had to look forward to was pain and suffering, so we decided to save him from that. Release was all we could offer.

Then around 3 am last night when we were asleep, Canada choked to the point of semi-consciousness before I was finally able to dislodge the CAT LITTER and doo-doo she had in her throat. So we very nearly lost her and her entire litter as well. She had collapsed but had made it close enough to me that I heard her thrashing around and realized she was in trouble and needed help. I stayed up with her the rest of the night to make sure she was ok and didn't go into early labor from it, so today am exhausted besides sad over Moses.

My vet assured me that the issue Moses had will not pass to his pups, so for that I am grateful. I don't know how I'd have been able to deal with it if his problem put his previous litter and the 2 upcoming ones at risk.

So if I'm not around, it's 'cause I'm just nursing my wounds. I figure I can share this here since you'll all understand what I'm going through.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hang in there! A lot of us know what it is to lose a Best Friend :( so you are not alone :wink: I'll drink a toast to Moses tonight...m

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
(((((((((((TINK))))))))))))))))))))

i am sooooooooooo sorry about Moses .

and sorry to hear you almost had a close call with Canada
and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

·
Registered
659 Posts
We're both sorry about Moses. We know full well how much it hurts. Our thoughts are with you.

G

·
Oh Tink, I am so, so sorry. May your fond memories comfort you, along with the beautiful Moses pups that will be delivered soon. You are in my prayers.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Oh Tink, I am so sorry! I feel like I lost a member of my own family. Prayers going out to you!! Please keep us up to date on Canada, and to Canada.....Honey....stay out of the litterbox! It's not chocolate!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, I knew this was a place where this would be understood.

Julie, he'd have been 2 in June, so was still a young dog.

Megan, Canada is a large heavy dog and about a week from delivering pups, so is even bigger than her usual 82 lbs. I decided the only chance was to use her weight to my advantage, so I picked up her front half and literally dropped her back on the floor a couple times. I was afraid I'd hurt her leg which she had pulled tight to her chest, but figured even if I broke it it wouldn't matter much if she was dead. I used to be an EMT, so that's the same thinking we were taught in regard to breaking ribs during CPR. I guess I remembered more than I realized until I needed to use it. :(

She's fine today, doesn't seem to even be sore from my rough handling. Had she not been so largely pregnant, I'd have tried a Heimlich manuever on her, but with pups so big, I didn't dare.

What's really frustrating is that this afternoon she was caught in the litter box again. I'm scrambling to find a way to make sure she can't get at it again. It's a covered one, and is turned toward the wall so she has to turn it around to get her head inside, but that obviously didn't slow her down much.

Thank you to all who have sent messages and cards. I do appreciate it. It's odd not having Moses here beside me. Canada seems to think since there's a vacancy, she can get closer... and while I do love her, it's just not the same. I'll be glad when I have the pups to distract me.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Tink ...

Loving thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry.

Know we are holding you close in our hearts.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Oh Tink.....I am in shock over what I just read. I am so, so sorry. As gene said, I feel as though we lost a dear forum friend. ....and then Canada on top of that, my heart just aches for you.

Prayers from NJ for you. {{{{{Tink}}}}}

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Oh, Tink - I am so sorry - I just saw this post. That is one of the hardest decisions that a dog lover has to make - I went through the same thing with my Eskie last July....at a time like that, peace is the only thing we can give them...We're all hurting with you! :cry:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Just found this post.....I AM SO SORRY Tink!!! I am sure it is especially heart wrenching beings he was your side kick! :cry:
Thank god you caught Canada..... that would simply be too much to handle at once...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tink I am so sorry about poor Moses :cry: I know you must be devastated.

At least you were able to save Canada and the pups. good quick thinking there...makes me think i need to learn some doggie CPR...you never know what they will get into...!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts