Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dexter has been SO much more active since we got Kirby...he's lost a bit of weight. Kirby, who came to us already thin, has lost a few pounds. I have no concerns there is anything wrong with them (they have a ton of energy and Dexter is acting totally "normal").

Besides feeding them more food, what could we feed them as treats/additions to their diet that would add some meat to them but not be totally unhealthy? Remember - Dex has food allergies so we have to be careful what we give him. The first thing we have done is to add more peanut butter to their diet (PB is fine for Dex) and I starte filling their Kongs with their food and freeze it as a treat when we go to work.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Now why do you want a fat dog?! :lol: It sounds like they have both slimmed down by playing with each other. Not the worst thing. I'll assume that you can't just increase their regular food - that they must not be all that interested in it.

Since I don't know Dexter's food restrictions, its hard to guess what would be appropriate. Can he eat grains? Maybe you can find a tasty treat from one of these recipes:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/moredogtreatrecipes.htm

I make a variation of the fish cookie recipe for Charlie. He loves the salmon flavor as it is a change from his regular food. I posted my own recipe in the introductions thread. The salmon, flaxseed, eggshells, etc. are all healthy, nutritious and no doubt fattening.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'm with gracielou: bland diet does beef them up

but also wondering leslie why the need to fatten them up? winter is coming and will their activity time outside be less than the summer?
and some dogs do beef up a tad during the winter

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I was worrying that they have lost weight :) Maybe it isn't bad...I mean Dex was up to 67 lbs and now he's 57...but maybe that is ok.

haha...now I feel silly...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie......send Dex and Kirby here :wink: for about a week or so

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Leslie, how tall is Kirby. Tanner is 24.5" and he weighs 54 lbs. He doesn't ever eat all of his food so I figure he isn't hungry. I think his hard playing at daycare and all of the walks and chuckit keep him slim.

Maybe Kirby's weight loss isn't all bad as long as he is health :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
KingstonTodd said:
is yogurt ok? The full fat version may add a few lbs to them.
Denver gets a cup of yogurt everyday and does not put on weight.
Could be his exercise routine keeps him slim.................

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
blueteal said:
KingstonTodd said:
is yogurt ok? The full fat version may add a few lbs to them.
Denver gets a cup of yogurt everyday and does not put on weight.
Could be his exercise routine keeps him slim.................
like chasing 9 cats while you're at work Sue? hahahaaaaa :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
like chasing 9 cats while you're at work Sue? hahahaaaaa
Yup that is part of it teehee
Of course you know... that he just opens up the catnip
and then sits there looking all cutsey when we walk in the door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts