Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was woundering, how do you all come up with your Health Guarantee and Purchase Contracts? I have seen some really nice written ones out there, but i am not quite sure how to word mine better or what should all be included. I never delt with any guarantees or contracts when i worked for my uncle, and i just think mine are missing something. Thanks, Jennifer

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello Jen,
Everyone that I know of drafts their own contract...but usually they ask other breeders for "samples" of their contracts and some give permission to use the full contract, others allow you to use it for ideas only...
ILA (now ALAA) will give member breeders a sample contract and allow you to use it.
Basically, coming from a legal standpoint, a contract should protect both parties. The breeder must put in clauses to say EXACTLY what they will do under specific circumstances. If your contract is too vague, it may not be enforceable. From a buyer's standpoint, they need to know EXACTLY what the breeder will be responsible for.
I believe that most of the breeder contracts that I have seen are much too vague and don't come close to covering the serious issues involved in this business...ask yourself a lot of "what ifs" and put the clear answer in your contract.
The time that an issue pops up is not the time to consider what to do...because if you wait, you may be caught up in a very costly legal battle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts