Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new here.... found it on the web today! I must start by saying I LOVE LABRADOODLES. I saw my first one about three years ago and KNEW I would have one. I have always had poodles, but the doodle is now my first love! So much so that I bought a male doodle and have bred to my akc poodle and now have my first litter! 11 healthy beautiful pups that I just can't stop watching.

Now its time for the hard part... letting them go. They are 4 weeks old and I have sold 4 already. I want to offer a health guarantee and if possible maybe even have an application for prospective parents. I had to say no to one because I wasnt satisfied with there responses to some of my questions. I felt bad, but I love these little guys so much.

Any suggestions on forms? And am I leaving anything out?

M~

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, a health guarantee is GREAT- I wouldn't buy a dog without at least a 2 year guarantee on all genetic defects (not just ones that can kill them).

Also along those lines, have your dogs had their eyes, hips, etc tested? (You didn't mention it if they are). That is the first thing I look for, since a health guarantee is only the icing. I don't WANT my dog to have problems; I do want them taken care of if they happen, but I want all precautions to prevent them taken. (such as testing for genetic defects in breeding dogs, and retiring or not breeding those who have them.)

As far as an application, I applaud you for trying to find the best homes for your pups. Not every home is the best home for your puppies... you need to find the best match for their personalities and breed requirments (like lots of exercise.) An application or personal interview is the perfect way to weed out those who may not be the right match for your particular puppies.

Anyway, that's my bit... good luck!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi M, welcome and congratulations on the new litter...I have a litter of 10 pups about the same age so I know what you are going through.
I am going to refer you to my web page because it tells you everything that I could tell you about what a responsible breeder will do.
I think that Jennifer answered your post perfectly.
Please feel free to PM me (by clicking on the PM button below, you can send a private message) if you have any questions or comments.
Oh, I did want to mention that 4 weeks is way too early for them to leave the mother...I do hope that you mean that you are selling them, but keeping them until they are at least 8 weeks old...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh my... yes jac thats exactly what I meant. they are pre-sold ;)

and will live with me for more weeks!

thank you I will peruse your website and contact you via pm.

this age pup is sooo fun. when I bring their kibble I say good morning puppies and you should see the reaction I get! I tube fed the little angels the first four days til mothers milk dropped and I feel sooo bonded to them.

I have no problems with a two year guarantee...
I actually want to give a lifetime placement also, but don't
know how to work it. if a family ever finds themselves not wanting
or being able to keep the pup I want them to return it (no refund of course) and I will re-place it in a home. no charge :) I hope that makes sense.

and yes J&M I am personally interviewing each person in depth and if they know it or not and making lots of observations on how and what they answer and I am finding that letting them talk they say LOTS of stuff!
(like the woman who's husband felt $100 was too much to pay for a dog and she wanted to know if I had any left overs could she have one?! eeeeek NO WAY. I am selling my pups for $750 if they can't pay that how will they pay a vet bill if one arose??!!)

M~

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes... our little Molly is a rehome that was given back to the breeder due to a "contract" that stated rehomes go through her. It really is great to take responsibility for your puppies like that!
As far as lifetime placement, you are just talking about rehoming, right? Most contracts that I have seen state that the pup must be returned to the breeder in case of rehoming- this is somewhat normal. It would be great to include in your contract.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes... re-homing. exactly.
I found a contract I really liked. It referenced the two year guarantee,
the need for buyers to get the pup checked, keep it healthy and up to date, and give it back if they can't keep it.
I think its a good contract.

you guys are great here. thanks. I found the contract elsewhere, but I knew
what to look for thanks to you all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts