Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that doodles have less health concerns then purebreds because they are hybrids, but is the same true for F1Bs? Since they are mostly poodle do they have more health concerns like a standard poodle? I'm trying to do all my research before I decide between an F1, F1B and goldendoodle. Thanks for all the great info on this forum!

·
Registered
462 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, because they are hybrids, there's less of a chance that they would get genetic defects. With purebreds, you're mixing a high chance with a high chance. With the hybrids, they have the option to choose REALLY good genes, and do a WHOLE bunch of testing to make sure that the parents aren't directly carrying a genetic problem. That's not to say it doesn't happen. It's like a recessive gene. There's a slight possibility that two recessives will mix, but there is a possibility. That's why health warranties are so important- that 1 in a 100 chance. But I'm pretty sure that because they are still hybrids and inline breeding is forbidden, the chances of those genetic problems are slimmer.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
that is a great question!
Having one parent that is a Labradoodle minimizes some issues, of course, like vWD, because that disease needs 2 genetic markers to cause a dog to be affected. FOR THAT REASON I test my 50/50 Labradoodles for that disease before breeding him/her to a Poodle for F1b puppies.

Then there is the fact that the F1b stage is the stage that has the most puppies who are the least likely to shed. Most of the people who reach us and ask for Labradoodle puppies are asking for a loving (Retriever-like) dog who is allergy friendly, which is exactly why I breed that generation, but also why I test for that particular disease, and why I would test for any others that are specific to Poodles if I heard of them.

I would guess from a logical standpoint there is some decreasing of the hybrid vigor with the decreasing of the hybrid proportion. This is why finding or using a breeder who does genetic screening and the testing that is available is SO IMPORTANT, or why some people might choose the F1 generation over F1b, if allergies aren't a big risk.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
a lot of akc breeds are line bred. you can google it to get more info but in a nutshell it is breeding relatives. a reputable american labradoodle breeder does not line breed and uses tested stock so if a labradoodle was bred by a reputable breeder it would stand to reason that the genetic issues would be greatly decreased over a different breed. There is hybrid vigor but there is research both for and against.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll have to ask the breeder if she line breeds and what type of testing she does for the F1bs.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
also when you ask about testing ask about guarantee....
there should be a minimum 2 year guarantee against genetic disease

please ask us here if you have any questions, there have been several threads dedicated to this exact subject. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm a middle school student and I am currently working on a sort of 'research report' concerning the health of Labradoodles. It would help me immensely if you'd take 2 minutes and answer few short questions. Thank you so much in advance...

(Eventhough you may be asked to fill out your email address, I will not be seeing it, nor will I be collecting it - your answers will remain anonymous)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.